New beginner Tarantula keeper

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
I got my juvinile T.albo for my first T. Admittedly I never see the thing unless I peel back the little cover I have on the side of its burrow. I hope this may change in the future.
My t albo always used to flee when I open the enclosure lid, but now after a molt it stays out all the time and even webbed up the entrance to its burrow.

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
I have strongly considered GBB however, people say that they can be a little skittish and overwhelming for a beginner. Tarantula Canada has one available for order that I am ready to buy. Do you think I should pull the trigger?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I have strongly considered GBB however, people say that they can be a little skittish and overwhelming for a beginner. Tarantula Canada has one available for order that I am ready to buy. Do you think I should pull the trigger?
When the enclosure is ready - do it!

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Ok! I’ll setup an enclosure and get it done. One last Q, for this species... I have readily available super worms. Can I feed them this as a staple diet? They are fatty but would this be ok?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Ok! I’ll setup an enclosure and get it done. One last Q, for this species... I have readily available super worms. Can I feed them this as a staple diet? They are fatty but would this be ok?
I feed my spiders sometimes superworms... maybe all three month - that is no problem. But the normal food should be crickets or better roaches

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Depending on what you're looking for, a Lasiodora species like L. parahybana and L. klugi can be good first tarantulas too. I got a L. klugi as my first and he's been a fantastic first spider. Easy husbandry, grows quickly, and ravenous appetite. Yes some specimens can be a bit more skittish but I really like them because they're active and fast growing. Maybe not as colorful as some other species, but still a great first spider in my opinion especially if you're looking for something that grows to a larger size. There are a lot of options out there. Avicularia species CAN be good first spiders if you really do your research but I actually wouldn't recommend them as a first tarantula in most cases since their husbandry can be a little more tricky for beginners and there's a lot of misinformation out there. I also definitely wouldn't go for an Old World tarantula as my first spider. When you're first learning, an accident could have very painful and unpleasant consequences with these species. There are a lot of first options out there. Brachypelma, Grammostola, Lasiodora, Tlitocatl, etc. are all good first genera to start with.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
It doesn't matter which feeder you use for your tarantula, as long as it provides required nutrients. Superworms should be fine for juvenile and adult specimens I think.
My first tarantula was a GBB, at first he gave me few scares with how skittish he was but that was it. Nothing to worry too much about.

Show us pictures of enclosure you prepare for it and we'll see if there's room for improvements :D

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
How bad are the GBB urticating hairs?
Not bad I’d assume. I’ve never felt them, and I’ve had my hands around the enclosure for maintenance. I have to ask, since you asked this question, but do you plan on handling your T?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
GBBs rarely throw hairs. They are a great beginner T other than their price. They are pretty, they are out, they web like mad, they LOVE to eat. They are relatively chill.
I have never had issues with any of mine. But as enigma is hinting, this isn't a T you handle (in all reality you shouldn't handle any Ts) but if you wanna hold a tarantula
GBB isn't the one.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I plan to have it as a display animal
What you plan and what the tarantula does are poles apart.

99% of Grammostola iheringi might be on show all the time and there's 1% who aren't.

And by that I mean there are always exceptions to the rules.

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
I completely understand. I want a T that is unique and shows itself. If it doesn't, then it dosnt really bother me, I've wanted a T for a while now I just find them so interesting and exotic.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Not bad I’d assume. I’ve never felt them, and I’ve had my hands around the enclosure for maintenance. I have to ask, since you asked this question, but do you plan on handling your T?
Agree I don't think they'd be that bad. Mine kicks hairs when I do something suddenly to her enclosure but I've never actually been haired by her since she does it so infrequently.

Lyra

Arachnopeon
No it isn’t! Search the forum, wonder why there’s TONS of threads about “my pink toe dying”
When ever there is a post about starter arboreal Avic Avic always get mentioned loads as the best to get.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When ever there is a post about starter arboreal Avic Avic always get mentioned loads as the best to get.
You are wrong in the context below.

Your reply to me doesn't address the point I was making to others ;) . The OP is asking for the best beginner tarantula, not the best beginner arboreal as you stated. Read the OPs thread title and post as it seems you haven't or have forgotten to do so?

The best beginner T is NOT an Avic. If it was, there wouldn't be TONS and TONS of dead Avic threads. You don't see tons and tons of dead G. pulchripes threads and a few others I'm leaving out, do you...NO YOU DO NOT.

SO while Avics are the best arboreal beginner Ts, I have ZERO idea why you even replied when I wasn't speaking of the best arboreal, and nor was the OP. ;)

Last edited:

Lyra

Arachnopeon
You are wrong in the context below.

Your reply to me doesn't address the point I was making to others ;) . The OP is asking for the best beginner tarantula, not the best beginner arboreal as you stated. Read the OPs thread title and post as it seems you haven't or have forgotten to do so?

The best beginner T is NOT an Avic. If it was, there wouldn't be TONS and TONS of dead Avic threads. You don't see tons and tons of dead G. pulchripes threads and a few others I'm leaving out, do you...NO YOU DO NOT.

SO while Avics are the best arboreal beginner Ts, I have ZERO idea why you even replied when I wasn't speaking of the best arboreal, and nor was the OP. ;)
I wrote a long reply then thought what's the point. What was the point in commenting in the first place, what was even the point of bothering at all.