New Additions

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
I went to the Reptiday just down the road from my house, fully not expecting any millipedes.
To my surprise and delight, there was someone selling some!
I got them for a good price 6$ each. The guy was selling 6, I only had enough for 5, so he threw in the 6th for free.

I know what the one species is (orthoporus ornatus) Gold Desert
The darker species was sold to me as Orthoporus texicolens, Chocolate Desert Millipede but I'm not sure if that is what they are.
They have some green banding, and they look familiar to me but I can't place them.

If you know what they are, please let me know.
Also, do you know if these two species would try to interbreed? I know they CAN'T but I've read some closely related species can sometimes successfully breed.
I don't want to keep them together if they can interbreed.

Other than that I don't need care tips, so without further ado, here are my new children.
Best I can tell, I got at least one male and female of the Chocolate Deserts, and at least one female Gold Desert. I didn't wanna roughly handle them right away so I'll try to sex them at a later date for sure.
One of the gold's is smaller and adorable and I love them.

0001.png 0003.png 0004.png

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Very nice!!
Thank you! I'm very excited.
I don't know if the Gold's will breed (since no one has been successful breeding them thus far) but hopefully the Chocolates will.
I'm so excited these are the largest species I have / have had.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That O. ornatus is stunning. Very nice haul, especially since it was a surprise!

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
That O. ornatus is stunning. Very nice haul, especially since it was a surprise!
Yeah! This was the first time I've seen millipedes at a reptile show, so it was very nice. Especially since they were at such a great price too.
Hoping more shows in the future will have millis for sale and more species!
The O. ornatus is one of my favorite US species, so I'm glad I got them.
I'm not sure if I ended up with at least 1 male / 1 male of each, but I'm hoping I did.
If not I can always buy more online later haha.

The O. ornatus might not reproduce, there's been no success of breeding this species in captivity but I'm going to see if I can't accomplish it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The O. ornatus might not reproduce, there's been no success of breeding this species in captivity but I'm going to see if I can't accomplish it.
Perhaps it's just been a lack of trying :D Best of luck to you!

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Perhaps it's just been a lack of trying :D Best of luck to you!
Oh I'm fairly certain a lot of people have been trying, just not been successful.
I'm not sure (I don't think anyone is sure) why they haven't bred, other than we're missing some key element to please them.
Maybe they need specific wood, maybe it's a plant, maybe they need smooth jazz.
Don't know haha.