New centipede ID

rhacodactylus

Arachnopeon
I received this centipede today. It is about 2.5" long. I hope these pics will make the species identifiable. It was listed as a "Egyptian" centipede.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
By the looks of it, it reminds me of a Scolopendra Mirabilis. I've JUST received 10-12 of those guys listed as ''egyptians'' too...

Note : Have a look at the color of these legs... Usually, they're a nice neon blue but on some of them, the legs are yellow... strange...

Just being curious, where did you it from?

phil.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
my guess would rather be a female Scolopendra morsitans

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And S. cingulata? There are any way to difference cingulata from mortisans?

Cheers
Carles

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Steven, i'm starting to get really curious about those little guys... what makes you say that it would be a scolopendra morsitans?

Isnt Scolopendra Mirabilis the one IDed as ''Neon Blue Legs''?!?! The one on the pic obviously doesnt have the blue legs but have similar tergite patterns, antennae and terminals...

What about the one on this pic :

If you have the keys for Scolopendra Morsitans or Scolopendra Mirabilis, please let me know, i have some of those ( like the one on my pic ) preserved in alcohol, so i could tell... Thanks a lot :).

phil.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
what makes you say that it would be a scolopendra morsitans?
Hey Phil,
i recognised the small ridge on the femur.

i don't have much time lately, but i am working on some keys and descriptions for the more common pet-trade scolopendra spec.
it will include morsitans and mirabilis ;)

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, we'd sure have lots of fun with keys of the commonly seen african scolopendrids... Thanks for the ID tip :).

phil.

icefish

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello, every one
did u get it from amazon reptile? i bought a same one!! and i looked for the name, please check this http://www.scolopendromorpha.com/caresheet/cingulata.htm
it is same as the first picture, so i am assuming it is a Scolopendra cingulata, isn't it? please, correct me steven!!!! i also want to know the scientific name!! and i am sure it isn't a S mir, phil!!!

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Steven, according to the pics you posted, the females sc.morsitans would have smaller ridges?

I'm really looking forward to reading those ID keys... i have quite a few centipedes from Egypt waiting for an ID :p.

phil.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey Phil,

yep, males have the really clear "ridges" on the segments of their terminal legs
To be sure they aren't Sc.cingulata you can check the underside of the prefemur of the terminal legs,... more then 2 spines on that place will tell you they aren't cingulata !

good luck with the mating attemps ;)
(won't be that hard if you have 100% 1.1.0 Sc.morsitans,... i had a couple been in the same container for more then 6 months orso, never shown any agression towards eachother,... don't try this when they are Sc.cingulata !!! )