New additions and first 'escape'

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. I have some new spiders to show to you guys. Nothing super special.

I got some new slings, B albopilosum, L parahybana, and another g porteri. I didn't take any pictures of these guys as they're tiny, slow, and just kinda pink. I DID however get one juvi. A 2.5 inch a avicularia. (I'm assuming A avic as it was just labeled 'pink toe' and looks like your basic pet store avic)

Anyway, the avic 'escaped' tonight for about 2 minutes. I realized I didnt add any decoration to its tub for it to anchor webbing too, and rather than wait for it to web a corner, only to have it get messed up every time I open the lid, I figured I'd be better off attaching some cork bark to the sides of the enclosure.

I cupped it, and removed it from the tub while I wroked. This went fine. Getting it back in didn't go as well. For me an avic this big is my fastest moving spider, and also the only one I own that can jump. I understand that these guys are harmless, but my instincts tell me to keep my hand away from spiders so it made this a little more of a headache.

As I prodded it to get it back in the enclosure, it looped around the tube and came straight at my hand, and I will admit, I let go of the tube rather than have it run up onto me and potentially kill it with my knee jerk reaction. Now before anyone thinks I dropped a spider 40 feet, I'm not THAT stupid. I did all my work on the floor, and with the tube basically inside the enclosure meaning the spider and tube fell a whopping 1-2 inches. Still not my proudest moment. Then the spider in a calm manner walked off the tube and onto the wall of its enclosure and I figured all was done and I had a good scare.

No, all was NOT well. I used my tongs to remove the tube that I used to cup the spider and it spooked, and dove off the side of the enclosure and ran right under my TV stand. In retrospect, this could have been avoided if I had worked in a larger area, so rookie mistake. Lucky for me, I prodded it from under the tv stand and onto the side, and after it kept switching corners on me, and bolted several more times all over the tv stand, I got it recupped, calmed my anxiety, and got it back into its enclosure using its instinct against it. Since they love to go 'up' I made it so that when it got to the end of the tube 'up' was the side of the enclosure and NOT back 'up' the tube at my hand.

This was fun, and rather irresponsible on my part. I feel stupid for making such obvious mistakes, but I also feel like this tought me some valuable lessons that I will remember in the future when dealing with 'fast' aboreals. Yes, I know an avic isn't fast, but it is fast for ME.

IMG_2622.JPG IMG_2496.JPG

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Sounds like quite the adventure! Don't beat yourself up too bad as Avics can be very fast when startled.. It's good to see you making mistakes with species that aren't particulary defensive or ones that have potent venom.

There is a learning curve when it comes to working with tarantulas and it's natural to make mistakes early on... Sounds like your learning from it.. Congrats on the new pick ups...

Pretty Avic BTW they are still one of my favorites after all of these years...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Lovely read :)

Avicularia can be fast actually, it is just that they seem to have more tolerance to being coaxed before they bolt.They seem to get annoyed more than spooked when rehoused/coaxed. They'll start moving slowly and doing circles on the spot, than short bursts until they've had enough and just bolt.
I witnessed this with my A.metallica.
With Psalmopoeus it is stubbornly staying on one spot, or bolting in a random direction. Or just explode in a run at the first touch. :D

Giles52

Arachnopeon
Glad it worked out in the end! What a crazy first night for the little guy, but he/she looks settled in now :) Congrats on the successful rehouse and the new Ts.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
lol...

My only avic right now goes the other way. If I want it to go up, it goes down. If I want it in....yup out.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Lovely read :)

Avicularia can be fast actually, it is just that they seem to have more tolerance to being coaxed before they bolt.They seem to get annoyed more than spooked when rehoused/coaxed. They'll start moving slowly and doing circles on the spot, than short bursts until they've had enough and just bolt.
I witnessed this with my A.metallica.
With Psalmopoeus it is stubbornly staying on one spot, or bolting in a random direction. Or just explode in a run at the first touch. :D
Ah, that explains my experiences.

I got two avics last week and had no trouble coaxing them in to the new enclosures. All it took was gentle prodding to move each from the deli cup into the enclosure.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I was hoping to read the question, "Do you think I'm ready for OW's yet?" in the original post. lol

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
It seems like when it would bolt or jump it wouldnt go very far, but the movement itself was basically impossible to see completely with my eyes.

And HAH, I think I'll pass. This is scary enough when if CANT hurt me. Maybe let this thing explode and try to escape on me 10 more times, let something threaten me 40 times, and let my girfriend P irminia grow up and let me work with that thing for a bit and then MAYBE, just MAYBE, we'll consider something a bit more advanced.

Also I've been making a lot of local friends that have a lot more advanced sp than me that live surprisingly close and have offered to let me come over and work with them and learn. It's a very very tempting offer. It would be a good learning experience if nothing else, but if I make noob mistakes like I did last night, it could go from education to, 'god damnit that P regalis just bit me and I can't afford a hospital visit so i have to ride it out and go to work tomorrow.' See, that doesn't sound fun.

Last edited:

clive 82

Arachnoknight

I got some new slings, B albopilosum, L parahybana, and another g porteri. I didn't take any pictures of these guys as they're tiny, slow, and just kinda pink. I DID however get one juvi. A 2.5 inch a avicularia. (I'm assuming A avic as it was just labeled 'pink toe' and looks like your basic pet store avic)

Anyway, the avic 'escaped' tonight for about 2 minutes. I realized I didnt add any decoration to its tub for it to anchor webbing too, and rather than wait for it to web a corner, only to have it get messed up every time I open the lid, I figured I'd be better off attaching some cork bark to the sides of the enclosure.

I cupped it, and removed it from the tub while I wroked. This went fine. Getting it back in didn't go as well. For me an avic this big is my fastest moving spider, and also the only one I own that can jump. I understand that these guys are harmless, but my instincts tell me to keep my hand away from spiders so it made this a little more of a headache.

As I prodded it to get it back in the enclosure, it looped around the tube and came straight at my hand, and I will admit, I let go of the tube rather than have it run up onto me and potentially kill it with my knee jerk reaction. Now before anyone thinks I dropped a spider 40 feet, I'm not THAT stupid. I did all my work on the floor, and with the tube basically inside the enclosure meaning the spider and tube fell a whopping 1-2 inches. Still not my proudest moment. Then the spider in a calm manner walked off the tube and onto the wall of its enclosure and I figured all was done and I had a good scare.

No, all was NOT well. I used my tongs to remove the tube that I used to cup the spider and it spooked, and dove off the side of the enclosure and ran right under my TV stand. In retrospect, this could have been avoided if I had worked in a larger area, so rookie mistake. Lucky for me, I prodded it from under the tv stand and onto the side, and after it kept switching corners on me, and bolted several more times all over the tv stand, I got it recupped, calmed my anxiety, and got it back into its enclosure using its instinct against it. Since they love to go 'up' I made it so that when it got to the end of the tube 'up' was the side of the enclosure and NOT back 'up' the tube at my hand.

This was fun, and rather irresponsible on my part. I feel stupid for making such obvious mistakes, but I also feel like this tought me some valuable lessons that I will remember in the future when dealing with 'fast' aboreals. Yes, I know an avic isn't fast, but it is fast for ME.

View attachment 232579 View attachment 232580
Nice looking Avic! At least you can recognise where you went wrong & know for next time how to do things differently. That's how you gain experience & that's a big part of what I love about this hobby, you never stop learning :happy:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
See, now that is a good way to learn and get to know other species. You don't have to do anything, just watch how people go about things.
But i like how you feel about it, you are honest and realistic with yourself.
But if you decide to stick to NW, or more 'docile' species, that doesn't make you any less. It isn't a race, thank god.

Nolimit2far

Arachnopeon
My avic avic is fun and seemingly harmless. I've seen mine do some impressive pounces however. She gets nippy when I mist the enclosure if she hasn't eaten in a few days, and if I go a week or more without feeding her, she will ferociously hunt down anything I put into her enclosure. They can most certainly jump several inches at minimum too. ;)

Looking at that pictures at a glimpse, looks like you may have a handsome male specimen. You'll have to get him/her fattened up and settled in, then should have no problem sexing. ;)

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Gonna let him/her settle for another day or two and then start feeding. It's really easy to tell when I should let my other Ts eat and when they're in premolt or could do with a break on food. I don't really know that fine line with the aboreals yet, but I'll learn in time.

Also male or female, for 10 dollars I couldn't go wrong. Hopefully with its first molt at my house we'll be able to nail it (;

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

Wait until you're rehousing and it leaps out of its catch cup (before you can put the lid on), and lands on your cheek.
Did not scream or throw her to the floor. In truth, I froze in a basic scaredy cat way. She inspected me and then smugly leaped back into her cup! :meh::anxious::shifty:

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
I was hoping to read the question, "Do you think I'm ready for OW's yet?" in the original post. lol
I remember when my P. Regalis decided it would rather make a mad dash for the open spot than the new home id made for it. First OW rehomed id done at the time, had heard stories of awful venom and was already nervouse. To say I damn near died from heart failure is an understatement lol.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Wait until you're rehousing and it leaps out of its catch cup (before you can put the lid on), and lands on your cheek.
Did not scream or throw her to the floor. In truth, I froze in a basic scaredy cat way. She inspected me and then smugly leaped back into her cup! :meh::anxious::shifty:
did she give you an itchy beard? :p

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am ever cautious with my A. avic these days. That baby gave me quite the scare too! (I am seeing a trend here...lol)
I was filling her water dish one late evening, and she made a mad dash out of her enclosure, up my arm, and was inbetween my shoulder blades within seconds.
Needless to say, after 10 mins of going over every possible way to get her safely from the top-middle of my back, I had to yell several times to awaken my fiance from the next room for assistance..
:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

Alana

Arachnopeon
My Avicularia sp. Peru Purple did a mad dash when I rehoused her. Luckily she didn't climb on me but it took me a good while to catch her. Everything gets rehoused in the bath now!

Wuuushot

Arachnopeon

Funny story, :) those little critters can be full of surprises. I also just experienced an escape. I changed my Smith's soil yesterday and i thought I'd let the terrarium out in day light and exposed to a direct light with the afternoon/evening sun. I also left a very small gap at the bottom of the sliding glass to let more air circulation when I left this morning.
As I came back home after work 30 min ago I couldn't find my Princess in her terrarium and started freaking out... "damn!! little bitch got away"... I just turned my head to the left and saw her cosy resting in the plastic box I use when I clean her terrarium. All in all she just moved 40 cm away from her original box. More than the scare, I am really awed at the power it had to lift the glass... IMG_20170612_174913.jpg

That's the gap I left

IMG_20170612_174921.jpg

And there she was resting :)

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am ever cautious with my A. avic these days. That baby gave me quite the scare too! (I am seeing a trend here...lol)
I was filling her water dish one late evening, and she made a mad dash out of her enclosure, up my arm, and was inbetween my shoulder blades within seconds.
Needless to say, after 10 mins of going over every possible way to get her safely from the top-middle of my back, I had to yell several times to awaken my fiance from the next room for assistance..
:rofl::rofl:
Was I drunk when I wrote this?? Lol. I did not have to wake up the fiance...I Almost had to...No idea why I said I did. LMAO!! (it must have been the wine confusing me...)