new avic avic

bandit1994

Arachnopeon
I just got my first t an avic avic and I have it in a 3.3 gallon tall tank well I be able to keep it in that tank or should I look at in the future a bigger tank

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
Hey hey! Kudos on your tarantula! Soon, you may find that having one is simply not enough. I have many species of Avicularia, and I could not be happier. I'm not sure how big a 3.3 g tall tank is. It is very likely that you will need to upgrade her enclosure.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I just got my first t an avic avic and I have it in a 3.3 gallon tall tank well I be able to keep it in that tank or should I look at in the future a bigger tank
Depends on the size of the T and the tank and how well ventilated you've managed to get the tank.
Pictures and more information will help with what you're asking.

Last edited:

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Depending, a 3.3 gallon enclosure might be perfectly fine for an Avic. avic. They do not get very large. I have mine in a 2.55 gallon enclosure and it is plenty big for my girl who is almost full grown. It would be helpful for you to post a picture as there are much greater concerns about Avic. housing than the size of the enclosure. You will want adequate ventilation, you won't want any screens, and you will not want to keep it overly moist.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Pics would be nice, or the size of the T. Otherwise it is not that easy to give the prober advise. ;)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Well, you're going to need to give it a lot more vertical stuff to climb on/hide behind as this is an arboreal T. Also a water dish, unless I just didn't see it in the photos.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Turn that piece of wood vertical. That's an arboreal, not a terrestrial tarantula. It will make a hammock web up high and hang out there. A avics are great. The tank size is fine btw

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Put plenty of fake plants in there and as others have stated stand a piece of cork bark vertically.
You may be better using plastic aquarium type plants as some silk/fabric plants can contain harmful dyes

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Agree with other responses: think vertical with arboreals. You could glue-gun plastic plants on sides of enclosure -- always give an avic something to attach its webbing to. This species requires good ventilation and some enclosure height. I offer mine a water bowl at bottom (which I've personally witnessed my avic using) but some folks prefer to glue-gun a water bowl higher up in enclosure. But whatever you decide, do offer a water source. Unlike terrestrials, substrate is more for looks -- a healthy avic shouldn't be hanging around the bottom of enclosure much.
I have no experience housing an avic without side/cross ventilation. Not sure how to advise further, given your set up.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Thanks it is a screen top and I get a water dish for soon
Screen top can cause your T. to lose legs. Their little claws can easily get stuck in the screen. Buy a piece of acrylic from a hardware store, cut it to size, and drill plenty of ventilation holes to replace the screen.