New Addition

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
Last night I purchased my fourth T, Lasiodora Parahybana. I'm very excited to be adding this species to my collection. What is the growth rate like for them? My B Smithi and G Pulchripes are both said to be slow growers, while my A Geniculata is said to grow pretty fast.

Also, I'm already looking at the Aphonopelma Seemanni as my next purchase. Thoughts on this species?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
If kept warm and fed the LP can reach 4" in its first year, so fast growers.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
One of the fastest growing. This is my personal favorite tarantula. Cheap, easy care, get big and always eat. My big lp is my avatar.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Mine did not have the explosive growth rate that some people experience, probably because for 5-6 months out of the year on the average it is a bit cooler where I keep the spiders, but it still ran laps around nearly all of my others in terms of growth. I really like L.Ps.

10/14/2014 to 12/29/2016, a few days post-moult. I've not done an "official" DLS measurement yet, but I figure somewhere between 5 and 6 inches. Those white spots are on the glass, not the LPs abdomen as it appears, by the way.
m_L parahybana-horz.jpg

Last edited:

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
Being in southern Louisiana, keeping my Ts warm is definitely not an issue. It's been near 80 degrees here the past few days. So if heat is a contributing factor to their growth, I'm really looking forward to watching this one grow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Being in southern Louisiana, keeping my Ts warm is definitely not an issue. It's been near 80 degrees here the past few days. So if heat is a contributing factor to their growth, I'm really looking forward to watching this one grow.
You'll need to build a new addition to your house with their growth rate ;) It is anything but glacial.

SnowMonkey

Arachnopeon
Last night I purchased my fourth T, Lasiodora Parahybana. I'm very excited to be adding this species to my collection. What is the growth rate like for them? My B Smithi and G Pulchripes are both said to be slow growers, while my A Geniculata is said to grow pretty fast.

Also, I'm already looking at the Aphonopelma Seemanni as my next purchase. Thoughts on this species?
I'm in New Orleans, and everybody seems to be molting right now. Except my darn Seemanni. She's got a bare butt, and I expected her to go first but noooo... she's not ready. She's refusing food so I'm thinking it'll be soon.

Temperament and behavior-wise, I'd call her pretty shy. She does move around her tank a bit, but she really likes her hide and doesn't like it when I do maintenance or drop food in. I'm about to rehouse her with more sub and less surface area because she seems to bee a real digger.

She also seems to like it wetter than most. I keep enclosures dry, since I don't air condition my T room and the humidity is so high here. Everyone seems to do well this way, but the Seemanni likes to sit on the water bowl when the sub around it is wet, so I tend to overflow hers.

cold blood

Staff member
ive raised several Lasiodpra sp...my itabune grew pretty fast, but not outrageously fast....the rest grew at a medium pace...which is surprise as ts typically grow super fast for me.

That itabune is close to 4" in a year and a half...the lp that i recieved at the same time and size isnt quite 3".

Good eaters, but honestly one of the more boring larger species i have owned....id never ever buy one.