"New arrivals" & "Chances of survival?"

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
(Graphic Photos!!!)

Today i picked up some Tarantulas from someone leaving the hobby. I got the best deal I could ever imagine. It was way too good a deal to pass up so i borrowed the money from my sister to get it. :worship: :D

For 100$ :drool: I got: A 7" P. pedersini freshly molted female. (2 years old)
6" B. smithi female (5 years old).
4" T. violaceus female (2 years old) "missing both back legs also has a "dislocated" abdomen."(caused by a bad molt)
Cages also came with: A 16"x8"x8" arboreal Tarantulas.com top loading style cage was a complete suprise!! The others were 5 gal and 2.5 gal.

I am curious of your opinions. What are the chances of her surviving another molt? If she survives a couple molts will she ever correct her abdomen? :? She has a good appetite. Doesnt show much fatigue, doesnt try to run fast. She is fairly docile, and a bit skittish. Heres some photos of the New Ts:} and the injury caused by a bad molt. :(
I will try to get more photos when she moves position.

The good news:Sorry for the bad quality pics.

Bad news:

More photos:

Last edited:

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice find....
Your Tap. seems fine i would just let her be...
:eek:
woah i retract that statement because of what i just saw
(the other pics of the tap.... dorsal view)
never seen anything like it.....
it looks like she needs to stop climbing so that ab doesnt fall off.....
i would put her in a smalerenclosure the till next molt...
It would take her a few molt's to generate a stump...
But only time would tell....

Peace!!!:

Last edited:

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah i agree , if that is an old injury, there just like wine it will only get better with time

some adult female smithis go for $150.00 to $200.oo
p. pederseni female she probably has about 4 to 8 years left depending where you get your info at , she is probaly worth around $80.oo to $100.oo by herself

these are just my opinions on what their value if you can put a price on them , im sure not about the tap and i could be wrong too,im totally jealous , that im am 100% sure of that is quite a steal my young friend!

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would fee the tap sparingly. Mind you, I don't have any experience with a ruptured abdomen, but it does makes sense. Keep her well hydrated and go light on the food. The smithi alone is worth well over 100. Awesome! :clap:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
yeah i agree , if that is an old injury, there just like wine it will only get better with time

some adult female smithis go for $150.00 to $200.oo
p. pederseni female she probably has about 4 to 8 years left depending where you get your info at , she is probaly worth around $80.oo to $100.oo by herself

these are just my opinions on what their value if you can put a price on them , im sure not about the tap and i could be wrong too,im totally jealous , that im am 100% sure of that is quite a steal my young friend!
Thanks Joe! Now i need to find a male.. She looks hungry {D ;)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I would fee the tap sparingly. Mind you, I don't have any experience with a ruptured abdomen, but it does makes sense. Keep her well hydrated and go light on the food. The smithi alone is worth well over 100. Awesome! :clap:
She doesnt have a ruptured abdomen. Its sort of dislocated. It seems the muscle that allows her to move her abdomen isnt funtioning either. It hangs and flops around. Looks like it was tugged and stretched. She is very fat though! :p

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She doesnt have a ruptured abdomen. Its sort of dislocated. It seems the muscle that allows her to move her abdomen isnt funtioning either. It hangs and flops around. Looks like it was tugged and stretched. She is very fat though! :p
Dang.. Best of luck with the Tap.. I have no advice.. But I sure hope is pulls through with the next molt.. :) Is there a chance you might be able to get a more clear picture of her abdomen?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Dang.. Best of luck with the Tap.. I have no advice.. But I sure hope is pulls through with the next molt.. :) Is there a chance you might be able to get a more clear picture of her abdomen?
Camera battery is charging. :p I am goin to see if she makes it through, I wanted to share the experience since ive never seen this issue.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The section by the spinnerets? I don't know, looks odd to me.
I guess that is why in the first pic her abdomen is all 'flopped' over? Anyhow, good luck with her, they are all gorgeous. :}

If she doesn't have control over it, it would still seem wise to keep it a tad more slender than you would normally, just to negate some of the strain of it swinging.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ouch! :eek:

I have never seen anything like that before!

My advice.. I would place her in something where she cant climb.. I wouldnt want her abdomen "flopping" around like that.. Also.. As stated.. Feed her very little.. Dont want her abdomen getting and larger than it already is..

Honestly though.. Being that I have never seen a situation like this.. I cant really say what should be done.. What I have stated is just what I personally would feel more comfortable with..

Hopefully she corrects the issue on her next molt..

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Ouch! :eek:

I have never seen anything like that before!

My advice.. I would place her in something where she cant climb.. I wouldnt want her abdomen "flopping" around like that.. Also.. As stated.. Feed her very little.. Dont want her abdomen getting and larger than it already is..

Honestly though.. Being that I have never seen a situation like this.. I cant really say what should be done.. What I have stated is just what I personally would feel more comfortable with..

Hopefully she corrects the issue on her next molt..
Thanks for the advice. Its a good idea to put her in a shorter enclosure. She seems like it doesnt effect her as much as i thought it would when i saw her. I cant believe she is even alive! :eek:

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have three pederseni slings at 1.5 " i get them sexed ill send a male to you and hopefully shes horny not hungry, lol .........oh and the tap she probably walks and drags her abdomin around funny those legs help to support the back end of her , thats my opinion no facts just my thinking and could be wrong, keep feeding her and she will molt and get her legs back within the next 3 molts

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have three pederseni slings at 1.5 " i get them sexed ill send a male to you and hopefully shes horny not hungry, lol .........oh and the tap she probably walks and drags her abdomin around funny those legs help to support the back end of her , thats my opinion no facts just my thinking and could be wrong, keep feeding her and she will molt and get her legs back within the next 3 molts
The issue is not the legs.. They grow back..

The abdomen looks as if it has seperated from the carapace..

I wouldnt think she would hurt her abdomen if she drags it.. Unless of course there are sharp edges from the decor.. So a larger abdomen being drug around IS a bad thing.. So.. Not feed her that much is a good idea..

Im sure you wouldnt want her abdomen to rupture from being to large & being drug around because she cant support it..

Just my opinion..

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Ok i tipped her container over and filled it with peat moss. I only left enough height so she can only fit herself on the glass but not climb. I dont think she is going to get injured. She dropped 6" to the sub when i spooked her taking a pic and didnt seem fazed one bit. :8o But she should be fine. I am very curious how she will turn out after molting. I had a H. albostriatum have a similar issue but it didnt have a disconected muscle. This T does. I guess well see what happends. I wonder how it would develop if it could correct it.. :?

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im telling you if you look close enough at all your ts you can see their tendons or whatever that is called , call paul becker and see what he says id feed her and push her into premolt and leave her alone , and she is aboreal give her room to climb they can take a fall alot better , dont forget she is a tap , so speed is an issue six legs or not, i would not want to find out the hard way. i think they have a nasty bite .just think opening up that and wham! sucks to be you, even the slowest t has a quick feeding response.

most ts rest their abdomin on the ground when resting or in an ambush postion , just let her be and she will be fine , i once bought a six legged regalis , it was a sling and didnt think much about. i still got it, looks darn good too, i feed it well and kept it moist and warm, it no longer looks like an ant!!!!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im telling you if you look close enough at all your ts you can see their tendons or whatever that is called , call paul becker and see what he says id feed her and push her into premolt and leave her alone , and she is aboreal give her room to climb they can take a fall alot better , dont forget she is a tap , so speed is an issue six legs or not, i would not want to find out the hard way. i think they have a nasty bite .just think opening up that and wham! sucks to be you, even the slowest t has a quick feeding response.

most ts rest their abdomin on the ground when resting or in an ambush postion , just let her be and she will be fine , i once bought a six legged regalis , it was a sling and didnt think much about. i still got it, looks darn good too, i feed it well and kept it moist and warm, it no longer looks like an ant!!!!
Let me see if I can try and explain this a little better...

The OP... He said the T has NO CONTROL over its abdomen.. OK.. Thats the issue..

The issue IS NOT the fact that the spider has 6 legs.. We all know the legs GROW BACK... We all understand that.. That is why its NOT an issue..

Again.. The issue.. The OP said the T has ZERO control over its abdomen..
It flops around.. If you feed her & "push her into premolt"... There is a high chance the she causes harm to herself..

The best thing is to remove the risk of her harming herself.. The only way to do that is to place the T is something it cant climb up on & feeding her sparingly.. This will remove the risk of the abdomen ruptuing & flopping around since the T has no control of it..

But as I said.. This is just how I would handle the issue.. But since I have no experiance with anything like this.. The OP could call someone with more experiance & see what they think.. As suggested..

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
I agree with Redneck.......

regardless if its an arboreal species or not, the best thing is to do what has already been recommended......regardless if they are better at taking a fall or not

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Someone more experienced than me think it would be a good idea to maybe somehow get a form of support going for that abdomen? Not sure exactly what could be used.

Super glue maybe? Something to make it more stable and attached to the Cephalothorax to help prevent further injury?

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe something like this as a rough idea,

The 2 green squares being some kind of material glued to the carapace and abdomen with a brace in the middle attached to the 2 squares.
Allowing minimum movement but doing no actual harm to the tarantula.

"This is just a rough idea"