New Centipedes!

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whu! I got 2 Scolopendra heros babies today. I'm actually really happy about this, as a couple years back I guy I bought some scorpions off of gave me a couple of these babies centipedes. They died soon after...doh.
I've kind of been keeping an eye out for some more ever since, in hopes of getting a second chance with this species, as I think they are really cool-looking.
Yay for me.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Good luck with them. I've had two. The first one exploded a day after I got it. The second one lasted about a month before it died due to unexplained causes. I think I may have been keeping it too humid....

Scott

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Good luck with them. I've had two. The first one exploded a day after I got it. The second one lasted about a month before it died due to unexplained causes. I think I may have been keeping it too humid....

Scott
Well, that sucks, I've been wondering how yours was growing compared to mine since they were 'litter mates' :( I guess the answer is, "not very well". Mine has barely grown but it's very healthy and I keep it moist. The redhead I got has at least doubled in size in the same period, starting to look slightly impressive.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
When you say redhead, I'm assuming that you're talking about the chinese red head? If so, mine has also doubled in size and seems to be doing quite well. On the other hand 1 of my 2 PR giants turned up dead the other day as well, but the other one seems to be doing fine. Knock on wood for the 2 survivors. I really don't know what could be going wrong with the ones that died. They all seemed to be healthy, were eating fine and were active. I just don't know.... :(

Scott

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Scott -
What do you mean "exploded"? Like, it actually blew up or what? lol.
With the 3 I used to have, they just didnt really move or do anything. Within a few days I found them with their antenae curled up...dead.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Solar Dart
Scott -
What do you mean "exploded"? Like, it actually blew up or what? lol.
With the 3 I used to have, they just didnt really move or do anything. Within a few days I found them with their antenae curled up...dead.
It exploded - on the old board there were pictures. In some before pictures you could see a little bit of discoloration of the body where it later ruptured. My guess was some injury weakend that part and when it fed, kerspludge, pede guts on the outside.

Scott: yeah, the baby Chinese Redheads was what I meant.

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I fed them today, and both ate with no problems. I'm very pleased : )