New Addition!

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Last night I went for a jog, with intent to do this every night along the road I saw the badger on after leaving the bar where I work part-time. In case anyone doesn't know, I have a thing for badgers.

Anyway, I heard some very loud and cute mewing from behind a locked fence, some old industrial type yard. I could have jumped the fence and thought of it, but this was on one of the streets that actually has traffic and I wasn't sure I wanted to explain myself as it was nearing midnight.

I went back today and asked the guys at the mechanics place located across from the abandoned property if they knew how I could gain access. Turns out it was theirs and we looked for the kitten together and found him straight-away. He was still crying and was out in the open sun clearly waiting for a mama that wasn't going to show. About 4 weeks old and cute as hell, I put him in the box I brought and drove straight to the vet. I had already been there once earlier in the day for an interview on some dead west nile horses.

We had talked about getting a kitten for the kids so the timing was perfect. We took the kids to the vet right after work, without letting them know why and they were very surprised and thrilled with the new addition. He's so young that he needs to be bottlefed and we'll have to set the alarm for the middle of the night to make sure he gets fed often enough.

Pretty darn cute, hey? We named him Badger. :D

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kittens are the cutest things in the entire world. Especially that one :D.

Hope you have a lotta fun with the lil guy Sheri... I'm jealous. I wanna 'nother kitten now.

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sherri, he is so cute!!!!!!! I, however, don't want another kitten. The feral litter of 3 tiny girls that we adopted last year are a year old now and I'm thinking of hiring them out as a demolition crew. They are into everything and have limitless energy!!!!
Oh, well, they are cute, I love them, and I've almost gotten to the point now, that I don't even jump anymore when I hear a crash from the next room.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats and that is definately one cute kitte... badger! :cool:

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
aww. Sorry, thats so sad. Kudos to you for helping him when he needed it!
:(

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It was too young to be away from it's mothers milk. Mother's milk is absolutely critical.
A baby badger would have been way cooler!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Aw, sorry to hear that, Sheri. At least you tried. I hope the kids didn't take it too hard.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am so sorry Sheri. :( Those little tiny orphans really get to the heart strings. No telling what might have been wrong, take comfort in the fact he passed away in loving arms rather than a cold empty junk yard.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats sad and i feel sorry for you the kids and the kit but you did your best and you tried to help him its people like you that make this crappy world better from a sad --- phil

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am not sure how long he was left alone without his momma, but that may have played a role in it?
Dehydration is what got him. The first day he ate fine. Second day he ate some but seemed a little lethargic. Since he was up and playing half the previous night, we didn't think much of it and thought he would perk up again in the evening, being nocturnalish and all.

Well, that didn't happen and by evening we were worried. I went to work came home and we knew he would have to go to the vet in the AM.

I was there for when it opened at 8:30 and they injected fluid under his skin but he died two hours later.

We half got this cat to cheer the oldest up about leaving Winnipeg and he took it really hard, so that really really backfired. :(

The youngest just said; "I wanted a black one anyway".

We buried him in the backyard because the vet can't keep bodies and throw them into a pit here anymore because of regulations relating to disposing of risk materials because of BSE so we had a little funeral.

And got another kitten which after our oldest son's reaction to the death, we are uber paranoid might die. ;)