New centipedes!

Jack68125

Arachnopeon
IMG_4552.JPG IMG_4551.JPG I got a regular yellow leg dehaani today and an orange flame leg dehaani, to go along with the yellow leg I already have. Here's some pics of them. Truly some beauties.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Scary how close your hand is :anxious: beautiful centipedes though

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mmm yes, I see you are a man of culture as well. :pompous:
Nice acquisition, I am super jealous. Wish I could find them available where I live.
Are (Asian ones I mean) Scolopendridae rare or hard to find in Malaysia, man? Never imagined something like that :-s

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Are (Asian ones I mean) Scolopendridae rare or hard to find in Malaysia, man? Never imagined something like that :-s
The inverts hobby here in my country is extremely small and centipedes are more of a little side dish to tarantulas for most keepers. For example the local facebook inverts group for the entire country (>30M population) only has about 1k users which is pretty sad. The rare sale post for a centipede that occasionally pops up also lists them very expensive; definitely not $20 like our friend OP here got his centipedes for. Oh ya and the guy who posts those centipedes is also kind of an a-hole. You would think being located so closely to Indochina it would be pretty easy to get a hold of some majestic Vietnamese giants right? Alas the hobby here is just really small and really shallow. I never seen an A. Metallica for sale, imagine that. Local varieties like cherry red however can be found if you know where to look for them. Unfortunately I'm a city dweller so I don't haha. I remember one guy who lives in the outskirts near some forest area posted that he found one in his bedroom.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The inverts hobby here in my country is extremely small and centipedes are more of a little side dish to tarantulas for most keepers. For example the local facebook inverts group for the entire country (>30M population) only has about 1k users which is pretty sad. The rare sale post for a centipede that occasionally pops up also lists them very expensive; definitely not $20 like our friend OP here got his centipedes for. Oh ya and the guy who posts those centipedes is also kind of an a-hole. You would think being located so closely to Indochina it would be pretty easy to get a hold of some majestic Vietnamese giants right? Alas the hobby here is just really small and really shallow. I never seen an A. Metallica for sale, imagine that. Local varieties like cherry red however can be found if you know where to look for them. Unfortunately I'm a city dweller so I don't haha. I remember one guy who lives in the outskirts near some forest area posted that he found one in his bedroom.

Maaan, seems like Italy + or -

Almost 60 million of people, less (IMO definitely less counting only those into venomous) than 1000 as well :banghead:

Never imagined that. Bit of solace, you can WC the 'cherry red'. Here is pretty priced :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Chris LXXIX I feel like Americans always get the best stuff and the best prices haha
Ain't that sure, man :)

American (USA I mean) T's prices are IMO outrageous, and their variety sucks, if compared to the mix of choice/price/availability there's in Europe.

IMO Brits and Germans (especially Germans with Scolopendridae) are the lucky ones :-s

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Ain't that sure, man :)

American (USA I mean) T's prices are IMO outrageous, and their variety sucks, if compared to the mix of choice/price/availability there's in Europe.

IMO Brits and Germans (especially Germans with Scolopendridae) are the lucky ones :-s
But they have $20 adult subspinipes though :astonished: Are Ts really that expensive in the US?

Oh ya I've seen British youtubers with some pretty impressive collection of Ts and Pedes. Not sure about Germans since I don't understand the language but I would agree with you on that since the best centipede video on youtube currently with over 8 million views is uploaded by some guy from Germany:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But they have $20 adult subspinipes though :astonished: Are Ts really that expensive in the US?

Oh ya I've seen British youtubers with some pretty impressive collection of Ts and Pedes. Not sure about Germans since I don't understand the language but I would agree with you on that since the best centipede video on youtube currently with over 8 million views is uploaded by some guy from Germany:
Well my man, talking about "normal" Scolopendra subspinipes only -- so not the rare variants etc -- I've payed my (arrived gravid, ah ah) female less than 35 Euro (shipping included).

Granted, I've bought her as unsexed (but because, as you know, almost no one bother to sex Scolopendridae) but still IMO an honest price.

Those 'pedes are pure WC from Vietnam - other nearby nations, IMO that's why they are very cheap. I suppose there's tons of those 'pedes :angelic:

--

It's not that the U.S Theraphosidae market sucks, eh. Not at all. And they have genuine breeders that are passionate... dunno, I can only speculate. Probably they lack numbers, even if seems incredible to believe judging how much big the nation is. Do not count all of those Americans with a Theraphosidae, or that had/have one just per se during times nor a 'Petco' purchase made for curiosity.

A lot of them weren't/aren't interested in breeding... when in Europe arrived certain OW's they didn't had those like we had here in Europe (I'm talking about back then). There's a price to pay, obviously, if a German buy a 'ticket plane' for and a U.S man not.

There's a reason why a M.balfouri 0.1 or certain 'Pokies' or a 0.1 Pelinobius muticus or a 0.1 C.cyaneopubescens are priced/sometimes rare in USA but not so priced/rare here.

Granted, P.murinus, L.parahybana etc are cheap even there :-s

TSS (The Spider Shop) has a nice selection of WC 'pedes if you continue to check on a regular basis the site, needless to say, the rare ones last like bread after an hunger strike :)

Last edited:

Crowbawt

Arachnopeon
As an American interested in pedes... I'm constantly feeling a pang of jealously at the variety and prices I see available in the UK :p

Then again I can compare my options to my Canadian friend and feel super lucky instead... Puts it in perspective.