new cobalt blue, i got pictures :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Step 2..... KEEP fingers away from H. Lividum.... LOL
step 3... always keep fingers away from H.lividum!

Hey do you have pictures of the enclosure? Since this is an obligated burrower they need substrate at least 1.5 times their leg span. Beautiful girl, I assume this is probably female as the males are pretty ruddy looking.

Once this girl, makes her burrower you probably won't see her much... Pet Hole {D

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

click on the following link... it'll give you all the needed basic info. You haven't experience an H. lividum temper tantrum, yet. lol

Haplopelma lividum Care Sheet

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Their colors are just as impressive as their attitude
generally speaking.I would also have to advise to keep your fingers and any other body parts away from this spider unless you have a desire to get bit.I am surprised she didn`t throw a threat display when you touched her in these pictures.I am curious if she moved at all when you touched her because it looks like she is in the same spot in all the pictures and her legs are angled funny.You said you just got her and i was curious if you ordered her on line or purchased her from a pet store.

grayhound

Arachnosquire
agree

generally speaking.I would also have to advise to keep your fingers and any other body parts away from this spider unless you have a desire to get bit.I am surprised she didn`t throw a threat display when you touched her in these pictures.I am curious if she moved at all when you touched her because it looks like she is in the same spot in all the pictures and her legs are angled funny.You said you just got her and i was curious if you ordered her on line or purchased her from a pet store.
i agree..... she looks kinda funny..... maybe dehydrated??? You might want to hydrate her....

My cobalt will go to threat posture just by opening the lid...... if you get tongs or ANYTHING close, its getting struck at!!

Give her DEEP substrate, and keep the humidity HIGH.... around 80 or so.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
yeah try feeding her, wetting the top layer of substrate and offering an overfull water dish, then leave her alone. She looks stressed. The possible dehydration will add to the stress. I am guessing this girl is WC (wild caught)?

If that doesn't work and you begin to signs of death like the "death curl", you need to then get a small show box style plastic container, put holes in it and make an ICU. Which is clean warm wetted paper towls laid on the bottom. Place the T in it and and see what happens.

We'll cross that road if that's what happens.

Last edited:

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i agree..... she looks kinda funny..... maybe dehydrated??? You might want to hydrate her....
She doesn't look dehydrated at all. Her abdomen is plump. She looks stressed from the move more than anything.

Beautiful girl, I assume this is probably female as the males are pretty ruddy looking.
Males look the same as females until their ultimate molt.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
She doesn't look dehydrated at all. Her abdomen is plump. She looks stressed from the move more than anything.

and you know this is b/c you are there.

I have seen several males that look different...

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and you know this is b/c you are there.

I have seen several males that look different...
Same spider:

Before maturing molt

aaaaaand after

So I know not because I am there, but because I have kept several Haplopelma (lividum and others) and seen males before and after they've matured.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Same spider:

Before maturing molt

aaaaaand after

So I know not because I am there, but because I have kept several Haplopelma (lividum and others) and seen males before and after they've matured.
that very well may be, but you came across all wrong.

grayhound

Arachnosquire

I rescued a Rose hair from a guy who had no idea how to take care of it about 1 month ago..... It had a HUGE abdomen...... but when I took her and put her in a proper enclosure with proper substrate, witha WATER DISH..... What did she do???? She went straight to the water dish and drank for a LONG time...... pretty sure she was dehydrated.

I agree with this quote..... and i also agree with being stressed from the move quote too...

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

I am also very good with a camera, and can take pictures of the same spider, and make them look totally different with different lighting and different camera settings............. NOT saying this is the case here, but just saying that pictures can't do argument justice on this topic.... you just have to see and experience it first hand.

I DO AGREE that H. Lividum looks different after final molt......

Back to the original poster.......

Giver her deep ECO earth substrate...... a water dish...... and keep the humidity HIGH!!! Also..... My H. Lividums ABOSULTELY HATE the light. If you keep it dark for her for a while, she might feel more safe and settle in faster.

Oh Yeah..... GET SOME TONGS!!!! or a paintbrush or something!!! You DO NOT want to get bit by a H. Lividum!!!!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree that the disposition of your spiders legs make it appear dehydrated. If the legs are always bent inward, making them appear to walk on their "tippy toes" that can indicate the beginning of the process known commonly as a "death curl". This is what happens when their internal fluid levels get low and they can't maintain the hydraulic pressure to move their limbs properly.

Not saying it IS dehydrated, just that it APPEARS that it MIGHT be.

Also your substrate needs to be more moist. It should look more like the sub in Flamesbane's pics. A good method of encouraging burrowing is to make sure the substrate is moist deep down and make a starter burrow. Once she senses that all the good, moist coolness is down there she will start digging for it. I've found that coco coir is not as mold resistant as peat (by far) so be aware that you should keep an eye open for mold/fungus and may find it necessary to replace your coco with peat at some point down the line.

jolsen91

Arachnopeon
the reason i was touching her is to show the abnormality in her behavior she was shipped and when i got her she was real lathargic like this but after a day i check on her and she is acting normal agrassive like shes going to tear my head off if i get near her and then the next day she is actin like this again ill keep the humidity up and leave her alone and go with that

grayhound

Arachnosquire
pics of my enclosure

Here are some pics of one of my cobalt's home..... The plant is not doing well..... I'm going to replace it with a different one soon.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Possible nematodes infection with the palps held under the fangs?

grayhound

Arachnosquire
only one

Possible nematodes infection with the palps held under the fangs?
He was only doing that in that one picture..... I think its cause the wet moss was right there under him. He wanders every night when the lights go off, and usually chills in the vertical hide against the glass..... and eats well......

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
very nice.. I love the H. lividum (Cobalt Blue's).....always have.

jolsen91

Arachnopeon
really i dont think shes come out of it shes movin around a lil more but not acting normal but i brought up the heat to eighty and the humidity is at eighty five