New enclosure damp floor!

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, Just got my beautifull chilli.

Its my first spider so quite new obviously. Ive just set up her new tank and i soaked a block of was like wood but after soaking in warm water turned to soil, this is what ive used as the floor as recommended. But as im sitting here tank set up thermo, heat pad under the bottom, water, log, moss. Ive just realised the floor is still damp and some condinsation is building up on the plastic walls near the end where the heat pad is.. is this ok to have her in there while the floor drys out?? will that much humidity bother her??:?

thanks for any help guys im super excited to be chosen by a little spider;P

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I assume you mean a Rose hair (G. rosea). In which case, they like it DRY. So your spider will not like it how it is now. You should let it dry out. Are you talking about coconut fiber?

You also need to remove the heating pad from the bottom. If you are going to use one, place it on the side.

And finally, why are you using moss?

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Ok, thanks for the quick reply first off,

Your right yes that is the breed. They suggested it was the best to start off with,

i took her out, removed all the coconut fibre stuff, placed it in a box by the radiator to dry, i put an old t shirt on the base put in the pieces of bark and her water. I removed the heating pad from the bottom and put it on the side. so she's now in a dry envoirnment with some bark to hide under. i wont put the coconut back down till its dried out. and the moss i was using, they said to spray some with water and place it on top of the bark?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, thanks for the quick reply first off,

Your right yes that is the breed. They suggested it was the best to start off with,

i took her out, removed all the coconut fibre stuff, placed it in a box by the radiator to dry, i put an old t shirt on the base put in the pieces of bark and her water. I removed the heating pad from the bottom and put it on the side. so she's now in a dry envoirnment with some bark to hide under. i wont put the coconut back down till its dried out. and the moss i was using, they said to spray some with water and place it on top of the bark?
What do you mean by bark? You mean bark substrate?

You dont need the moss in there. How are you supplying water?

**Here is a caresheet for you to look at**
http://sites.google.com/site/tarantuladb/care-sheets-2/g-rosea

Also check out the sticky at the top that says "How to really care for your Rose Hair"

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
by bark i literaly mean three lumps of wood... solid pieces. To climb on or sit under i guess is their function.

and they provided a reptile bowl for water.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
by bark i literaly mean three lumps of wood... solid pieces. To climb on or sit under i guess is their function.

and they provided a reptile bowl for water.
Okay just making sure you weren't talking about substrate. Do you have a sponge in the bowl? If so, you need to remove it. They are breeding grounds for bacteria.

Other than that, just go by those care sheets and you are off to a good start.

Good luck and Welcome to Arachnoboards

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the world of tarantula
You'll have lots to learn and lots of questions but most of them will be simple replies.
I strongly suggest you take a read of this post, its far more accurate than what a pet shop is likely to suggest.
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Make sure the enclosure has the lid removed to let the moisture dry out, and turn it occassionally. There's no real issue with the moss in there, you could use this in one part of the enclosure to provide a moist area, but there's no need to have it completely covering your substrate.

What size is it and what part of the UK do you come from?

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the world of tarantula
You'll have lots to learn and lots of questions but most of them will be simple replies.
I strongly suggest you take a read of this post, its far more accurate than what a pet shop is likely to suggest.
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Make sure the enclosure has the lid removed to let the moisture dry out, and turn it occassionally. There's no real issue with the moss in there, you could use this in one part of the enclosure to provide a moist area, but there's no need to have it completely covering your substrate.

What size is it and what part of the UK do you come from?
Not sure on size, but it will grow some more apparently, and im living in london, although Im a Dublin lad:D

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im working in London at the moment, right next to Tower of London

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Im working in London at the moment, right next to Tower of London
Not far from me, i work at London bridge and live in Greenwich..

just obssesively watching my thermometer in the tank, its coming up at 21c but the dial is turned up to 27c.. should be ok i guess.

I put in 2 locusts they just chillin in there too:?

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hiya Dreadlock. One locust will be fine in there, but your spider may not eat it. Right now, it's probably still adjusting to it's new environment so may not be in an eating mood. If thats the case, two locusts pinging about in there may just be adding to the stress.

If you want to dry your substrate out quicker, spread it in thinnish layers on a baking tray and whack it in the oven. You'll have to stir it around every now and then. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't start to burn and turn black and it will dry out a lot faster than in the box by the radiator IME.

Good luck and be sure to read the caresheets that have been linked.

(btw, I live right by London Bridge and my parents are ex-pat Dubliners!) :D