New addition -- E. campestratus?

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, I picked up this gorgeous girl yesterday as an impulse buy at the pet store (I know, I know -- but it's a great establishment). She was sold to me as E. campestratus, but Imbrium's recent post (and the subsequent comments) made me wonder if she could perhaps be a G. pulchripes....

Her legs look much yellower in this particular lighting; in reality, they're more pinkish. She's super-docile and good-natured, as is already eating even though I've only had her about 24 hours.

Opinions would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Looks like G. pulchripes. Just search E. campestratus in the Arachnogallery and you will find a lot of pictures of tanish spiders with light stripping on the legs and pink setae on the abdomen. My description may be a bit off, as I am not looking at my specimen now. Just compare yours to the pictures. Good purchase either way.

--Dan

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pulchripes.........For some reason there has been a lot of confusion regarding ID'ing these as of late.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's pulchripes...

That 'great establishment' of yours needs to work on selling spiders as the correct species.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's pulchripes...

That 'great establishment' of yours needs to work on selling spiders as the correct species.
Ha, well...it appears you may be right. They're certainly great when it comes to reptiles, but perhaps Ts aren't their forte.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Thanks!! I'm looking at mine carefully, and I still can't be sure...but, if everyone here says G. pulchripes, I don't feel qualified to argue. Based on this post, I'd say the shape of her body and the length of her hairs look more like E. campastratus to me -- plus, I think she's more brown than black. I don't think I have a good enough eye to determine whether or not she has the enlarged tibia typical of E. campastratus, though, and her stripes do appear slightly more golden than pink under bright light.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Congrats:D
She is a beauty;)
Thanks...she is indeed! I just want to know what species she is, but I'll be happy either way. I suppose I'll find out for sure if she grows larger than 6"!

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
You have a G pulchripes. The tibia on the 4th leg of an E campestraus is thickened and they seem to me to have stripes on the patella where the G pulchripes does not or at least if they do they are not as noticeable.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Most pet shops dont bother Id'ng these themselfes. In most cases their T stock comes from random costumers looking to get store credit in exchange for their T's. At least thats what my pet store does..Ive also been victim to this, thinking its a PZB and ended up with a Chaco. Win nontheless for me, but I wouldnt be too harsh on teh store, also because they do look a bit miliar. No bog deal...Still nice pick up!

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You have a G pulchripes. The tibia on the 4th leg of an E campestraus is thickened and they seem to me to have stripes on the patella where the G pulchripes does not or at least if they do they are not as noticeable.
Thanks! I tried scrutinizing some comparison photos myself, and still didn't feel like I could tell 100%.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Most pet shops dont bother Id'ng these themselfes. In most cases their T stock comes from random costumers looking to get store credit in exchange for their T's. At least thats what my pet store does..Ive also been victim to this, thinking its a PZB and ended up with a Chaco. Win nontheless for me, but I wouldnt be too harsh on teh store, also because they do look a bit miliar. No bog deal...Still nice pick up!
This particular shop probably operates the same way...they specialize in reptiles, not Ts. They had a bunch of slings, probably from breeders, but some of their adults could very well be trade-ins. The guy who sold her to me even had his (former) own G. pulchra there, on hold for someone who was going to buy her (for $250! :eek:). When I saw this "PZB" I said, "She looks like a Chaco Golden Knee," and he just told me that they're very similar in appearance.

No complaints, though! I was considering getting a Chaco at some point, anyway.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can tell them apart because a G. pulchripes has YELLOW knees.
Very good point, haha. Interestingly enough, in person her knees look much less yellow. The lighting of the photo definitely enhances it, though I can see now that E. Campestratus has an overall more pinkish coloration.