1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

New B smithi sling

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by desertdweller, Feb 26, 2008.

1. desertdweller

desertdweller Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    I was delighted to receive a freebie from a great dealer, Waldo.

Here is the little bugger as cute as it can be. It's on a quarter to show size and an extra pic more clear.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. von_z

von_z Arachnobaron

Very cute, and super tiny. Are you feeding it pinhead crickets or something smaller?

3. GailC

GailC Arachnoprince Old Timer

She looks really good:)

4. SuperRad

SuperRad Arachnoknight Old Timer

So super tiny! I know you'll take great care of her.

5. Rochelle

Rochelle Arachnoprince Old Timer

congratulations on your new pet flea! :D

She looks nice and plump, tooooo! xoxo

We keep our smithi slings at about 80-85' and they molt very regularly. She'll be a toddler in no time! ;)
    Even at this size, they're ravenous little beasties and will often take 2 pins at a time!
    CUTE!

6. desertdweller

Unfortunately I don't have a source for pinheads here in small Sedona. I have been feeding FFF and could use some suggestions for other feed. ?? Would B dubia nymphs be small enough?

7. GailC

the dubia nymphs might be a tad too big but you could always prekill one for her. I was feeding lateralis nymphs.

8. Rochelle

If you wanna check out our picture thread; you'll see a B.smithi sling that is eating a cricket LEG! Just like a giant drumstick...lolol {D
    We didn't have a source for true pinheads at that time either ~ but now "Adolph" is about 3" and eating whole roaches....:D
    If you can't find true pins; rip off a cricket leg and let your baby go to town. ;)

The dubia's will work in a pinch; but only if you crush their heads at this point. Take out whatever is left over after 24 hrs.
    The nymphs are a little too big to wrangle live for this little guy.

9. desertdweller

Actually I just pre-killed the tiniest cricket I could find in my batch. She just got done dragging it away to a corner to eat! It was almost as big as she is!

Ever since T keeping I find the strangest things adorable!

10. Rochelle

{D {D {D {D {D {D {D
    Go! Bug Mommy!
    Go!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

~Rochelle xoxoxoxo

11. von_z

von_z Arachnobaron

Yeah, I have heard that feeding only FFF can lead to nutritional deficiencies and developmental problems. The pre-killed cricket is a good idea.

12. smof

smof Arachnodemon Old Timer

Excuse my ignorance but what is FFF?

And very cute baby, desertdweller :D

13. jazaman

jazaman Arachnosquire

I think it`s flightless fruit flies

14. I got a smithi sling thats about the same size. I feed it dubia legs. My colony is fairly new and I don't have any babies yet, so I just feed off my surplus mature males. One cut up roach is enough to feed all my slings, and the little ones love the legs.

15. desertdweller

My-oh-my she does like to eat!! Post-buffet I realize she has turned into a right water balloon-looking thing. I'd have taken her pic but was afraid I'd burst her! --Don't worry Waldo, you wee one is safe with me.-- She is darkening now and will presently molt just like her package mates, the four H incei are doing. All are well and are B-U-T-FULL!

16. GailC

Yeah, they are definitely little pigs. The smithi slings eat so well that I have to keep a close eye on how fat they get.
    My incei are starting to molt also, it would be neat to compare how their molting schedule changes between our different regions.

17. desertdweller

Definitely would. Three have molted so far and the smallest is still thinking about it. The largest molted first and he is still biggest. I haven't had sac mates before and it is interesting watching the different ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.