new arrivals

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well my new t came today and 2 roach starter groups, now i'll be able tobreed lobsters and surinams for the winter, the t was told to me it was a male pinktoe(its abouy 5 inches), but, this spider is so docile i thought it was really weird also i looked on the first pair of legs at least 6-7 times and could not find any hooks, i was like no way and kept looking but no hooks to be found, an the t is stocky looking as opossed to being leggy, so i think when the guy sexed it he guessed wrong, so i'm pretty happy i got a 5'' inch female pinktoe and it is quickly becoming my favorite t, i just cannot beleave how docile it is, it seems to be doing really well too it ate a roach already and started a web, and it just got here in the mail! the roaches are lobsters and surinams, so i'm gonna have fun breeding them, for some reason i want like 3 morepinktoes now,lol, ---Jeff

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

well...my best wishes to you, but most dealers will not incorrectly sex a 5" T to be female when it is male, as profits are concerned the difference is marked. The size difference is usually a pretty inconclusive method of sexing unless youve spent alot of time comparing the two sexes of the species. Some arboreal species, particularly poecilotheria, wont get the tibial hooks either. Chances are what youve got is an imature/penultimate male.

If it is female, then good call and i wish you and your t the best.

-V

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i got it from a guy who is'nt a dealer, this was the first time he ever tried to sex a t, and i have heard that pinktoe males have distinctive hooks, plus it is quite stocky and fat, but perhaps i could be wrong but i'm leaning towards female, thanks--Jeff

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
The male A.Avics that I have had did have hooks and they were longer legged with smaller bums. I never had one go more than 4.5" either. It sounds like you just may have a female there - I hope you do and have many good years with her.

As for those lobster roaches - a colony can get big fast, believe me on this one :) I don't have any of the surinams so I can't compare the two, but I can compare the lobsters to hissers and they are MUCH faster, very nervous and will give you a bite if the spirit moves them. Kinda like a cricket bite though - no harm other than startling you. I've also noticed that the lobster, when restrained, make some sort of wierd noise. I haven't figured out how they do it yet, but the definately make an audible noise that's sorta like a cross between a hiss and a squeak.

Gail

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

yeah i know what you mean gail, i kept hearing this ''weird'' noise from the roaches,lol, i did'nt know they made noise, yeah i can't wait till i have a massive colony, gonna get a plastic sweaterbox for em or 2,lol, thanks for the info on the a. avics to--Jeff