New beginner Tarantula keeper

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Hello,
I am very new to tarantula keeping. I do, however, own lots of other reptiles such as blue tongue skinks, geckos, frogs, etc. I want to know of a good beginner tarantula. My local animal store currently carries pink toe, thai zebra, cobalt blue, Borneo black, and Pederson's ornamental. Which of these tarantulas do you recommend? or would you recommend anything else? I am looking for a tarantula that doesn't get too big and also carries a beautiful color. I would like to start easy and not go with an old-world tarantula. I've done lots of research on my own, just would like some experienced keeper input.

Also, I am still deciding on the enclosure setup. Can I use Kritter Keeper? <edit>

Thank you for your time :)

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Have a look at this video by the excellent Tom Moran. He has a brilliant youtube channel.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Out of that list you sent above I’d say the A Avic (pink toe) is probably the easiest, but I’d watch the video. Welcome!

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I'd recommend to get a tarantula from reputable vendor as we shouldn't really be encouraging pet shops to sell tarantulas anyways. If you want something that doesn't get too huge, then A. avicularia or C. versicolor could be a good choice. They are arboreal tarantulas that can have really pretty colors.

If those are too big for you, then check out some dwarf species, However I'm not sure what to recommend aside H. chillensis that is nowadays nearly impossible to find anywhere. + if you go for dwarf species, then I recommend you get a juvenile as slings are of microscopic size and will definitely be difficult to take care of at that size for a beginner.

About enclosure - choose one after you find out which spider you actually want to get.

Lobstersign

Arachnopeon
If you go with an arboreal you can find really nice plastic containers at Canadian tire called iDesign. You just have to add the air holes yourself.

Also Tarantula Canada is amazing if you decide you would rather order a species not in the pet store. They have a sale right now too. 20210111_160412.jpg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello,
I am very new to tarantula keeping. I do, however, own lots of other reptiles such as blue tongue skinks, geckos, frogs, etc. I want to know of a good beginner tarantula. My local animal store currently carries pink toe, thai zebra, cobalt blue, Borneo black, and Pederson's ornamental. Which of these tarantulas do you recommend? or would you recommend anything else? I am looking for a tarantula that doesn't get too big and also carries a beautiful color. I would like to start easy and not go with an old-world tarantula. I've done lots of research on my own, just would like some experienced keeper input.

Also, I am still deciding on the enclosure setup. Can I use Kritter Keeper? <edit>

"Not getting too big" is relative. What I consider a "large" specimen is reserved for the massive heavy bodied species such as Theraphosa spp. But my neighbor would consider a small Agelenopsis to be "huge."

Common names are not the best. You should stick with their scientific names.

Of the list you stated, I would go with the Avic avic. Just make sure you set it up properly. Have a look at threads people such as @cold blood have drafted up regarding the care of Avic spp. and Caribena spp.

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Hi all, thank you so much for all the information. I have considered ordering online, I will probably got that way as I want the best quality of tarantula. <edit> Thanks

cold blood

Staff member
Hi all, thank you so much for all the information. I have considered ordering online, I will probably got that way as I want the best quality of tarantula. <edit> Thanks
You will need to buy from a Canadian seller....tarantula canada always had a nice selection when I last looked.

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the replies again!
what do you guys think about Cyriopagopus albostriatus for a beginner? Other option is the
A. avicularia.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello,

Absolutely NONE of those are good beginners.

Get G pulchripes.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Thanks for all the replies again!
what do you guys think about Cyriopagopus albostriatus for a beginner? Other option is the
A. avicularia.
C. albostriatus is an OW tarantula. Definitely not something that you'd want for your first.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Try a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens...
They are attractive, not boring and not to skittish. You can learn much with this species!
Or go the classic and in my opinion best way: start with a Brachypelma or Grammostola! I'm in the hobby for many years and I still love them!
If you just wanna be cool, don't do it. 😁

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
I watched a video from dark den saying terrestrial species would be a better start. But if you guys say A.Avicularia then I’ll go with that.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I watched a video from dark den saying terrestrial species would be a better start. But if you guys say A.Avicularia then I’ll go with that.
A. avicularia can be a good starter, as long as you do proper research. Generally they aren't as bulletproof as many other tarantulas that many choose for their first.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Terrestrial tarantulas are better for starters in most cases. But know that tarantulas are divided into two categories: Old world (OW) and New world (NW). Anything from the Americas (north and south America) is considered NW and have less potent venom, but instead possess urticating hairs as self-defense for them. Basically itchy, bothering, and reactive hair barbs that they can kick at you or predators.

While NW tarantulas have less venom, they are generally more easier to deal with than an OW tarantula. OW tarantulas come from everywhere else in the world that isn't in the Americas, but know that OW tarantulas are known to be more defensive and have way stronger venom that any NW tarantula. While NW tarantulas have urticating hairs for self-defense, OW tarantulas have stronger venom to make up for not having urticating hairs. All OW tarantulas can possibly be defensive which is why they're not considered beginner tarantulas.

what do you guys think about Cyriopagopus albostriatus for a beginner?
The C. albostriatus will certainly not be for a beginner as all Asian tarantulas are OW and posses strong venom. I highly suggest you research your tarantula species and where they come from since you seem not to know about OW and NW tarantulas. I hope my information helps.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
get a T albolilosus or a A chalcodes. Terrestrial, hardy, chalcodes is slower. Avics are good but can be speedy.
I would add G Pulchripes, and G Pulchra but they get pretty big (it isn't an issue)

Lyra

Arachnopeon
I got my juvinile T.albo for my first T. Admittedly I never see the thing unless I peel back the little cover I have on the side of its burrow. I hope this may change in the future. It seems to eat well and I still find it interesting having a peer in its burrow now and then. They all have slightly different personalities. IV just recently got my self an A.avic. Which I would say is a little more challenging we have not really got to know each other yet, however I'm glad I got my T.Albo first.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
GBB is a good starter too. Our sling is a nutjob and a great eater, nice webbing. Pretty solid option.