New Acanthoscurria juruenicola

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A. juruenicola s'ling died last month so i went to brandons (reptistexotics) today and picked up this fat girl

heres the enclosure so far

now i have 2 questions..

1. how much should feed this spider? i've never had one with an abdomen this large before, i don't know if it can cause problems
2. is this T supposed to be so docile? it seems more calm than my rosies

i also got a new cat, another spider, and a scorpion today :) i've been busy

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
some are docile - my a. insubtilis isn't 'supposed' tzo be docile, but she's a lamb ;).

i'd add a real hide to the tank - they are out most of the time but will want to get somewhere safe when molting.

i wouldn't feed a spider with an abdomen that large at all - maybe a cricket a month for the benefit of my own conscience :eek:.
but honestly, i would let her starve a while until her abdomen is a nice but not obese size again. abdomens that large can lead to ruptures and death from the slightest fall or even from molting, so be careful and don't give her too much hight in the tank. fill up the substrate until there's only one legspan of space left to the top.

have fun owning her, they are great ts!

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
some are docile - my a. insubtilis isn't 'supposed' tzo be docile, but she's a lamb ;).

i'd add a real hide to the tank - they are out most of the time but will want to get somewhere safe when molting.

i wouldn't feed a spider with an abdomen that large at all - maybe a cricket a month for the benefit of my own conscience :eek:.
but honestly, i would let her starve a while until her abdomen is a nice but not obese size again. abdomens that large can lead to ruptures and death from the slightest fall or even from molting, so be careful and don't give her too much hight in the tank. fill up the substrate until there's only one legspan of space left to the top.

have fun owning her, they are great ts!
thanks, i'm going to pick up a hide today, i didn't know what the size of the T would be so i decided to wait on that.
thats what i thought about feeding her, whenever i see a fat T i feel like they could just eat until they explode! i'll try to get to back to a healthy weight, thanks for clearing that up

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
butt size

A good judge of how full to let the T get, is it should be a nice round shape and not much larger than the rest of the Ts body. A little leaner is probably better, don't let it get to be a real piggie.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
nice spider.def way overfed.i wouldnt feed her until she molts lol but thats me.also mabey i would think about giving her more substrate

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice spider.def way overfed.i wouldnt feed her until she molts lol but thats me.also mabey i would think about giving her more substrate
I agree but I think more importance is on the addition of substrate, given how big that abdomen is no one wants to hear about your new beautiful T taking a possibly fatal fall. Congrats on it! It's a beauty! :D

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks everyone, i think all my other T's have a healthy weight, this is the only one i'm having a problem with.
i'm going to continue with its diet and see how things go, and as for the cage i have put in a new hide that it has already started to web up and i added more substrate, i think everything should go well.