New arrived coming next week-A. geniculata My first one of this species...

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
Well, I ordered a A. geniculata ¾” sling for delivery next week. I am working on its new housing. I am using a Parmesan Cheese plastic container. It measures 2 ¾” across and is 6” tall. The lid is secure screw on and the two divided openings snap tight. It was easy to add vent holes to the top of lid without damage. I put 1” of sanitized heavy boiled river gravel on the bottom and covered it with purified water. Hopefully this will help with humidity and provides a nice heavy base weight. The substrate is coco, potting soil, vermiculite. Little cork bark hide. Pictures attached. Please tell me what you think of this set up for this sling. Thanks.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Not sure why you would choose such a needlesdly deep enclosure for such a small t...but your call:)

Stones on the bottom for drainage and humidity?...where did that idea come from?....humidity isnt relevant, just damp sub is....theres no need at all for any kind of drainage plan...keep things simple and easy....dont over complicate a simple task.

Enjoy, great species to raise.

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
Not sure why you would choose such a needlesdly deep enclosure for such a small t...but your call:)

Stones on the bottom for drainage and humidity?...where did that idea come from?....humidity isnt relevant, just damp sub is....theres no need at all for any kind of drainage plan...keep things simple and easy....dont over complicate a simple task.

Enjoy, great species to raise.
yes, I understand the relative humidity nonsense. But I think humidity from the bottom of the substrate up is perhaps beneficial and a mimic toward their natural environment. I do not think it is very complex at all. The container is tall, but only has 2 1/2" of substrate. I am going to give it a try and see how it goes. I can always rehouse if it is not to my or the tarantula's liking. Thanks!

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
If yours is anything like mine was at that size it will dig all the way down there and you will never see it lol. 😂

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
If yours is anything like mine was at that size it will dig all the way down there and you will never see it lol. 😂
Yes, no bigger around then a deli cup, but deeper!! I am OK if it burrows. I assume it is just "spidering"... LoL

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
@Poonjab My first sling enclosures were those shakers they have for cheese and crushed red pepper flakes at pizza restaurants! 😂 I honestly have no idea where that came from but now I use condiment cups like @The Grym Reaper's and a few of these little bad boys. 0E9E651F-4241-48F1-9455-41302273022D.jpeg

I actually tend to house slings in a way that discourages them from hiding and burrowing because I like them out and ready to eat/grow. But, if you really want then to be able to dig, they can do so in something as small and shallow as the 4.5 oz containers above. Regardless of anything, I think condiment cups are the best for small slings. Cheap (usually free) and easy.

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
@Poonjab My first sling enclosures were those shakers they have for cheese and crushed red pepper flakes at pizza restaurants! 😂 I honestly have no idea where that came from but now I use condiment cups like @The Grym Reaper's and a few of these little bad boys. View attachment 338384

I actually tend to house slings in a way that discourages them from hiding and burrowing because I like them out and ready to eat/grow. But, if you really want then to be able to dig, they can do so in something as small and shallow as the 4.5 oz containers above. Regardless of anything, I think condiment cups are the best for small slings. Cheap (usually free) and easy.
Yes, indeed. I have never been a deli cup fans, but the Rubbermaid, etc containers are OK and I have used them in the past. My collection is small, so I am going to try this and can always re-house if the T or myself does not like it! Thanks.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I think your setup is a bit weird but it can work. The spider won't be in there long, though. Hope you have something else ready!

I keep seeing people push shallow condiment cups for spiderlings, but when you raise dwarf species in a dry climate, keeping them hydrated in a 3/4oz condiment cup is a nightmare. I prefer dram vials filled 2/3 with packed substrate.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
For slings that are at least 3/4” to 1”, I use 4x4x4 AMAC boxes. I raise the slings in these containers until they reach 2.5” to 3”...then they go into larger containers or adults enclosures.

7BFD9027-27FD-4648-A5FF-198D9E662258.jpeg

I purchase them 25 at a time from Amazon. They stack nice, they look uniform.

A85E2A53-54FE-41BC-8358-F509F5DE19A7.jpeg

I drill and assemble them in groups, and I usually have 6 to 8 of them assembled and ready for substrate. A sling is then transferred and the enclosure labeled.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
For slings that are at least 3/4” up to about 3”+/-, I use 4x4x4 AMAC boxes.

View attachment 338394

View attachment 338395

I drill and assemble them in groups, and I usually have 6 to 8 of them assembled and ready for substrate. A sling is then transferred and the enclosure labeled.
Yes, those look nice. I will definitely look into these as I find them attractive and utilitarian. Thanks!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
For slings that are at least 3/4” to 1”, I use 4x4x4 AMAC boxes. I raise the slings in these containers until they reach 2.5” to 3”...then they go into larger containers or adults enclosures.

View attachment 338394

View attachment 338395

Those look nice. Good work.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I use them too :)
And the taller 4x4x8 for arboreals

I drill the lids for ventilation and to fill water bowls with a pipette

I just ordered some 5/8" plug-type caps from ebay for feeding without removing lids

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
There really isn't a better species imo. A genic= king of tarantulas
I agree completely, I really love the A.geniculata species.

They caught my eye a long time ago and thus made my list. Yet so many people here have posted such great things about the species in varying threads, that they gradually moved towards the top of my to get list.

I currently have 10 slings, ranging from 1/2” to a bit over 3/4”, well they were that size when they arrived. They are incredible; course they've been moulting here lately like popcorn. They have their consistent A.geniculata behaviors, but they each have their own individual behaviors. Some of the smaller ones are a bit reclusive, and tend to spend lots of time in their hides, venturing out during the cover of darkness. They love to fill their water dishes with substrate, but I've caught them enough times drinking from the dish, that I dutifully clean it and maintain it for them. Several of them are very active excavators, creating incredible piles of substrate and warrrens of underground tunnel systems. My daughter has named one “Bob”...as in “Bob the Builder”.

But yes...wow they are A.geniculata's at heart. They eat everything, incredibly strong feeding response. I typically feed the A.genics last, on their feeding days...so that if I'm running low on smaller sized roaches, no problems the A.genics are reliable feeders and willingly possess a “David vs Goliath” psychosis concerning the relative size of prey items...amazing species, I love them dearly.