New Emporer.

Arachnid-tiles

Arachnopeon
Well, I got an Emporer Scorpion -- E. Imp. is the scientifical name, I believe, but I appologize if I'm wrong -- last night, and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on keeping this species?

Right now, I've just got a pretty basic set up.

I have Goliath [my scorp] in a 10 gallon tank, with sloped Bed-A-Beast substrate ranging from 1/2 of an inch to about 3 and 1/2 inches deep.

I've got a wide, shallow dish with these Cricket Gel Drinking Cube thingys the store recomended for his drinking water.

And I feed him medium to large cricket's, but not sure how often I should do this, or how many.

His size is, from what I've heard, still pretty small, at about 2 or 3 inches; just his body, not including his tail.

Well, thanks in advance for any advice I get.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pandinus imperator is the scientific name. He could do with some more substrate. Maybe around 5". He'll be fine just drinking water. 2-3" of the body sounds just about right for an adult P. imperator. Measure it with the tail to be for sure. He should be around 8".

Congrats in the scorpion.

Mike

Arachnid-tiles

Arachnopeon
Thanks.

Alright, I'll add another brick of Bed-A-Beast to the cage.

Does he need a hide, though, or will he just burrow?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It needs something to start with. Optimal will be to goto home depot and buy 2 bricks (86 cents a piece) and then take a piece of slate (they may or may not have that, but it's around) on top, which will give it a hide to feel secure and then it will burrow from there. Obviously if you want to buy one of those half log hides or something thats fine but the afformentioned is actually pretty cheap. If you do get bricks, but can't find slate, just find the flatest rock around your property to place over the top. Wash, then wrap all the bricks/rocks in tin foil and bake them for an hour at like 300, especially if they were outside and or around chemicals (as many store bought bricks are). Also you want both bricks to be on the bottom of the enclosure, because if the scorp burrows, then bricks may collapse and crush it otherwise.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ditch the cricket gel... and go with plain water (preferably distilled). Main reason I say this is cus Emps like to bathe ever so often.

I feed my emps once a week and give them 2 or 3 large crickets. i also provide them with a hide incase the don't burrow.

polphot

Arachnopeon
Ditch the cricket gel... and go with plain water (preferably distilled). Main reason I say this is cus Emps like to bathe ever so often.
Agree! the cricket gel is not a recommended water source. Ive also read somewhere that its composition is not suitable for them. Just get a shallow water container and put some rocks/pebble/shells in if you fear your "Goliath" will drown.

Goodluck to your new pal.:)

Last edited:

Arachnid-tiles

Arachnopeon
Alright, I'll ditch the Cricket Gel Drink.

I was just gonna use dechlorinated water or whatever, but they recomended that, and said they wouldn't go without it, so I got it.

Well, thanks for the help.

But are there any other like, beginner tips I should know?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well flat stone I suggested is better to get because it will encourage breeding if you ever aquire more than one. To help keep humidity high, many use a "false bottom" which consists of a few inches of aquarium stone below the peat and a tube allowing you to refill the aquifer that the false bottom creates. Also heat pads should be on the side of the tank rather than the bottom as the directions say. (That's if you have one).