new avic. versicolor sling housing

randall94

Arachnopeon
I got simple stuff and threw it together, of course i sanded down the sharp edges inside. I hot glued everything together. I think they came out great. nothing to look at but its the T that is inside that you look at. If you want me to make you one let me know. I can make terrestrial and arboreal. I have been using them for a week now and my slings are so happy, they all webbed their new homes within the week.

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nice try!
But.
That mesh you glued on will not do. T's are able to chew through that with no trouble at all.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen that cube size. I don't like them. I like to give my Avics more space for a few molts. Those are too narrow for my liking, BUT aren't impossible to use.

Things to change:

1. Get a new AMAC cube, and drill holes for ventilation on all four sides. Measure the width, divide by 4 and drill holes each 1/4 segment. I do something similar down the length. I also drill a few holes on the top because there are times when Avics will molt in their canopy and NOT come down to the bottom to drink. So being able to add water droplets from above onto the canopy so they will drink for sure is much easier on the owner's nerves and the T too hah.

2. I'd use a much shorter AMAC cube than what you chose. I use an inverted AMAC design, I find it much easier for Avic husbandry. There's a pic below for you demonstrating the AMAC inverted strategy.

3. They need a water bowl

4. Lastly, you can abandon AMAC cubes and use a 32 oz deli cup instead like I also use. Easier to clean their spray poop off that's for sure, clear and certainly cheaper.

Here's a link for you to read as well in case you haven't seen it or don't know that much about Avic husbandry. If you are relatively new to Avics I strongly suggest you read it.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

View media item 34728

Last edited:

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
you can get aluminum vents for pennies at your local hardware store. I would recommend you use those so that your T cant get out. Additionally make sure you have ample cross ventilation.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you can get aluminum vents for pennies at your local hardware store. I would recommend you use those so that your T cant get out. Additionally make sure you have ample cross ventilation.
If you're talking about those circular screens, Ts can chew through them and get out.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
If you're talking about those circular screens, Ts can chew through them and get out.
Name a thread or case where it has occurred. I haven't been able to find one yet. Jamie's tarantula's uses these metal vents and multiple users on this board use these enclosures. They are far stronger than standard screen mesh or aquarium mesh. The T inside that size enclosure isn't a large spider either. If it can eat through that type of metal it can probably chew up plastic as well.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
How long have you been looking? :D

Ask and you shall receive http://arachnoboards.com/threads/how.284121/#post-2484370
Okay great. I asked in this thread and n
How long have you been looking? :D

Ask and you shall receive http://arachnoboards.com/threads/how.284121/#post-2484370
Okay :) So it can happen over some period of time. I asked in this thread and got no response.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/jamies-tarantulas-enclosure-experience-review.285576/
Now show me the link where someone's T escaped because of the mesh "slow" attack :)

How long did it take that T to do this? My bet is that the same T could do worse damage to a deli cup over the same amount of time and you may never even see where it is being done because of all of those 100 holes that are scattered across the tub/cup. I have some new 16 ounce deli cups that are literally splitting every time I try to put holes in them bigger than a pin hole (plastic is so thin). It is kind of hilarious to see anyone attack this mesh based on the comparison of materials.

Another thing about AMAC enclosures (including Jamie's) is that the unit is closed solid easily for me (can see visual of the linking parts) when you close it. I have already goofed once and left a condiment lid loose on top of a cup. Lucky for me the spider in it was happy enough to not be wanting to go wandering. I need to be more careful but just glancing at the lids you can't tell anything.

EDIT* Jamie does sell replacement mesh units.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay great. I asked in this thread and n

Okay :) So it can happen over some period of time. I asked in this thread and got no response.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/jamies-tarantulas-enclosure-experience-review.285576/
Now show me the link where someone's T escaped because of the mesh "slow" attack :)

How long did it take that T to do this? My bet is that the same T could do worse damage to a deli cup over the same amount of time and you may never even see where it is being done because of all of those 100 holes that are scattered across the tub/cup. I have some new 16 ounce deli cups that are literally splitting every time I try to put holes in them bigger than a pin hole (plastic is so thin). It is kind of hilarious to see anyone attack this mesh based on the comparison of materials.

Another thing about AMAC enclosures (including Jamie's) is that the unit is closed solid easily for me (can see visual of the linking parts) when you close it. I have already goofed once and left a condiment lid loose on top of a cup. Lucky for me the spider in it was happy enough to not be wanting to go wandering. I need to be more careful but just glancing at the lids you can't tell anything.

EDIT* Jamie does sell replacement mesh units.
I know you did, and I replied back then too.

I haven't seen a report of how long it took to destroy mesh. If you find one, let us know ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I know you did, and I replied back then too.

I haven't seen a report of how long it took to destroy mesh. If you find one, let us know ;)
Okay. And it isn't my argument to adamantly defend the AMAC's that Jamie sells. I am still learning, but always willing to question comments not to disagree but instead to understand details. I suppose there is no perfect solution. I currently have multiple styles of enclosures and am still learning what works best. The deli cups are certainly the best cost effective solution for large numbers of slings.

[QUOTE="shining, post: 2513078[/QUOTE]
For whatever reason Shining has lots of lollipops to give out and is short on comments on this discussion. I am sure I will get another one on this comment. lol.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay. And it isn't my argument to adamantly defend the AMAC's that Jamie sells. I am still learning, but always willing to question comments not to disagree but instead to understand details. I suppose there is no perfect solution. I currently have multiple styles of enclosures and am still learning what works best. The deli cups are certainly the best cost effective solution for large numbers of slings.

[QUOTE="shining, post: 2513078
For whatever reason Shining has lots of lollipops to give out and is short on comments on this discussion. I am sure I will get another one on this comment. lol.[/QUOTE]

Lollipops=nice try/calm down, stop grasping at straws. I'm glad you are inquisitive and question, that is a good thing but you came off like you were arguing a point that had already been dulled.

@viper69, commented what I would've said so there was no need to comment.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
For whatever reason Shining has lots of lollipops to give out and is short on comments on this discussion. I am sure I will get another one on this comment. lol.
Lollipops=nice try/calm down, stop grasping at straws. I'm glad you are inquisitive and question, that is a good thing but you came off like you were arguing a point that had already been dulled.

@viper69, commented what I would've said so there was no need to comment.[/QUOTE]
I suppose I partially misunderstood the meaning of a lollipop as whining (childish), etc. But I think many of the new threads are repeats of the same information reworded again (dulled down). So if someone gives their negative opinion of something someone else will have to give their positive opinion of the same thing if they disagree which is all good if respect is there.

But "arguing" is certainly not what I meant to happen since I am never afraid to be wrong. It is always much better to become right than stay wrong. I meant for this thread to provide any one reading it (including me) as much details of the problem and comparison to other options as possible. I currently have a lot more deli cups and plastic tubs than AMAC's, but do like the AMAC's for arboreals once the spider reaches a more mature size.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

@viper69, commented what I would've said so there was no need to comment.
I suppose I partially misunderstood the meaning of a lollipop as whining (childish), etc. But I think many of the new threads are repeats of the same information reworded again (dulled down). So if someone gives their negative opinion of something someone else will have to give their positive opinion of the same thing if they disagree which is all good if respect is there.

But "arguing" is certainly not what I meant to happen since I am never afraid to be wrong. It is always much better to become right than stay wrong. I meant for this thread to provide any one reading it (including me) as much details of the problem and comparison to other options as possible. I currently have a lot more deli cups and plastic tubs than AMAC's, but do like the AMAC's for arboreals once the spider reaches a more mature size.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I never viewed the lollipop icon in that manner at all. That's pretty interesting. I usually use it when I read a post that is quite good.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

But "arguing" is certainly not what I meant to happen since I am never afraid to be wrong. It is always much better to become right than stay wrong. I meant for this thread to provide any one reading it (including me) as much details of the problem and comparison to other options as possible. I currently have a lot more deli cups and plastic tubs than AMAC's, but do like the AMAC's for arboreals once the spider reaches a more mature size.
Interesting, I never viewed the lollipop icon in that manner at all. That's pretty interesting. I usually use it when I read a post that is quite good.[/QUOTE]

There is that too, a candy as a reward. I wonder what it's true purpose was when it was added.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Interesting, I never viewed the lollipop icon in that manner at all. That's pretty interesting. I usually use it when I read a post that is quite good.
There is that too, a candy as a reward. I wonder what it's true purpose was when it was added.[/QUOTE]
lol. I suppose this is also why I was completely confused on my first thread on this site when there was a joke about who has the most lollipops.

Jake J

Arachnochode
2. I'd use a much shorter AMAC cube than what you chose. I use an inverted AMAC design, I find it much easier for Avic husbandry. There's a pic below for you demonstrating the AMAC inverted strategy.

What size would you recommend for a 1/2" to 3/4" versi sling? I'm looking into ordering some from the container store now...

Jeff23

Arachnolord

What size would you recommend for a 1/2" to 3/4" versi sling? I'm looking into ordering some from the container store now...
Jamie's containers for spiderlings are 2-1/4" square x 4-1/4" tall. I think there is a similar size at the Container Store. I have a few Avic's that size in mine and it works well.

Jake J

Arachnochode
Jamie's containers for spiderlings are 2-1/4" square x 4-1/4" tall. I think there is a similar size at the Container Store. I have a few Avic's that size in mine and it works well.
How about when they reach adult size?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
How about when they reach adult size?

Thanks for the help!
Jamie's Tarantulas has a custom full size acrylic container that is very nice but is pricey if you are going to eventually need a bunch of them. I have one of them and like it. Some people use various grocery type containers. I saw a mention somewhere for Walmart Cheese Balls containers, but I don't know how well it works or looks. Hobby Lobby has some nice clear display cases but they appear to only be convertible for smaller arboreal T's. That is an area where I also need to look at other options. I like the idea of building my own from acrylic sheets, but that would take a lot of spare time.