New centipedes arrived

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
"The length of terminal legs is considered to be thick in orginal description, but i actually have 4 specimen obviously being the same species, but only two of them have those thick terminal legs, the other two have "normal" terminal legs."

Sexual dimorphism?

"The most obvious taxonomic features are:
1) Toothplate longer than usual, sometimes on a pedestal
2) First pair of legs only with one tarsal spine
3) Terminal legs usually without claw spines
4) Short coxopleurons"

The single tarsal spine on 1st pair of legs seems to be the best indicator. Please excuse my ignorance, but, coxopleurons are the triangular bits in the genital region?

Somewhere in my favorites there is an article, if memory serves, that addresses some of the issues surrounding S. mirabilis in Tanzania- I'll see if I can find it. Cheers...

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

> Sexual dimorphism?

Maybe yes, maybe not, but i'm not sure.
Maybe when they grow up (they have different sizes) they get thicker terminals like in S. cingulata and S. morsitans.

> The single tarsal spine on 1st pair of legs seems to be the best indicator.

It's not that easy. There are a lot of indicators that you shoild examine in combination. Number of sparsely hirsute antennomeres is usually higher than 7 while in S. morsitans you have a constant number of 6.
But even this taxonomical feature is different on the other "doubted" two from Pakistan.
S. mirabilis features also one or more side spines on Coxopleurons that S. morsitans should usually lack. The absence of claw spines on terminal legs is one of the better indicators, because most Scolopendra-species feature those spines.
I think headplate-region with all it's furrows is an additional indicator to separate it from S. morsitans (that should lack furrows on cephalic plate)

> Please excuse my ignorance, but, coxopleurons are the triangular bits in
> the genital region?

No problem, here is a picture:

If you find a link to the discussion/paper about Tanzanian species, it would be great. Thanks. :)

Regards,
Turgut

西行寺 幽々子

Arachnopeon
Awesome jump on your pede collection, looks like you have some nice cameras too. What camera do you like best that takes good close-up shots? I'm kind of looking around, looking for a more professional one.
i use canon EOS450D and lens is EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, very entry-level camera, i not have a good camera, and my photography is very bad too :( , i really want to learn photography and take some good photos

Hello,
I´m glad to can help you, get centipedes from your wishlist :) .
The problem, with the S.morsitans (mirabilis), is an older one. The name change is my last information, but if these with new information, will be changed, I will take the new name too.
Nice pictures and setups.
Regards
Andreas
thank you again, and i still very expect the next shipment from you, don't forget contact me:)

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW!!! That's quite the collection you have! Congratulations!!! Feeding must take some time... ;)

Actually, I think your photos are quite good too! Congrats on that too!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Didnt want to start a New Pedes thread, but had to tell my latest editions. I just got a 6 inch female "dark morph" S.alternans, a 5 in S. angulata, a 6 inch S. Sub "barbados", two heros arizonensis, and two "blue morph" S. polymorpha. !!!! I would post pictures but my file seems to be too large right now????? If you want PM me with your email and I can send pictures that way.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you can always get some kind of photo storage account

i would like to see pics of the dark alternans and the blue polymorpha

bulugan28

Arachnopeon
hi..!!!

can you id my centipede and what is her max size as adult..?

i think your thailand "flame tiptoe" and mine is same..?
my centipede is from thailand to..

do you know whet is her adult size..?

she is about 8"++..?
:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?