New Avic Enclosure. Feedback?

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
So, I've been working on this new enclosure for my 3.5" A. avic since she molted earlier this month, and I was wanting to get some feedback from you all before rehousing her. Sorry for the quality of the pics, my cell phone camera is terrible.

The dimensions are 6"×7"w ×15.5"h with approximately 2" of sub. I made the backdrop two weeks ago with a foam board, GE brand black silicone II, scavenged bark, Fluker's moss, and substrate. After adding the plants and sub and leaving it for a couple of days to make sure the sub was dry (rehydrated brick), I noticed a bit of a musty smell, so I added more ventilation. I'm going to let it sit for another day or so to make sure that takes care of the problem.

However, I'm wondering if she'll have enough cover. I want her to be comfortable, and the right side is more bare, although there are a couple of plants. What do you all think? Am I good to go on the rehouse (as long as the musty smell is gone)? Or does she need a bit more cover? Any other advice?

Thanks, everyone! :)

Attachments

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Great job! looks good to go. make sure the silicone is fully cured. It can off gas some nasty stuff even after its dry to the touch. read the label of the silicone you used to see what the full cure time is. Also want to make sure you did not use a type of silicone that prevents mold mildew the additives used can kill invertebrates. It must be 100% silicone no additives.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
@Lokee85 FYI, using white text makes your post almost unreadable in some themes, like the default theme, which is cream-colored.

Lokee85.png

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Great job! looks good to go. make sure the silicone is fully cured. It can off gas some nasty stuff even after its dry to the touch. read the label of the silicone you used to see what the full cure time is. Also want to make sure you did not use a type of silicone that prevents mold mildew the additives used can kill invertebrates. It must be 100% silicone no additives.
The tube is 100% silicone and said 30 minutes to dry, 24 hours for full cure, but I had read about the off-gassing, so I've been letting it air out and taking my time to finish it. Most comments I found where others had used the same silicone said they let theirs air out for at least a week and had no problems. It's been two weeks, and I haven't smelled the silicone for about a week, just the musty smell I mentioned.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
The tube is 100% silicone and said 30 minutes to dry, 24 hours for full cure, but I had read about the off-gassing, so I've been letting it air out and taking my time to finish it. Most comments I found where others had used the same silicone said they let theirs air out for at least a week and had no problems. It's been two weeks, and I haven't smelled the silicone for about a week, just the musty smell I mentioned.
Good to hear!

eminart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
GE brand black silicone II
I'm not saying it will definitely harm your spider, but the Silicone II is the stuff with mold inhibitors. I know the reptile folks generally freak out if you say anything about using this. GE Silicone I doesn't have the additives. Maybe there's been some discussion about this here that I don't know about? I do know, before I'd ever read anything about it, I used some Silicone II for a frog enclosure, and, to my knowledge, never had any issues. But, I probably wouldn't knowingly use it now.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I'm not saying it will definitely harm your spider, but the Silicone II is the stuff with mold inhibitors. I know the reptile folks generally freak out if you say anything about using this. GE Silicone I doesn't have the additives. Maybe there's been some discussion about this here that I don't know about? I do know, before I'd ever read anything about it, I used some Silicone II for a frog enclosure, and, to my knowledge, never had any issues. But, I probably wouldn't knowingly use it now.
Thanks for the info! Here's one thread where they talk about the silicone II specifically, and I've come across several more that used it with no issues. However, I'd love to hear from others who have used it more recently, as well. I'm going to dig out the tube and have another look to be sure. I would hate to use anything that might hurt my Morticia.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/enclosure-silicone-ge-ii-save-or-toxic.239461/

eminart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info! Here's one thread where they talk about the silicone II specifically, and I've come across several more that used it with no issues. However, I'd love to hear from others who have used it more recently, as well. I'm going to dig out the tube and have another look to be sure. I would hate to use anything that might hurt my Morticia.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/enclosure-silicone-ge-ii-save-or-toxic.239461/

After doing a little more googling, I'm no longer sure myself. However, if GE silicone I and II were both JUST 100% silicone, then there would only be one kind of GE Silicone. There is a difference, but I'm not sure if there are actually mold inhibitors in either, now that I read more. However, only the II says "mold free" on the tube. According to the GE website, the difference is in the chemicals used to cure, but I don't know what that has to do with the mold statement.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I read someone's comment in one thread saying something along the lines that the reason for it saying mildew resistant or whatever is because 100% silicone is more resistant than other types of caulk that have acrylic and other stuff added... Not sure of the accuracy, but maybe.

eminart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
But GE Silicone I is 100% silicone too, and it doesn't say anything about mold resistance.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I think the only difference between the silicone I and II is the curing time. The silicone II is supposed to dry and cure faster. Maybe the addition of the "mildew resistance" to the GE II is just a marketing ploy to sell more silicone lol.

UPDATE: The enclosure still has a musty smell to it, so I'm going to let it air our longer and hope for the best, I guess. I may end up adding a bit more ventilation, but I'm definitely not putting her in there til the smell is completely gone.