New chihuahua puppy! (Breed specific info)

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got this new puppy, he's a chihuahua, born first week of September.

I've never had or even thought of keeping a chihuahua. I've always liked bigger or furrier dogs,
but a situation bought this puppy into my life.
He was born from a litter of two, where the other, born before him, did not make it.
He and his mother were in the animal hospital overnight on IV.
His mother because of massive blood loss and he to stay alive.
This all happened on the day he was born, due to complications.
Well I decided to post this thread not only to share but also to discuss breed specific factoids
and get dog food recommendations/warnings.
What's good/bad/completely out..?
He won't be with me for another few weeks, but I am getting together what he needs.
Food, crate/bed, kennel for vet visits, toys, bowls, clipper, styptic, doggy first aid kit,
leash, collar, baggies for walks, advantix for prevention of parasites, and doggy shampoo.
Plus a few other things here and there.
I mainly want breed specific info (what don't I know?) and experiences with these..
feel free to share.
I'm really worried about giving him the right kind of food though. Have a bag of "Nutrish"
on the way, which was already recommended to me, and was reading up on Science Diet.
Also, have some concerns about him being the only puppy who survived.
What happens when they miss out on those crucial first weeks with litter-mates?
I'm sure he will be fine, since Mama also teaches him, but it's a concern.
I have a 3 yr old and he learns not to bite hard or at all primarily from litter mates...
Thanks in advance..
Here he is, his name is Desoto. :)
The picture's horrible but it's all I have.

Last edited:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have 2 chihuahuas along with my heeler and the new golden retriever/german shepherd puppy.

they're very yappy, you'll always know when there's someone at the door or outside the window. they have an issue with house training (stubborn little *******s) so you might invest in a spot bot or something like that which is a good idea with puppies anyway. they're very affectionate, sometimes clingy which can be good or bad depending on the situation. they're prone to be kinda frail so make sure that you get them the best food available, science diet is not. money should be no object here as they really don't eat much at all.
make sure you socialize them well with other dogs of all sizes(monitored of course) and children so that you don't have problems later, they can get a little uppity and start to think that they're the baddest thing on 4 legs.

these are based on my own observations only, your mileage may vary.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. (What is a spot-bot??)

Also have some new info:
THIS JUST IN:
My friend called me and told me her god-sister's chihuahua, who had given birth just 4 days before
hers (my puppy's mother), has passed away unexpectedely! :(

Her puppies were alone and beginning to starve. She asked me for some
advice on possibly making Delilah their foster mother, and I walked her
through the introduction of the new puppies over the phone.
In the end it was a success! They're all being nursed by Delilah tonight!
My Desoto and two other orphan pups! It has been a great night for us!
I can't wait to see them all in person tomorrow.

Here are some photos:

Desoto and his mama

Delilah after she accepted the orphan pups! (I'm so happy for them)

and finally, my Desoto with his new brothers!

Last edited:

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sharing some new pictures

Well either no one keeps chihuahuas, or no one cares to share my experience! :}
Either way, I'm ecstatic... here are some new flicks..
Both the orphan pups are bigger than Desoto, but all are nursing and all are doing well.
I'm happiest about that..

Last edited:

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've always had chihuahuas or chihuahua-mixes. Big thing is:allergies. They very prone to food and environmental allergies in the form of itchy, dry skin and watery eyes. As far as food, I feed Blue Buffalo (available at PetSmart). Wellness is also good and PetSmart and Petco both carry those. Science Diet isn't great. I would probably give it a mid-grade rating. Also, if you can find the food in an average grocery store, most of the time it's going to be low-grade food. Be careful what vets recommend as well because I've had many recommend mid-grade food based on the fact that they had a contract with that company.

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but don't use the advantix until he's at least 8 weeks old.

Chihuahuas can be very stubborn at times so make sure you start training early. Potty training can sometimes be frustrating. I've had both quick learners and stubborn ones that insist on peeing on the curtains. Other than that, they can be demanding for attention and think they're the size of a truck. I love them. {D

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've always had chihuahuas or chihuahua-mixes. Big thing is:allergies. They very prone to food and environmental allergies in the form of itchy, dry skin and watery eyes. As far as food, I feed Blue Buffalo (available at PetSmart). Wellness is also good and PetSmart and Petco both carry those. Science Diet isn't great. I would probably give it a mid-grade rating. Also, if you can find the food in an average grocery store, most of the time it's going to be low-grade food. Be careful what vets recommend as well because I've had many recommend mid-grade food based on the fact that they had a contract with that company.

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but don't use the advantix until he's at least 8 weeks old.

Chihuahuas can be very stubborn at times so make sure you start training early.
Potty training can sometimes be frustrating. I've had both quick learners and stubborn ones that insist on peeing on the curtains. Other than that, they can be demanding for attention and think they're the size of a truck. I love them. {D
Thanks!
He will be coming home when he's 8 weeks. So thats fine.
His mother is a very picky eater and likes cat food! {D
I have been looking into the ones you mentioned and also one called Royal Canin for Chihuahuas.
https://secure.petco.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=1340700
I will be extra patient and consistent with the potty training because I can't have messes all over
the place! No way...
I have ordered some of these, which have great reviews..
http://www.petco.com/product/8830/P...ping_DogSupplies_HousetrainingandIncontinence

:) Well thanks and I will keep you guys posted ..
He just opened his eyes today, I got the phone call. :D

tjmi2000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just remember he is still a dog and needs firm and consistent training. People tend to treat small dogs like they are babies and coddle them which often leads to a monster in a tiny body.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks!
He will be coming home when he's 8 weeks. So thats fine.
His mother is a very picky eater and likes cat food! {D
I have been looking into the ones you mentioned and also one called Royal Canin for Chihuahuas.
https://secure.petco.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=1340700
I will be extra patient and consistent with the potty training because I can't have messes all over
the place! No way...
I have ordered some of these, which have great reviews..
http://www.petco.com/product/8830/P...ping_DogSupplies_HousetrainingandIncontinence

:) Well thanks and I will keep you guys posted ..
He just opened his eyes today, I got the phone call. :D
No problem!

I lump Royal Canin in with Science Diet. You're paying awful lot for the name when you can get a much better food for the same price or less. :D I will say that Royal Canin is used a lot by people that show for some reason. It's nice that you can get something specialized but a good-quality small breed formula would suit a chihuahua without special needs. Chihuahuas can be very picky. It's important to not keep switching up their food or they will become spoiled after awhile. House training pads are fine but I find that crate training and positive-reinforcement training gave me better results.

Oh and if it is possible, try and keep him nursing until 12 weeks. His little immune system will fare better.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got him a crate with a crate pad, and I did in fact plan to crate train him...
So you're saying crate train him by taking him outside outside when it's time to go,
without starting by taking him out onto the pad when it's time then... ??

I ask because my experience as far as potty training dogs was with a chow chow and a shihtzu,
and both did extremely well. I'd say they trained themselves.
My chow chow would stand right by the door when it was time @ 10 weeks!

I go into it expecting some difficult moments, but I'm patient.
I need it to go right, so I keep going until the results are right.

Also looking into this..
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Buffalo-...r_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285598077&sr=8-1
Not bad at all... thank you again..

Last edited:

BrotherM213

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No problem!

I lump Royal Canin in with Science Diet. You're paying awful lot for the name when you can get a much better food for the same price or less. :D I will say that Royal Canin is used a lot by people that show for some reason. It's nice that you can get something specialized but a good-quality small breed formula would suit a chihuahua without special needs. Chihuahuas can be very picky. It's important to not keep switching up their food or they will become spoiled after awhile. House training pads are fine but I find that crate training and positive-reinforcement training gave me better results.

Oh and if it is possible, try and keep him nursing until 12 weeks. His little immune system will fare better.
I use royal canine for my Bulldog, I've tried other name brands but she would always eat them whole, and gave her real bad gas. since switching she has chewed her food, gas is virtualy alleiviated, and her coat shines. also, to go along with what your saying switch foods often will tend to give the dog the runs, so you should gradually move them to another food by mixing small portions of the new food in with the old for about 4 or five days until the mix is 100% new food.
Also (to miss bianca), if you can avoid using puppy pads, that would be best. take her outside everytime she goes to the bathroom, because (at least with my girl) when i used puppy pads when she was a puppy, and tried getting her to stop using them is was very hard. she would go in the spot where the pads use to lie. so if it's possible take her outside and try not to let it go inside at all. i know this can get hard if you work all day but it is a lot easier in the long run to teach them this now. just a helpfull tip (i learned this the hard way).

Very cute pup BTW!!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check out this website:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

You can check out any kind of dog food & find out why it is or isn't good.

Blue buffalo isn't the highest rated, but it's certainly better then a lot of what is out there. Both my dog & cat are currently eating their products.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks once again all!
I have kept pups before so I know the common sense things
(like don't switch foods suddenly), but was really interested in chihuahua factoids.
I read that their skull bones never fuse completely and leaves them extra
vulnerable to injuries, the thing with allergies, things like that.

They are such an interesting breed! :)

Anyone have one that doesn't bark so much?? LOL j/k

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wish I could help but I've never had a chihuahua ever, and haven't met many nice ones.
All I can do is tell you to stress the general things, good socialization, good training, crate training.
He is adorable, and I'm sure the two of you will do well together!!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks once again all!
I have kept pups before so I know the common sense things
(like don't switch foods suddenly), but was really interested in chihuahua factoids.
I read that their skull bones never fuse completely and leaves them extra
vulnerable to injuries, the thing with allergies, thinga like that.

They are such an interesting breed! :)

Anyone have one that doesn't bark so much?? LOL j/k
Correct. There is a spot on the back of the skull that remains soft and is vulnerable. They are also very vulnerable to eye injuries because of those big bug-eyes like this :eek: If they are very small, their bones often don't fuse right if broken and would need to be pinned.