new coat coming

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm glad this one is about to molt, it's going to look really nice, already pretty large. I think that if heros don't have a humidity gradient(which this one didn't but does now), one symptom that pops up with too much humidity is an apparent fungal growth(mycosis) on the antennae. They turn a little dark and is obvious to me that they become less sensitive. I think this is another female and was having trouble mating with a male I have because of her insensitive antennae she taps on the male with. I don't know for sure about that, it's how it looks to me. So this will make 3 females and one male I have. I really expect plings from heros heros next year, I've bred the other two and going to do attempt it again in the Spring.

Just a pic of arizonensis plings:

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They all look realy nice! I have to say I underestimated these species up til now. Do you give them any special winter cooling etc?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"Underestimated", weren't interested, or hadn't noticed? I saw my first one in the mid eighties and is still the one I really like out of all the Scolopendra. I guess that is unusual with a person living in their native habitat. Most would take them granted I suppose. I try to cool them to around 65 in winter for about 3 months only because of thinking of their natural environment and where I've found them during the cooler season. I have found them at the base of rotting juniper stumps in the winter, close enough to the surface so that there is not a constant underground temp of say, 70 to 72F. I kept them too cool I think a couple of years ago. Maybe even 70 is OK(?)

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the answere!
Shouldnt be impossible for me to keep either then, if they acclimate well, as I have other critters that demand about the same temps.
Underestimated as in not as exciting to keep as other sp's. I fell in love with centipedes after seeing a "chinese tiger-leg". But it wouldnt be the first time i start liking a species after a while, they grow on you {D