new dude with scorp questions (not the usual ones i hoep)

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
new dude with scorp questions (not the usual ones i hope)

ok, so im thinking of getting a T or a scorp, but i think i would like to catch wichever one it is i get.

i live in phoenix az, are there any restrictions on catching them here?

even if i dont catch one, i like going out in the desert at night, and ive never actually seen one. although in the past ive been looking specifically for geckos, the scorps must be out there.

any tips on just finding them and seeing them?

also, on keeping T vs Scorp? any pros and cons? anybody prefer one over the other? is one substantially harder to keep than the other?

and and all thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello, and welcome to the wonderful addiction of scorpion keeping. I would go for the scorpions... I am bias towards scorpions so I can't say anything about T's.

About the legality or restrictions of catching scorpions in AZ I'm not sure, but since you could probably open the phone book and find over a hundred exterminators versed in killing them as pest I would have to say NO there would not be legislation hindering you catching them. (except for in state or federal parks, there might be laws about collecting there)

About what to look for and where, and how to go about seeing them...

I would buy a LED UV torch / flashlight, search this forum for UV or BL or blacklight to find slews of info.

Here is a link I found of interest. http://www.desertmuseum.org/books/nhsd_scorpions_new.html And below in an excerpt of the info... "Three species of scorpions are commonly found in the Arizona Upland subdivision of the Sonoran Desert. They are the bark scorpion, Centruroides exilicauda, the striped tail or devil’s scorpion, Vaejovis spinigerus, and the giant or desert hairy scorpion, Hadrurus arizonensis.

Although more than 30 species of scorpions are found in Arizona, only the sting of the bark scorpion is considered to be truly life threatening."

As far as IDing them just post pics here and someone will help you out. Also as far as conditions of keeping them, observe the habitat you collected them from and duplicate it the best you can.

Cheers Thaedion :cool:

Last edited:

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thaedion,

u rock.

p.s. i actually own the book you posted that quote from :D

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also live in AZ and I lived in phoenix for 7 years, no restrictions that I know of, and if their was (doubtful) I'm sure I've violated them all by now...but you should have no problem finding C. sculpturatus, V. spinigerus, H. arizonensis and others just by black lighting at night and rock flipping during the day...

Last edited: