New Asian Forest Mama w/ Babies! Advice?

gothmoth

Arachnopeon
Hello all!
I got a female Asian Forest scorpion a bit ago- and apparently she'd been left to mate with a male prior to me getting her because I woke up to a back-full of babies the other day! I was planning to move her into a bigger house but obviously decided not to after I saw she'd had a load of babies. I've researched general information- but I need some specifics. I have my collection in my room for context. I've read that you need to leave her be, but keep her especially warm and humid/moist- I've got the heat part down, but I've also seen that if she gets stressed or senses danger, she may begin to consume her young. I really want to avoid this, so how should I mist her? I have a relatively small collection so I mist everyone by hand, no humidifiers. Would it be okay for me to lightly spray some warm water in there, away from her of course? She's in a 5gal with plenty of shelter and warmth.
Also this may sound dumb but because my collection is in my room, I do general cleaning like normal humans, and I need to vacuum- desperately. The vibration/noise/light from the vacuum wouldn't bother her, right? I just don't know how sensitive I need to be to keep her happy. First time dealing with any kind of young, so apologies if I'm overthinking this!
<edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Misting is actually not useful. What you want to do is keep the substrate moist throughout, so pouring water into the corners is perfect and won't disturb her. The vacuum shouldn't be a problem - just try not to bang it into whatever the enclosure is on. You can wait until the babies come off her back to offer live food - they won't generally eat at this point, and the live prey can stress out the mom, so it's better to avoid it. When they do come off, feed her and she'll feed the babies. They scavenge nicely while they're very young.
If you want to separate the babies, you can do that after they come off mom's back, but it isn't necessary to do it right away. As long as you provide enough food, scorpions in this genus will live together pretty harmoniously for months, until they start to outgrow the enclosure.

gothmoth

Arachnopeon
Misting is actually not useful. What you want to do is keep the substrate moist throughout, so pouring water into the corners is perfect and won't disturb her. The vacuum shouldn't be a problem - just try not to bang it into whatever the enclosure is on. You can wait until the babies come off her back to offer live food - they won't generally eat at this point, and the live prey can stress out the mom, so it's better to avoid it. When they do come off, feed her and she'll feed the babies. They scavenge nicely while they're very young.
If you want to separate the babies, you can do that after they come off mom's back, but it isn't necessary to do it right away. As long as you provide enough food, scorpions in this genus will live together pretty harmoniously for months, until they start to outgrow the enclosure.
You are an angel. Thank you so much, I actually have been pouring some warm water in her home, I tried misting her once while I was misting everyone before and it seemed to irritate her, so pouring water in there seemed smarter. And thank you for clarifying on my silly concerns- I've seen folks say to remove the babies immediately or she'll begin to eat them, so thanks for putting me at ease!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
With some genera of scorpions, cannibalism is a much higher risk. Heterometrus are less inclined to it than many, although it can of course still happen. Many people leave the babies in with mom for months with no issues - it depends mostly on the amount of food and space they have available, but also partly on the temperament of the mother.

Crom

Arachnosquire
Instead of misting just pour some water on the substrate and keep it moist. As long as it's moist, which it should be anyway, the humidity should be fine. And you won't need to spray as much.

Definitely leave her alone as much as possible, and avoid vibrations as much as possible. Leave then with her after they molt and feed her a lot of extra food items often. I suggest tong feeding large dubia. She will raise and feed her babies for several instars. Some will say remove the babies, but these scorpions are excellent mothers and take care of their brood for extended periods in the wild. You can find burrows with multiple generations in their natural habitat. Just make sure there's plenty food going around, more is better than less but crickets are probably the least best of options as they will eat babies if mom hasn't killed them and fed them off. It's amazing to watch mom feeding her babies a large dubia roach, just saying 😉