New "Black Emperor Scorpion"

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hey everyone. It was suggested that I post a photo of my new female scorpion in order to confirm species identification. She is about 4" total length.
I did ask if she was a Pandinus imperator, but the guy couldn't tell me. All he said was that she was sold to him as a "Black Emperor Scorpion". He only had her for about a month and it's a good thing too. She was on bone dry substrate that was less than an inch deep, had a small lid for water that was also bone dry, and a great big super worm in her enclosure that she obvious didn't want to eat.
She is chilling in her new enclosure, after she explored a bit, and I hope that she settles in.
She is awesome and I love her to bits already... even though she was a bit cranky with me for moving her.

This is her in her old enclosure before I moved her.
_DSC6780-2.jpg

And here are ones from her new enclosure.
_DSC6812-2.jpg
_DSC6817-2.jpg
_DSC6821-2-2.jpg

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That is definitely a Pandinus. Now whether it's a P. dictator or P. imperator, I don't know. Someone with experience with both needs to chime in. Also, sometimes for a 100% id between the two you'll need to break out the microscope.

By the way, he/she is not mature. :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's a pretty nice grab imo. Yes it's an imperator and I believe(pretty sure) it's got one more molt to go before it's an adult so it's going to get bigger.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's a pretty nice grab imo. Yes it's an imperator and I believe(pretty sure) it's got one more molt to go before it's an adult so it's going to get bigger.
What is the visual/obvious difference? It's hard for me to see it.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thank you everyone for your kind words and feedback!
I really dislike common names and I would normally not buy anyone if I can't determine the species. But, this little one was too good to pass up and I knew she was either a Pandinus or a Heterometrus from the photos on the ad, so she was safe for a new person. The guy was asking $70 for her, the tank, and a heat pad (which was stuck to the bottom and not the side). I explained that I already had a tank all set up and was prepared to give him $40 for the scorpion only. He ended up giving everything to me for $40. He didn't seem to care at all that she was not properly set up. They are very difficult to find around here and I am very lucky that I found her.
I'm glad to hear that she is not mature yet, since they have shorter lifespans than I am used to with female tarantulas.
I gave everything a good soak before moving her and I have covered about 3/4 of the screen lid with glass from a picture frame. She is just chilling in her corner. I will try to offer her food tomorrow night.
She is really lovely.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
She found the burrow I made her and she is inside, little sweetheart. It's probably the first burrow that she's ever had.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You wouldn't happen to have a link to a higher resolution version of that illustration?
Here's the link but the resolution isn't any better. It takes you to a lady's photobucket that has quite a few good pics, scorp comparisons and other illustrations.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You wouldn't happen to have a link to a higher resolution version of that illustration?
Here's the link but the resolution isn't any better. It takes you to a lady's photobucket that has quite a few good pics, scorp comparisons and other illustrations.
Ooooopsss. Sorry, I forgot to post the link and now I can't find it again. Hmmmph..

Here's the source of that photobucket user though. http://www.teraristica.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Today was feeding day for everyone. My little girl ate two medium sized crickets. I was actually surprised because most times the tarantulas will refuse food directly after rehousing. Only a small number will take it.
I started off by moving some stuff around her enclosure with the tongs, and started doing some wetting down of the moss and sub, and it wasn't long before she appeared at the mouth of her hide. She was moving her pedipalps in such a way that it made it look like she was making 'feed me' gestures - moving them towards her mouth over and over. It made me laugh. I had no idea how ridiculously adorable she was going to be.
I'm glad that she feels comfortable enough to eat right away. That always makes me feel better.
Her little pedipalp looks like a moray eel in this photo. :)
_DSC6911-2.jpg

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Today was feeding day for everyone. My little girl ate two medium sized crickets. I was actually surprised because most times the tarantulas will refuse food directly after rehousing. Only a small number will take it.
I started off by moving some stuff around her enclosure with the tongs, and started doing some wetting down of the moss and sub, and it wasn't long before she appeared at the mouth of her hide. She was moving her pedipalps in such a way that it made it look like she was making 'feed me' gestures - moving them towards her mouth over and over. It made me laugh. I had no idea how ridiculously adorable she was going to be.
I'm glad that she feels comfortable enough to eat right away. That always makes me feel better.
Her little pedipalp looks like a moray eel in this photo. :)
View attachment 216260
She was washing her palps before a big meal. :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I mentioned earlier that I don't think she is mature yet so I wouldn't be afraid of letting her fatten up before molting again, not that you were worried about that, just sayin.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I was going to put her on the same schedule as the tarantulas - twice a week on Tuesday and Saturday. Normally the tarantulas will get two crickets each, but I will make sure that she gets more. Or, I can feed her three times a week if she prefers that?
The guy I got her from said that she was eating three crickets every three days approximately. I don't really believe him, though. I got the impression that he didn't have her on a schedule.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was going to put her on the same schedule as the tarantulas - twice a week on Tuesday and Saturday. Normally the tarantulas will get two crickets each, but I will make sure that she gets more. Or, I can feed her three times a week if she prefers that?
The guy I got her from said that she was eating three crickets every three days approximately. I don't really believe him, though. I got the impression that he didn't have her on a schedule.
She should be fine getting fed when you feed your Ts and opting for large crickets. Just don't let those crickets lay eggs, that environment is perfect for egg laying.