New Blondi, weird molt? (pictures)

Anna

Arachnopeon
I got a T. Blondi today (super stoked), and he seems to have been brought to the store after having been in too small an enclosure, and made two of his legs bent at the ends. I was wondering if you all think he'll molt out of his weird legs..

(The thing he's in in the photos is what I brought him home in, but I have a 20 gal to put him in for the time being)

In other news my salmon pink successfully molted the other day. My avic has not.

Attachments

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
Should molt out of it, Theraposa is known for having bad molts unfortunately. Beautiful T though hoping to get one soon. I'm sure Fran will chime in soon as he's the resident theraposa guru

Mez

Arachnoknight
Wouldnt that be a T. stirmi not a T. blondii, those patella look hairless? Im sure Fran will inform us when he sees this.
Ive seen a E. campestratus with the same problem and it recovered within two moults, but Fran will be best able to advise you Theraphosa-specifically on this im sure.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, mine did this when it was 3rd instar. It will molt out of it next time around. shouldnt affect it any.

Cheers.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That looks like a tiny enclosure; PM "fran" for more suggestions and information, I think he's regarded as the authority on T. (insert species)

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ahh, my B.boehmei did this! Except it was the rear legs. They ended up having a weird bow shape in them. Its not related to the enclosure, moreso to a weird molt I think. I made a post about this same thing and someone mentioned another possibility. Maybe while it ws still soft after a molt it got spooked somehow and tried to move too fast and ended up bending its leg?

I'll try to find my post for you, there might be more information in there for you.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Hey Anna, after a bit of searching, I found my original thread about this. The picture of my boehmei is on the second page. My case wasn't as extreme as yours, but it was similar, take a look.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=190257

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:)

As you guys pointed out ,thats a Theraphosa sp. Burgundy (Now named "stirmi" and soon to be "spinipes") and a nice looking one ;)

To have those "broken" tarsus is very common, thats a tinny issue on the spider so one molt will straight them out, no problem.

As cody said, thats even more comon on 2nd and 3rd instar slings. Their legs are so so thin at that stage, but so long at the same time that always the last "push" of the molt, due to the old exuvia weight, make them that way.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
That looks more like a female than a male. look at the thickness of the legs and the size of the abdomen is thicker at the base where I connects with the carapace. I would say by looking it's a female

Anna

Arachnopeon
How would I find out? The guy who sold it to me said that it was male. But I know stores mess that up sometimes. Do I need to wait for the molt?

I know, it was so small :(
But the spider got moved to a 20gal.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
How big is it

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Ur prob gonna have to wait for a molt and use a microscope. And look for the female sexual organ Look it up on YouTube sexing a tarantula.

Anna

Arachnopeon
Probably about 5 inches... Yeah I figured I would just wait for that to happen and then check.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
But it's easy do ur research buy a am stereo microscope on eBay. if ur collecting ur gonna use it alot. Get on YouTube look around get some pics. Read around and ull see it's easy

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Use the microscope for small slings to I would say 4 inches. And after that it should be easily seen with the naked eye.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Ut like I said that looks like a female the legs look real robust. The abdomen is seems a good size at base where it connects to the carapace. I think it's a female ask around see what u get back. But to be 100% sure molt sex it. If u don't fell comf just take a pic of the molt and post it. But make sure u do ur anatomy homework and make sure u take a clear pic of the reproductive area on the t. Clear pi is important if ur gonna do it like that

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At that stage the sexual dimorfism is very subtle.It could be a male.

Show a clear picture of the carpace and the fangs, and we could do an educated guess, but a ventral would be more definitive :).

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At that stage the sexual dimorfism is very subtle.It could be a male.

Show a clear picture of the carpace and the fangs, and we could do an educated guess, but a ventral would be more definitive :).

Fran, care to share dimorphism through carapace and fangs? I hope to learn something new today...

TIA! :clap:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Fran, care to share dimorphism through carapace and fangs? I hope to learn something new today...

TIA! :clap:

Cephalotorax on inmature males(and MM ) are a bit less rounded, more oval shaped. The quelicera is considerable less thick and less bulky than on females.
Round and wider cephalotorax on females with bigger and thicker quelicera.

Other than that, at some stages they could look pretty much the same :).

ps: A fast draw just to show a little bit what I mean. :)

Attachments

Last edited: