new A. Avicularia

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok i was at a local pet store, and i decided to look at the T's...they had a few roseas, 1 H. mac, and a few A. acics....the biggest of the avics caught my eye...so i asked if i could hold it, and when i got it out, it was the most gentle T ive ever seen...it was very slow and docile..never once made any threats, jumps, runs, anything....then i thought what the heck i might get me one...even though it is a pet store, and i also have 3 avic slings that are about 1 1/2"....i asked if there was anyone who could sex them, cause i couldnt without a molt....well it was pretty hilarious what they were telling me...if it has 8 legs its male, if it has 10 then its female, as i was still holding the big one, the woman counted the legs, and came up with ten, and said it was a female...i laughed and said that the first pair was pedipalps...and if you count it like that then yeah every T would be a female...then she said oh thats right...i forgot that you have to also go by length of body....so i decided to let the woman have her way....then i decided to go ahead and get the big one, and i measured it at 4 1/2".....im very much hoping its female....i will be so sad if i find out its male....i could not believe how gentle it was...it would let me coax it out of the cup we put it in at the pet store with my fingers gently touching its palps and front toes...still never got fast, or even showed any sign of aggression....also was wondering if since its 4 1/2 inches, wouldnt it be about full grown now? thanks for looking

Last edited:

CFleming

Arachnopeon
I got an Avic. avic today at my LPS also. They guy working knew that I just got my first T. an A. versicolor and they just got this 3" or so A. avic. Mine is sper sweet too. I held her and just fell in love. I know better than to buy from a petstore but this one is pretty good about giving there animals proper care. They even know scientific names.

Good luck with yours. Have you picked a name for her yet. I think I am naming mine Azure.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Imo, it looks female..nice n bulky, and doesn't look like it has hook on its fronts. Pretty good sign of a female if you ask me.

Last edited:

jgod790

Arachnoknight
AVICS GET THAT BIG!?!?!?!?!?!?! AND WOW female have 10 legs, male have 8? WOW pet store knowledge amuses me more and more everyday.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long had they had her? I'm thinking her rump looks awfully large...

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yep they are really awesome...its hard to believe that out of my 51 tarantulas, that she is the most gentle...even more gentle than my rosea....the pet sores around here pretty much just hire idiots that know nothing about critters....and i think that when they get T's shipped to them, they might not know what is coming in til they get it, unless you specifically order it....thanks...i am pretty sure that her, hopefully her, name is penelope...she would be my only T that has a name....although my gf has named my 4-4 1/2" cobalt blue something that i cant say on here...

I got an Avic. avic today at my LPS also. They guy working knew that I just got my first T. an A. versicolor and they just got this 3" or so A. avic. Mine is sper sweet too. I held her and just fell in love. I know better than to buy from a petstore but this one is pretty good about giving there animals proper care. They even know scientific names.

Good luck with yours. Have you picked a name for her yet. I think I am naming mine Azure.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

im really hoping...so did my A. seemani, til HE molted mature...

Imo, it looks female..nice n bulky, and doesn't look like it has hook on its fronts. Pretty good sign of a female if you ask me.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

yeah i had to look up the legnth on wikipedia cause i couldnt remember....they get like 4 1/2"-5 1/4"....yeah really i should take my millipede in and ask if they can sex it for me......haha

AVICS GET THAT BIG!?!?!?!?!?!?! AND WOW female have 10 legs, male have 8? WOW pet store knowledge amuses me more and more everyday.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

im not really sure....yeah i thought so too...would be totally awesome if she pops out a sac....not my luck though...

How long had they had her? I'm thinking her rump looks awfully large...