New and wanting to start out right.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Did you say it's -37C, as in negative 37C in your house?
...feels like it some days...but no, that was outside...:D

I think I'll avoid the cobalt blues and baboons for now...try something a little less demanding...but thanks for the suggestions!

We stopped by another pet store on the way home last night...and they also had a Chilean Rose (I think, it wasn't labelled), but not as nice as the other two I saw. I have to be careful...because I'm getting excited and want a spider NOW...lol...but as I mentioned, I don't want a collection, so I have to make myself be patient...{D

Last edited:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
...feels like it some days...but no, that was outside...:D

I think I'll avoid the cobalt blues and baboons for now...try something a little less demanding...but thanks for the suggestions!

We stopped by another pet store on the way home last night...and they also had a Chilean Rose (I think, it wasn't labelled), but not as nice as the other two I saw. I have to be careful...because I'm getting excited and want a spider NOW...lol...but as I mentioned, I don't want a collection, so I have to make myself be patient...{D
remember that most rosies are wild caught and there is no guarantee of life span. I had a buddy buy one and it oaid a sack a few days later. I dont recommend a rosie... get a brachypelma or an avic. Project13 has a video of his rosie going nuts.

Rue

Arachnoknight
...I'm on dial-up here at home...but I can check out the video next week when I'm at the office...thanks!

None of the pet-store spiders were very large...so I'm assuming juveniles ...but again, don't know enough to be certain...

It would be funny if I ended up with a hatch. I had a hatch of Black Widows (that *duh* I wasn't expecting)...and it didn't end well for the babies...(no choice in the matter) .

But with baby T's I'd feel obligated to rear them...:D

Vespula

Arachnodemon
For a first T, I would reccomend Grammostola pulchripes. They're friendly and get huge. Coco fiber is a good subsrate. :D Welcome to the addiciton! I mean hobby... yeah... :cool:

Rue

Arachnoknight
Thank you! I'll add them to my short list! :D

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

BTW...I have another question.

How is the shipping survival rate of spiders and rearing rate?

I'm just wondering if I should order 2 spiderlings in case one doesn't make it? If they both make it I'll deal with it down the road...(keep both or rehome one to a suitable home).

Don't think I want to go for a larger safety factor than 2...or I will be collecting...:rolleyes:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
For a first T, I would reccomend Grammostola pulchripes. They're friendly and get huge. Coco fiber is a good subsrate. :D Welcome to the addiciton! I mean hobby... yeah... :cool:
agreed and one of my favs! {D

winwin

Arachnoknight
If you can, get a G. Pulchra, you won't regret it. It's beautiful, large and very docile. Pulchripes would also be good, so is a smithi. If you want a pig of a T, get the A. Geniculata, gets huge fast and it's always great to see them eat because they grab the prey with all 8 legs. Hope that helps. :D

Rue

Arachnoknight
It all helps! :D

Now I just need to settle on which tactic to persue. I'm so bad for waffling!

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Depending on where you are, I can only assume you mention 'northern desert' meaning western Canada, there are a number of shows coming up out there. You would be better off purchasing in person as it will be some time before the weather won't be of concern.

Join us in the sub-forum!!!

Rue

Arachnoknight
LOL...yes...we live west of Saskatoon...on pure sand...many many feet deep...land of ants and ant highways making their way through our (usually) drought stricken lawn (or what passes for a lawn out here) ;)

Starting anything new...I find there are a number of ways to do things...not necessarly all right or wrong...but better or worse.

I have a tendency to be 'overly' concerned/safe with my critters...but if shipping with heat bags works well, I am willing to try. If not...I can wait for a show or wait until the weather warms up more (although I think we're past the worse of the deep freeze).

With the by-laws, I don't imagine Saskatoon is permitted to host a show/sale?

Rue

Arachnoknight
...oh boy...it's tough making a decision! B. smithi, B. auratum or G. pulchra...

...that's the top 3, after L. violaceopes...:?;)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would say most newbie rules need not apply to you given the circumstances and what you have included in your original post, so pick whatever and research the heck out of any possible extra needs it might have (like extra humidity).

as far as personal experiences go, i found most of my terrestrials (a fair amount of which are Brachypelma) to be rather easy going pigs once past the 3" mark. i can pinch grab all of my Brachypelma and Grammostola, which gives me a certain degree of confidence while dealing with them in situations like maintence, etc. i don't have with some of my other tarantulas. sometimes you have to avoid them kicking off hairs, but even my B. boehemi usually gives up after a few half-hearted attempts not deterring me.

what they make up for in docility, however sometimes does not outweigh how terribly boring they can be.

Last edited:

Rue

Arachnoknight
LOL...that's okay...they can't possibly be more boring than Black Widows...

...and I have dogs to go for walks with, cats to sleep with and parrots to converse with...;)

I'm good with occaisional spider 'sightings'...

It's also their biology that interests me...not 'only' the pet factor...