New "Black Emperor Scorpion"

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I was actually surprised that she doesn't lunge at the food like the tarantulas do. I guess I have all these scenarios in my head from having the tarantulas for so long and I'm expecting her to be like them when she is a completely different creature. Very silly of me, but I guess when you have a benchmark you tend to make the comparison even when dealing with someone worlds different.
That is why I try not to be impatient with people who have only ever had cats and dogs as a benchmark and then make the comparison to them when they get a tarantula. I'm doing the same thing with her by comparing her to tarantulas. Funny how that happens.
Thanks for the heads up for the crickets. Having crickets hatch out in there would be a bloody nightmare!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Well, my little girlie is a bit of a bottomless pit. I fed her two medium crickets Saturday during the day, I dug out the superworm in her other tank for Saturday night because I didn't want it to go to waste, she ate another medium cricket on Sunday and was still doing the hands out for more thing while still eating that cricket.
I wonder if the guy was not feeding her very well. When I asked for her feeding schedule he was kind of wishy-washy and it seemed like he was making it up. I found a couple of the regular sized mealworms in her old substrate (dead) and the one big superworm that she didn't end up finding. Those small mealworms were way too small for her.
Maybe I will feed her a bit more than normal for the first little while and then put her on the schedule starting next week. I don't want her to get overweight to the point of it being dangerous.
She loves her little burrow. She usually sits right at the mouth of the burrow looking out. I haven't seen her near her water dish, but I am keeping it pretty damp. Plus, I'm sure she is getting plenty of liquids with all the food she is eating.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Well, it seems that the scorpion who was sold to me as a female... has turned out to be male. That's my own fault for believing the guy when he didn't know anything else about scorpions. Still, I would have confirmed before selling them or sold them as unsexed.
I'm glad that they don't live shorter lives like the tarantulas do... cause I'm really attached to my little guy.
At least he won't go through his entire life with me calling him my little girlie. Hahahaha!
_DSC7068-2.jpg