New Archispirostreptus gigas (Giant African Black Millipede) Purchase

sheetssha

Arachnopeon
I just received 5 mixed Archispirostreptus gigas in the mail today! I couldn't be happier! They're close to 2 years old, and are very active little things. My hope is to someday attempt to breed and sell these, but for now, they're just fun. I got them from a breeder in New York. They made the shipment to Minnesota just in time before our snow storm.

Attachments

sheetssha

Arachnopeon
It was a lot of fun setting the substrate up, etc. Now, they've left me alone and are hiding, lol.

Lithobius

Arachnosquire
Gorgeous! These are fantastic!

I think I saw you post these these in one of the myriapod facebook groups...?

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I just received 5 mixed Archispirostreptus gigas in the mail today! I couldn't be happier! They're close to 2 years old, and are very active little things. My hope is to someday attempt to breed and sell these, but for now, they're just fun. I got them from a breeder in New York. They made the shipment to Minnesota just in time before our snow storm.
Is there any chance you could connect me with the person or place you bought them from? They look amazing and I haven’t been able to find a reliable seller yet. This would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks :)

7Fin

Arachnoknight
Wow, those are lovely! I hope you enjoy them <3

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
That's awesome. I have adults but want to add some more young ones to my tank.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Hey there! I commented on this post awhile ago and I've since got my own pair of Archispirostreptus gigas from a large breeder (not of millipedes, just everything in the industry). I came back to the post completely by accident and I've noticed that your millipedes have way too much banding for this species of millipede, have they gotten any bigger since you acquired them? If not, I am almost 100% certain that they are the dark form of Chicobolus spinigerus or the Ivory Millipede, which is often sold as Archispirostreptus gigas to deceive buyers. I would hate to be the one to tell you, but I just want to make sure you know so you can reach out to the person you bought them from. If they have grown to be much larger by now then I wouldn't worry about it, but they look like full-size adult Ivory Millipedes to me so I would imagine they'd be the same size.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Hey there! I commented on this post awhile ago and I've since got my own pair of Archispirostreptus gigas from a large breeder (not of millipedes, just everything in the industry). I came back to the post completely by accident and I've noticed that your millipedes have way too much banding for this species of millipede, have they gotten any bigger since you acquired them? If not, I am almost 100% certain that they are the dark form of Chicobolus spinigerus or the Ivory Millipede, which is often sold as Archispirostreptus gigas to deceive buyers. I would hate to be the one to tell you, but I just want to make sure you know so you can reach out to the person you bought them from. If they have grown to be much larger by now then I wouldn't worry about it, but they look like full-size adult Ivory Millipedes to me so I would imagine they'd be the same size.
Just writing back to myself, but if they were 2 years old when you got them, that would mean they are 4 years old now and should be well over 6 inches long!

pastel351

Arachnopeon
Just writing back to myself, but if they were 2 years old when you got them, that would mean they are 4 years old now and should be well over 6 inches long!
Those millipedes actually look a lot like a pair that I recently bought. They were sold to me as baby “West African giant millipedes” for $70 each. Based on what I’ve looked up online, I figured that they were baby Mardonius millipedes. Any chance you’d be able to tell me based on these pictures if that’s true or if these are those dark ivory ones? The larger of the two is about 2.5 inches long.

Attachments

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@pastel351, they aren't AGBs, I'm pretty sure of that based off their jet-black legs. Most likely MPAs.
Where did you get them from?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

pastel351

Arachnopeon
@pastel351, they aren't AGBs, I'm pretty sure of that based off their jet-black legs. Most likely MPAs.
Where did you get them from?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah I was under the impression they were MPA’s, but I never had anyone actually ID them. I bought them in person from someone at the Reptile Super Show in Anaheim. Thanks.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Oh cool! I was at the show too; I did see someone selling true AGBs, though they were twice the price of what you paid for these.

Can anyone else confirm that these are MPAs though?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

pastel351

Arachnopeon
Oh cool! I was at the show too; I did see someone selling true AGBs, though they were twice the price of what you paid for these.

Can anyone else confirm that these are MPAs though?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah, I saw that guy, too. I was kinda tempted but my friend talked me out of it.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Those millipedes actually look a lot like a pair that I recently bought. They were sold to me as baby “West African giant millipedes” for $70 each. Based on what I’ve looked up online, I figured that they were baby Mardonius millipedes. Any chance you’d be able to tell me based on these pictures if that’s true or if these are those dark ivory ones? The larger of the two is about 2.5 inches long.
Those don’t look like Ivories to me, way too thick and usually they tend to taper off a little bit towards their mouths which those aren’t. I think you have it right!