1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

New Archispirostreptus gigas (Giant African Black Millipede) Purchase

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by sheetssha, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    I just received 5 mixed Archispirostreptus gigas in the mail today! I couldn't be happier! They're close to 2 years old, and are very active little things. My hope is to someday attempt to breed and sell these, but for now, they're just fun. I got them from a breeder in New York. They made the shipment to Minnesota just in time before our snow storm.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoking

CT
    Congrats on the new addition! This species is great.

3. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince

Enjoy your new additions.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. It was a lot of fun setting the substrate up, etc. Now, they've left me alone and are hiding, lol.

5. Lithobius

Lithobius Arachnosquire

Gorgeous! These are fantastic!

I think I saw you post these these in one of the myriapod facebook groups...?

6. Haha, yes! That was me :). Feel free to friend request!

7. MarcoVincelli

MarcoVincelli Arachnosquire

USA
    Is there any chance you could connect me with the person or place you bought them from? They look amazing and I haven’t been able to find a reliable seller yet. This would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks :)

8. I absolutely would, but he is officially all out.

9. 7Fin

7Fin Arachnoknight

Wow, those are lovely! I hope you enjoy them <3

10. That's amazing!

11. The Odd Pet

The Odd Pet Arachnosquire Active Member

That's awesome. I have adults but want to add some more young ones to my tank.

12. MarcoVincelli

USA
    Hey there! I commented on this post awhile ago and I've since got my own pair of Archispirostreptus gigas from a large breeder (not of millipedes, just everything in the industry). I came back to the post completely by accident and I've noticed that your millipedes have way too much banding for this species of millipede, have they gotten any bigger since you acquired them? If not, I am almost 100% certain that they are the dark form of Chicobolus spinigerus or the Ivory Millipede, which is often sold as Archispirostreptus gigas to deceive buyers. I would hate to be the one to tell you, but I just want to make sure you know so you can reach out to the person you bought them from. If they have grown to be much larger by now then I wouldn't worry about it, but they look like full-size adult Ivory Millipedes to me so I would imagine they'd be the same size.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MarcoVincelli

USA
    Just writing back to myself, but if they were 2 years old when you got them, that would mean they are 4 years old now and should be well over 6 inches long!

• Like Like x 1
  14. pastel351

pastel351 Arachnopeon

Those millipedes actually look a lot like a pair that I recently bought. They were sold to me as baby “West African giant millipedes” for $70 each. Based on what I’ve looked up online, I figured that they were baby Mardonius millipedes. Any chance you’d be able to tell me based on these pictures if that’s true or if these are those dark ivory ones? The larger of the two is about 2.5 inches long.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020 at 11:23 PM
  15. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

@pastel351, they aren't AGBs, I'm pretty sure of that based off their jet-black legs. Most likely MPAs.
    Where did you get them from?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

16. pastel351

pastel351 Arachnopeon

Yeah I was under the impression they were MPA’s, but I never had anyone actually ID them. I bought them in person from someone at the Reptile Super Show in Anaheim. Thanks.

17. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

Oh cool! I was at the show too; I did see someone selling true AGBs, though they were twice the price of what you paid for these.

Can anyone else confirm that these are MPAs though?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

18. pastel351

pastel351 Arachnopeon

Yeah, I saw that guy, too. I was kinda tempted but my friend talked me out of it.

19. MarcoVincelli

USA
    Those don’t look like Ivories to me, way too thick and usually they tend to taper off a little bit towards their mouths which those aren’t. I think you have it right!

20. pastel351

pastel351 Arachnopeon

Cool! Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.