New B. Smithi is doin somethin weird...

Shea

Arachnosquire
Well I just bought my first T two days ago (wont be my last) it is a 2.5 - 3 inch b smithi and I put it in it's new cage yesterday. It's was walking on the glass so I dried the substrate out a bunch just incase it was too wet but it still climbed all over the glass. Now it is doing something bizarre... It keeps walking up to the lid and hanging on it by only one leg and then dropping. It's don this several times on a row now and that's all it's doing. Y is this?
Thank you

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When tarantulas can talk, we will know for sure! Until then, we can only guess...

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is very strange though I would still be inclined to believe that your tarantula is merely acclimating to its new surroundings. When I brought my G. rosea from a rescue and put her in her new enclosure she kept climbing and hanging from the glass, just make sure that the enclosure isnt too tall, eventually my G. rosea stopped after a couple of days.

Shea

Arachnosquire
Yeah thanks guys
I also think it's just trying to get use to it's new home but I was afraid he would fall from too high up and hurt himself so I put I lil extra substrate in there. Hope its not too moist

samthaunknown

Arachnopeon
i would try and catch him/her before he/she climbs to the top.good chance of injury if it keeps it up

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I just bought my first T two days ago (wont be my last) it is a 2.5 - 3 inch b smithi and I put it in it's new cage yesterday. It's was walking on the glass so I dried the substrate out a bunch just incase it was too wet but it still climbed all over the glass. Now it is doing something bizarre... It keeps walking up to the lid and hanging on it by only one leg and then dropping. It's don this several times on a row now and that's all it's doing. Y is this?
Thank you
It's still getting acclimated to the new enclosure. Just imagine yourself almost completely blind, uprooted from something you are rather familiar with, then plunged somewhere else that's totally strange to you, different substrate, temperature, humidity than before. Wouldnt you be a little freaked out? ;)

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Two days is no where near close to the time it takes for the spider to become acclimated. Give it two weeks and make sure that it isn't falling too hard by removing enclosure height. Do not use mesh lids. Hanging from one leg would mean that the spider's complete weight is being supported by a single tarsal claw pair, not good. At that point the spider has no control over letting go and is forced to hang.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

I've had mine for 3 months & it still does that.
You most likely have a different issue than simple acclimation.

Shea

Arachnosquire
Yeah thanks guys
I also think it's just trying to get use to it's new home but I was afraid he would fall from too high up and hurt himself so I put I lil extra substrate in there. Hope its not too moist

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When tarantulas can talk, we will know for sure! Until then, we can only guess...
LOL - so true - this reminds me of something Schultz remarked somewhere in this forum ... [It's] the true spirit of tarantulas [to do] everything within their power to foil our best efforts at understanding them ...