New and Long Adventure: Brachy Slings!

joossa

Arachnobaron
The Brachypelma genus is my favorite tarantula genus. After getting into the hobby, my goal was to get my 3 favorite species: B. hamorii, B. boehmei, and B. albiceps.

Earlier this year, I got my first T: A 4.5in B. hamorii. Then got a 5in B. boehmei. I had been looking for juvenile B. albiceps, but it seems they aren't really offered all that much... especially sexed ones.

I got tired of waiting and now have six B. albiceps 0.5in slings coming in next week. I'm hoping I get at least 2 females from the batch. I spent a researching how to keep slings and it's still is a bit intimidating. On top of this, I know this is going to be a very long journey due to their slow growth, but I'm ready to commit and I ain't getting any younger. If figure that since I have two larger Ts, getting some experience with slings will be a good thing.

Preventing desiccation is my biggest concern since I'm going to keep them between 80F and 86F.

So far, I've prepped their enclosures: 3oz condiment cups, packed down reptisoil, small piece of cork, tiny water dish, and 2 small strands of sphagnum moss. Let me know if you see any issues. Want to avoid them burrowing deep and eating less, so not a lot of sub was used.

Going to have to learn how to keep part of the sub moist without overdoing it. Let me know if any of you keep you under 1in Brachy slings on the drier side.

20210718_172602.jpg

20210718_172617.jpg

20210718_172630.jpg

20210718_172701.jpg

20210718_172716.jpg

20210718_173325.jpg

20210718_173535.jpg

20210718_173543.jpg

20210718_173943.jpg

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Looks fine to me.
I keep my albiceps almost identically with even less sub. They're doing great.
Keep the water dish full and just put a squirt on the side now and then. Things are barely moist some of the time.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Let me know if any of you keep you under 1in Brachy slings on the drier side.
I am. I keep them like this:

9CFC5E9B-1109-44F6-B55B-F019993FBAAE.jpeg

If Brachypelma genus is your favorite, then consider this one as well. It’s ex Brachypelma, currently Tliltocatl schroederi.

One of my favorite.

6F3E62FF-D333-4B67-BB4D-0B353CF61BCE.jpeg

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Keeping smaller slings on the dry side (even with a tiny water dish) isn't something I would risk. As much as possible, I'd want my animals to live a full and healthy life. To err on the side of caution, both the water dish and slightly moistened sub in a corner ought to provide the necessary moisture to prevent the slings from desiccating. Once they reach 1.5" though, you can start to keep them like adults. I have yet to raise an actual sling of my own, but this is what I'd do until it reaches a size that it's waxy cuticle has been present.

Both B. boehmei and B. hamorii were acquired at 1.5". Kept them on the dry side with a water dish. Never had issues. You're basically experiencing what I hope to at some point in the future. I would absolutely enjoy raising tiny slings and see how well they grow over the years. B. albiceps along with B. klaasi and B. emilia are at the top of my wish list. Add to those a G. pulchra, G. iheringi and an A. chalcodes. I will be in Pet Rock Heaven ;) One of these days.

Best of luck with your group of albiceps. Do share their glacial growth rate regardless. I'd be very interested to see how long it takes with the temps you plan to keep them at.

joossa

Arachnobaron
Keeping smaller slings on the dry side (even with a tiny water dish) isn't something I would risk. As much as possible, I'd want my animals to live a full and healthy life. To err on the side of caution, both the water dish and slightly moistened sub in a corner ought to provide the necessary moisture to prevent the slings from desiccating. Once they reach 1.5" though, you can start to keep them like adults. I have yet to raise an actual sling of my own, but this is what I'd do until it reaches a size that it's waxy cuticle has been present.

Both B. boehmei and B. hamorii were acquired at 1.5". Kept them on the dry side with a water dish. Never had issues. You're basically experiencing what I hope to at some point in the future. I would absolutely enjoy raising tiny slings and see how well they grow over the years. B. albiceps along with B. klaasi and B. emilia are at the top of my wish list. Add to those a G. pulchra, G. iheringi and an A. chalcodes. I will be in Pet Rock Heaven ;) One of these days.

Best of luck with your group of albiceps. Do share their glacial growth rate regardless. I'd be very interested to see how long it takes with the temps you plan to keep them at.
Yep. A water dish and keeping half of the sub moist will be the plan.
Yeees! :D Brachys and the like are my favorites! Raising slings will be a fun journey. I'll come back and provide updates.

That tiny water dish will dry up quick at 86 degrees.
Yep. I only have two other Ts and they are big and don't require regular maintenance, so I don't mind giving the incoming baby Ts some extra maintenance time.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
7 cups for 6 slings? I think I'm missing something here. If you don't already I would recommend a plastic pipette to fill dishes and precisely moisten the substrate. I can't wait to see pictures when you get them.

joossa

Arachnobaron
7 cups for 6 slings? I think I'm missing something here. If you don't already I would recommend a plastic pipette to fill dishes and precisely moisten the substrate. I can't wait to see pictures when you get them.
6 B. albiceps and the seller is throwing in a freebie B. smithi sling. 😀

Yep! Got pipettes and wash bottles ready to go. Not going to use a spray bottle. So excited! Going to get crickets over the weekend to start gutloading them with healthy fruits and veggies and quality cichlid pellets for protein.

Should have had the slings shipped this week, but have been busy with work. More to come!

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
IMO.The enclosures look good.Fill the tattoo ink cups once a week,and drip water down one side twice a week.Between that and food,chopped mealworms or whatever you decide on will be good for hydration.
Remember you can put spaghnum moss in the larger tub,and moisten it down.
Never a dull moment raising slings,unless they all molt at the same time🤣.

joossa

Arachnobaron
After an exciting week+ wait, they are finally home today. 🥰 I actually ended up ordering a total of 8 B. albiceps and got the one B. smithi as a freebie.

Added water to the sub and filled the water bowls a few days ago just to get the sub re-moisted up since it was bone dry and hydrophobic. I'm learning a little water in the sub goes a long way, haha. 😅

All the babies were easy to get out of the vials and into their new enclosures. All were sweeties and none really bolted. Was extra sure to be patient and gentle. I'm a 6'1" tall, pretty big guy and delicately handling tiny things is a bit intimidating, but it all went well.

They have water and I'm going to let them settle in and offer prekilled small crickets or chopped crickets on Thursday. Most of the B. albiceps are tiny. The B. smithi seems a little bigger. I'm eager to know how much they will grow given they are going to be kept on the warmer side (86F daily high and 77F as the nightly low). I'm not holding my breath faster than normal growth and am in no rush, though! Super excited nonetheless. I have each sling numbered and a journal to record molt dates and other info.

20210727_095748.jpg

20210727_100413.jpg

20210727_100742.jpg

20210727_102439.jpg

20210727_103541.jpg

20210727_103838.jpg

20210727_105615.jpg

20210727_110204.jpg

20210727_111323.jpg

20210727_111154.jpg

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What a haul ! I dream of doing something like this, but maybe another species. Something that people don't tend to breed much, like G. porteri or A. hentzi to name a couple. Best of luck raising these beauties :)

joossa

Arachnobaron
The Brachy babies had their first meal last night... well, most of them. Seems like one or two didn't eat. Maybe premolt? I offered half a small cricket to each. The others inflated like little ticks. So cute!

All seem to be doing well in the warmer temp ranges so far.

20210729_191708.jpg

20210729_190547.jpg

20210729_192422.jpg

20210729_190905.jpg

20210729_192732.jpg

20210729_194004.jpg

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
So cute! Do you plan on keeping all 8 albiceps or will you sell some when you determine which are female?

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You are truly living the dream ! Raising a bunch of slow-growing Ts and seeing how they do over the years is something I plan on doing at some point. And at least one successful breeding attempt. I'll be truly happy after that :)

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Set ups look great :)

B. albiceps were the very first spider I wanted, had a mild interest for T's for years but albiceps was the final push! Grabbed a sling........101 days unseen (and counting) :drunk:

Good job I grabbed some other slings that are a bit more active!

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I recently acquired a group of six B. boehmei slings. A species I've wanted forever, but was reluctant to get because of the muddied/unknown genetics that was in the hobby. Now that legally captive bred "true" specimens have been legally imported from Mexico such as the ones I got, I can finally feel the excitement of watching a group of them grow over the following years. I understand your excitement...I still feel it even after being in the hobby for twenty plus years lol.

joossa

Arachnobaron
So cute! Do you plan on keeping all 8 albiceps or will you sell some when you determine which are female?
Will definitely be getting rid of some of them once they are older and sexed. My brother keeps a lot more Ts than me, so some will go to him. I want to keep at least 2 females. Will likely sell the rest... if I don't get too attached that is. 😅
May dnd up trading for other B. albiceps that came from a different source/bredder so I can eventually breed down the line.

You are truly living the dream ! Raising a bunch of slow-growing Ts and seeing how they do over the years is something I plan on doing at some point. And at least one successful breeding attempt. I'll be truly happy after that :)
Jump in! It's totally worth it. 😀
Seeing them take on size and colors is going to be great.
With my batch, I'm a little hesitant about breeding since I'm almost 100% sure they are siblings from the same sac. I would prefer to breed individuals from different parents. Something I will be reading into and getting advice on later on.

Set ups look great :)

B. albiceps were the very first spider I wanted, had a mild interest for T's for years but albiceps was the final push! Grabbed a sling........101 days unseen (and counting) :drunk:

Good job I grabbed some other slings that are a bit more active!
They do take their time when they want. Having a few slings keeps things fresh. They are so easy to take care of.
Do you keep yours around room temperature?

I recently acquired a group of six B. boehmei slings. A species I've wanted forever, but was reluctant to get because of the muddied/unknown genetics that was in the hobby. Now that legally captive bred "true" specimens have been legally imported from Mexico such as the ones I got, I can finally feel the excitement of watching a group of them grow over the following years. I understand your excitement...I still feel it even after being in the hobby for twenty plus years lol.
I think I know the source you got them from. It was cool to see them get the stock in from MX. Good luck with raising yours!

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince