New B Vagans Sling

JSF78

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased a B vagans spiderling from a local petstore (not petco or petsmart). After countless hours of reading from this forum I am aware that a spiderling is not a recommended first tarantula. However, I did want to raise a spiderling so I could watch it grow into an adult. I attempted to build the best temporary little habitat I could from information I have seen on this site but because I am new to the hobby of tarantula care I wanted to make sure what I have created will lead to a happy little spider and hopefully ensure a good life. Without further ado here is Leonidas and his temp habitat.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
I plant to leave him in here until he molts, then transfer him to a new similar cup and repeat the process and needs a new size container.
*I am using coco soft as a substrate and a very small .5" lid as a water dish to keep humidity
*Leonidas is about .75"

Thank you for reading and please respond with anything I may be doing wrong and can correct or any tips I may not have picked up. :)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Change out the sub for a finer coco fibre, as that's too wood-chippy if you get what I'm saying. Give the spiderling a hide, like a piece of cork or something, and you're golden.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You're actually not far off from the right way to do things! And for the record, I definitely suggest B. vagans as a beginner spider :) Slings, not so much, but you could have chosen a worse species.

Luckily, this is a pretty hardy species. I'd keep the humidity slightly above ambient for one or two more molts, after which you could get away with "bone dry" substrate. Note that this species does seem to appreciate a bit of humidity every now and then. For the time being, lightly moisten one side of the enclosure every week or so. Let it dry out completely before wetting it again. A stuffy cage is deadly to any spider, so avoid that at all costs.

JSF78

Arachnopeon
Change out the sub for a finer coco fibre, as that's too wood-chippy if you get what I'm saying. Give the spiderling a hide, like a piece of cork or something, and you're golden.
You're actually not far off from the right way to do things! And for the record, I definitely suggest B. vagans as a beginner spider :) Slings, not so much, but you could have chosen a worse species.

Luckily, this is a pretty hardy species. I'd keep the humidity slightly above ambient for one or two more molts, after which you could get away with "bone dry" substrate. Note that this species does seem to appreciate a bit of humidity every now and then. For the time being, lightly moisten one side of the enclosure every week or so. Let it dry out completely before wetting it again. A stuffy cage is deadly to any spider, so avoid that at all costs.
Noted. Thanks for the help guys. Two more questions though.
1. Is there any sure way to tell if the container is too stuffy?
2. My sling is taking the substrate and hanging it from the top of the container. Is this abnormal behavior? Is he trying to tell me something?

Thanks again.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Noted. Thanks for the help guys. Two more questions though.
1. Is there any sure way to tell if the container is too stuffy?
2. My sling is taking the substrate and hanging it from the top of the container. Is this abnormal behavior? Is he trying to tell me something?

Thanks again.
This species requires such a small amount of humidity that you shouldn't worry too much about it being stuffy. Just have plenty of ventilation and don't worry about it.

"I think it's just an arachnithing." - @shining ;)

Last edited:

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
These things are awesome and grow fast (for a brachypelma). Have great appetites, girls love the jet black and red highlights...I am seriously not joking.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
I don't think these guys require a hide until they reach the 2"-3" size. When they're slings they'll burrow enough to feel safe if you give them enough substrate. Your setup looks great but I would consider switching to Eco earth (cocofiber substrate) for the next rehouse/molt because it's finer, easier to burrow through, and easy to find in pet stores. I use 100% Canadian organic peat moss for all of my T's and my b vagans 2" sling burrows through it perfectly, but either substrate works perfectly. Vagans are awesome

Andy00

Arachnoknight
That sounds like a perfect feeding schedule to me. What are you feeding him?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I am currently feeding him once every three days, would you suggest feeding him more often or am I good?
When they're slings, you shouldn't limit food at all. Feed as often as is practical for you. Once it reaches the juvie stage (2-3 molts from now), slow it down and aim for the abdomen to be just a touch larger than the carapace. But as a sling? Feed, feed, feed.