New Avic - New Enclosure or Convert Old?

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
So this weekend I'm picking up an Avic from a Craigslist seller. They've got it set up terrestrially, in a 10 gallon aquarium.
I'm looking at an acrylic conversion kit so I can use the aquarium vertically and just drill a crapload of holes into the acrylic door.
Am I better off with that or attempting to put together an enclosure out of something like a pretzel barrel?
The barrel could have more ventilation but the narrow top seems like it could be a problem. However, since the T is already living in the aquarium, I'd have to temporarily relocate it into a tupperware for 24 hours while the silicone dries.
The upside of the aquarium is that it gives me time to put together a nice setup. Also, the conversion kit will take like.....2 weeks to arrive so the T is stuck in that crappy setup until delivery.

Sorry if this seems like a noob question. I haven't had an arboreal before and I just made the purchase agreement this afternoon so I'm panicking a little.
TIA.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So this weekend I'm picking up an Avic from a Craigslist seller. They've got it set up terrestrially, in a 10 gallon aquarium.
I'm looking at an acrylic conversion kit so I can use the aquarium vertically and just drill a crapload of holes into the acrylic door.
Am I better off with that or attempting to put together an enclosure out of something like a pretzel barrel?
The barrel could have more ventilation but the narrow top seems like it could be a problem. However, since the T is already living in the aquarium, I'd have to temporarily relocate it into a tupperware for 24 hours while the silicone dries.
The upside of the aquarium is that it gives me time to put together a nice setup. Also, the conversion kit will take like.....2 weeks to arrive so the T is stuck in that crappy setup until delivery.

Sorry if this seems like a noob question. I haven't had an arboreal before and I just made the purchase agreement this afternoon so I'm panicking a little.
TIA.
Do what's best for the T. I don't see how any of us can tell you what's right for YOU, only the T. In short, go with what provides good cross vent as you know.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
Do what's best for the T. I don't see how any of us can tell you what's right for YOU, only the T. In short, go with what provides good cross vent as you know.
Got it. I've got my shopping list all ready, the little lady will have a nice new home waiting for her.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It really depends on the size of actual tarantula you are getting.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A. avic won't get bigger than 4.5" at the most usually. 10 gallon, I agree, is a waste of space. I'd rather house a rufilata, violaceopes or something of that size in there. I agree though, do what's best for the T, not what is easiest to do for you ;)

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
A. avic won't get bigger than 4.5" at the most usually. 10 gallon, I agree, is a waste of space. I'd rather house a rufilata, violaceopes or something of that size in there. I agree though, do what's best for the T, not what is easiest to do for you ;)
Yeah, I think a Mainstay jar or a pretzel barrel is the way to go here. Plus, from what I've seen and read, it's a MF so I won't have to rehouse unless I choose to.
But if you're out my way and you want a free aquarium, let me know. :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, I think a Mainstay jar or a pretzel barrel is the way to go here. Plus, from what I've seen and read, it's a MF so I won't have to rehouse unless I choose to.
But if you're out my way and you want a free aquarium, let me know. :)
I am on the other side of the pond ;) But there are plenty others that may contact you on that offer ;)

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
I am on the other side of the pond ;) But there are plenty others that may contact you on that offer ;)
They can have it. And they can have the five gallon that my dad's girlfriend forced on me......been in the hatch of my car since last summer. Still haven't come up with a use for it but it makes a delightful screeching noise every time I make a turn. :)