New centipede care

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
Hey whats up guys. I just got a new pede today (adult Scolopendra Heros Arizonensis). I was wondering what the care is like for them. I know they are a desert species so im assuming they dont need much humidity compared to my Scolopendra Dehaani. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

mellow

Arachnobaron
They may be a desert centipede but they still need slightly moist substrate on one half of the enclosure, put cork bark or on the moist side of the enclosure, feed them with a large cricket or other feeder once a week, keep them lean and mean they live longer that way, I also hear that they might benefit from feeders with that reptile vitamin powder but I'm not sure if it will actually benefit from it, I love my scolopendra heros arizonensis so much! I hope this was helpful! 😁

NYAN

Arachnoking
That substrate is way too moist and that type of enclosure is inappropriate. Get a tub so that you can provide proper substrate depth.

I keep all of my heros almost entirely dry with a water dish.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
For starters, that enclosure is not appropriate for a Scolopendra. Rehouse it into a Sterilite Tub or a 5.5 Gallon Tank with a locking lid.

Substrate is WAY too moist, and this species is particularly susceptible to mycosis. I use a combination of coco fiber and sand, and I only keep it a TAD moist. I keep mine with a water dish available at all times. Also, you should provide more substrate than that. I give my 4”-4.5” specimen 3” of substrate, and some will argue that even that isn’t enough.

Hope this helps! I love my S. heros....

Last edited:

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
My Arizonensis is thriving! I think im doing alright. I use 65% sand, 15-20% coco fiber, and some peat moss. My little guy is a monster! Im so glad i got him.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My Arizonensis is thriving! I think im doing alright. I use 65% sand, 15-20% coco fiber, and some peat moss. My little guy is a monster! Im so glad i got him.
Your beautiful pede is alive you mean. You asked for advice and got great advice for free off knowledgeable keepers yet still choose to ignore it. Why ask in the first place?

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
Im not ignoring it..... my substrate looks wet but it isnt. I have a little water dish I use. I was overflowing it just a little but around once a week. Also, Im just curious why it keeds to be a 5.5 gallon instead of the one i have? Thanks

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Im not ignoring it..... my substrate looks wet but it isnt. I have a little water dish I use. I was overflowing it just a little but around once a week. Also, Im just curious why it keeds to be a 5.5 gallon instead of the one i have? Thanks
Because it’s more likely to escape out of what you have now. Get a 5.5 Gallon Zilla Critter Cage. Trust me. They look great and are more functional than what you’re using right now.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
With pedes it’s better to sacrifice aesthetic for convenience. Sooner or later it will find a way out. Might as well get the sterilite bin asap and not risk losing a $100 pede.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well apart from the other aspects that have been covered you enclosure allows your pede to climb up the silicone in the corners and run around inside down on the mesh lid.

And I know this because years ago I housed a pede I had in one. A RUB (Really Useful Box) or similar is far better. Although be aware some RUBs so have gaps in the lid so make sure you pick the right one.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Because it’s more likely to escape out of what you have now. Get a 5.5 Gallon Zilla Critter Cage. Trust me. They look great and are more functional than what you’re using right now.
I have all of my larger centipedes in either Critter Keepers (12"x7"x8") or in 10 gallon aquariums. (The exception is a colony of S. mutilans in a 29 gallon long aquarium.) I've been doing this for years, and have maybe 3 dozen cages set up this way. I did have to make some adjustments in the lids of the 10-gallon aquariums to prevent escapes (basically weather-stripping along the edges of the lid), but the Critter Keepers have been fine. For baby and small centipedes I use deli cups or even smaller cups, stacked in a 10-gallon aquarium that seals well. And when a little one grows large enough that it's time to move it to a Critter Keeper, I start off by putting a sheet of mosquito netting between the cage and the lid until the centipede has grown to a "safe" size.

Last edited:

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
Alright yeah I will look into that. The one I have now has four locks on the top of the tank and is a little more than double the length of the centipede tall. I previously had an adult Scolopendra Dehaani in the same tank and never had an issue with it. But I get it and I will look for something different. I also have a baby Scolopendra Galapagoensis/Viridicornus in a sealed tupperware container that i cut the middle of the lid out and replaced it with heavy duty screen that I super glued in place. Ive had it for a little over a month or so and its only eaten once the day after i got it. Im starting to get concerned cuz its almost been five weeks. At first I thought it might have been in premolt but it hasnt molted. I try feeding him every three days or so but as soon as the cricket or baby Dubai roach gets near him he just bolts. I love this little guy but hes making me nervous. Any advice? Should this concern me

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Alright yeah I will look into that. The one I have now has four locks on the top of the tank and is a little more than double the length of the centipede tall. I previously had an adult Scolopendra Dehaani in the same tank and never had an issue with it. But I get it and I will look for something different. I also have a baby Scolopendra Galapagoensis/Viridicornus in a sealed tupperware container that i cut the middle of the lid out and replaced it with heavy duty screen that I super glued in place. Ive had it for a little over a month or so and its only eaten once the day after i got it. Im starting to get concerned cuz its almost been five weeks. At first I thought it might have been in premolt but it hasnt molted. I try feeding him every three days or so but as soon as the cricket or baby Dubai roach gets near him he just bolts. I love this little guy but hes making me nervous. Any advice? Should this concern me
It's been over a decade since I kept centipedes so take my advice, or don't, but I would NOT trust fabric screen (or even metal screen) and super glue to keep a centipede in. Super glue holds until it doesn't anymore. Your best bet is to drill/melt a bunch of small holes in the lid rather then relying on mesh and glue.

Are you providing the pede you're asking questions about with a water dish?

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
It's been over a decade since I kept centipedes so take my advice, or don't, but I would NOT trust fabric screen (or even metal screen) and super glue to keep a centipede in. Super glue holds until it doesn't anymore. Your best bet is to drill/melt a bunch of small holes in the lid rather then relying on mesh and glue.

Are you providing the pede you're asking questions about with a water dish?
Yes I am. Hes got a little water dish. And right now hes pretty small, around 2.5 inches. I used industrial metal screen I got from Lowes and a high heat glue gun. Its pretty secure. At least for the time being.... When he grows a little more Im going to transfer him. I can take a picture of the cage when I get home from work tonight to show you.