Never underestimate a Tokay Gecko

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:rolleyes: Ok, I went and bought a Tokay Gecko the other day and I brought him home and thought it would be a snap to introduce him to his new enclosure - oh yeah, sure it was!!! I almost had him in his tank when he lit the afterburners and turbocharged clear across my bedroom and dove under a bookcase....this began a two day hunt to retrieve him as he raced all over my apartment - I spent most of the time down on my hands and knees or wriggling around on my stomach trying to apprehend him.

I finally cornered him in my bathroom and got my hands on him to which slipped loose and I accidentally grabbed him by his tail which he promptly autotomized leaving me with part of his tail twitching in my hand....I then nailed him by the toilet and he barked at me three times ( Bark! Bark! Bark! ) and bit me on my thumb and refused to let go even when I place him in his tank.I had to wait till HE decided to stop fanging me ( kind of funny actually as he did not break the skin )

He is now in his enclosure and I am sore as hell.My knees are all raw from the carpet, and my legs ache from crawling around.This little Bast--- put me thru hell trying to recatch him....

Never underestimate the speed of a Gecko!!!!!!!!!!!

=D The Evil Spider Hunter

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah and they have got one heck of a bite on them too. one bit me and wouldn,t let go for around 15 minutes

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
gotta love those tokays and their attitudes! I have had one for years (since 95) and it has calmed somewhat so I can get pretty close to it when I clean and change its water dish......but if I get too close it will bark and run and hide. every summer I let one go in my garage to eat escaped crickets, widow spiders and whatever else it can find.
Ed

Sicarius

Arachnopeon
When I lived in Tx. I would release geckos around the house to control the roaches and swarms of mosquitoes that entered the house every time you opened a door.

Amurtigermaster

Arachnopeon
you think the adults are bad you should see how the babies act I just had two hatch and they are a handfull but any time i get the chance I try to handle them but they just like the adults bite bark and run

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OMG! I never thought of that! We have water bugs around here, or wood roaches if you will. Gonna go out and get me a few Tokays now :D I know they are coming in through the garage, so ill release them in there. Im sure they'll do just fine in this Texas heat.

You think that's bad? Try having a half grown iguana chomp on ya, ouch!
My son also got bit by my adult male Iguana while he had some crackers sitting on the floor eating them, Nikko (my iguana) decided he wanted some too, regardless of the fingers in the way, lol. It wasnt pretty, but my son was fine, and Nikko was still as sweet as can be :)

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hah now you see why these lizards come pre stamped handle with extream caution lol Dont worry to much abut the tail it will re grow soon enough , Atleast you did manage to re catch him many ppl have lost there new pet this way, People just dont expect a bite like that from such a little fellow

Enjoy your new pet as im sure it will enjoy a peace of you anytime it can get it :rolleyes:

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love tokays... they are the spunkiest lizards out there. I like geckos as a whole but tokays stand out because of their vocal ability and their bites... good story and a lesson learned huh.

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there's a lot of this creatures (tokay gecko) here in philippines.

colorful, but packs a nasty bite :evil:

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
these are fast creatures with a bite worse than it's bark. im going to get one someday. :)