Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got some new scorps in today. I recieved the following:

0.0.2 Hottentotta judaicus
0.1.0 Hottentotta polystictus
0.0.1 Hottentotta sp. "Tanzania"

Hottentotta judaicus

Hottentotta polystictus

Hottentotta sp. "Tanzania" I've narrowed it down to trilineatus or minax. Anyone know any differences between the two?

Cheers.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow.. thos eare some awesome little scorps you got there man! I like the second one.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks man! Hottentotta's are becoming by far my favorite genus. The judaicus would be my favorite though. :)

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The last one looks very much like my trilineatus. My conclusion is just based on the markings.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah I meant the second pic of judaicus :D sorry I just like how you can see the red palps in the second one. I hope to get some judaicus this year :DH.polysticus photos on the scorpion files gallery would work as well.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hopefully you can aquire some, they are fun scorps. :)

Good news! I found a ID key for minax and trilineatus. Later on today Ill get the scorp out and determine what sp. it is. Ill make sure to post the results. :)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
apparently there is no difference between "H.polystictus, H.trilinatus, H.eminii or H.minax" in what concerns the pet trade, unless you get it IDed, you cant tell, and an ID would require a dead specimen

last time i asked, Eric labeled his "minax" simply because thats the name they were sold to him under, this complex of Hottentotta species is a nightmare!

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Using the ID key the Tanzanian specimen matches trilineatus. :)

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cool stuff ryan. i've never seen a dark backed polystictus like that before.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey John,

Thats because I think we usually see trilineatus labeled as polystictus in the pet trade a lot.

Cheers.

Forgot about the bad news. :( Last night the smaller judaicus passed. 2 days ago he seemed like a normal scorp, Yesterday he could barely twitch his legs. :(

Bit of back story. When he arrived(2 days ago) he was motionless and unresponsive, after he got warmed up he seemed fine.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was in doubt at first, but this seems to be a H.trilineatus, I base this on the looks of the carapace and tergites.
Ochlospecies :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

as far as I remember H. minax has a well developed subaculear tubercle which trilineatus/eminii/polystictus hasn´t. However, I´ve never been able to distinguish species of the trilineatus complex 100%, even by using the Vachon & Stockmann key.

I´d be very interested where you found the minax, trilineatus key (although I´m having my doubts it´s really working).

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Alex,

I think (if I remember correctly) you can also find a key to H.trilineatus in Kovariks'"Scorpions from Ethiopia, Sudan, Eritrea and Djibouti"...........