New Centipedes

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey all, I got some centipedes today from my mom as a Christmas present. They're the ones from the for sale ad in the classifieds marked as blonde S. heros and an R. longipes. The ones sold as heros look a bit small to me so I'm guessing they're just gonna be big, pale S. polymorpha. I took some pics of the species in question, but the R. longipes buried itself. So instead of the R. longipes, I took some pics of something else :)

Possible S. polymorpha?

And something else

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool! How many hardwickei do you have now? I still question the thing about a giant blonde polymorpha and a blonde heros here in Texas, I need to see more data to convince me, to me people tend to jump the gun, kind of taking a gamble, maybe wanting to be right first and hoping they are after they make the claim(?). Maybe I just haven't seen the hard data and it's out there, I don't know. Not that I don't think there are blonde polymorpha out there and I know about the claims of some being keyed out that way. It's been about 25 years of going to w tx looking for bugs and snakes without seeing a blonde heros, though I haven't gone out there every year for those 25. Pedes aren't a big study here in the US. I just need somebody to show me, pics, features that nail the ID, something. Though I believe Shelley said he has seen a blonde heros that was found in the Big Bend area. I have one of these big blonde colored pedes from w tx, around 5.5 to 6 inches, nice pede. But I see the 2 to 3 inch banded polys in the same area, it's just strange. Also on S's site, he is calling this big blonde pede I have a heros but it doesn't fit being a heros imo, it's softer, wormier, shorter legs and antennae, different behavior, I haven't even tried to key it out in a scientific way yet though. When it kicks the bucket I'm going to send it to him so he can take a closer look, actually get his hands on it. OK, well, I will stop being lazy and try to post pics with my micro that I haven't hooked up yet. Whatever it is, it's very hardy, I've had it for some years now. Hope yours stays alive to see how it turns out. Of course, I sure hope the hardwickei stay alive.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I still just have the 2 S. hardwickei and they're getting big! They're both at least 3" long now :D I got these blonde centipedes from Sam Floyd and he told me a while back they were from extreme west Texas. They look a little small to be S. heros IMO so I'm assuming they're S. polymorpha. That's not based on anything scientific lol just my guess. I'll keep y'all updated on their growth!