Never ceases to amaze...

rattler420

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
jumping spiders have always intrigued me. they r what made me get into spiders & t's really

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
what in the heck? lol

wonder what kind of mic they were using, I'm sure the sounds are fairly inaudible to human ears unless you get right up on them. Cool video :)

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey that video is a joke....she is sleeping and he is knocking to wake her up. you can hear her snoring...then he gets mad and just starts beating her to wake her up...lol
watch it again

moose

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what in the heck? lol

wonder what kind of mic they were using, I'm sure the sounds are fairly inaudible to human ears unless you get right up on them. Cool video :)
I would have to guess that the edge of the screen is touching the mic. You are not hearing sound of the male hitting the screen, but the sound of the screen physically scraping against the mic casing.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you saying that the spider is making those sounds?! :eek:

Black Widoww88
Its thumping and vibration is causing vibration thru the screen which in turn becomes both the amplifier and the record needle. At least thats what Im seeing/hearing. ;)

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
makes me think of that video where the guy blows up a balloon and attaches a mic (i forget how exactly) then lets a tarantula walk on it. you can hear the pattern of the spiders steps as it moves. could do the same thing with jumpers, would just need a more powerful mic i guess.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is amazing! I knew about the patterns of the steps in the courtship rituals but I never actually got to here what they sounded like! It's amazing that they sound like something humans would do when they open or close a door.

This is why I find spiders so interesting, because they're full of surprises!

Black Widow88

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
makes me think of that video where the guy blows up a balloon and attaches a mic (i forget how exactly) then lets a tarantula walk on it. you can hear the pattern of the spiders steps as it moves. could do the same thing with jumpers, would just need a more powerful mic i guess.
was the guy brittish by any chance? I saw last night a tarantula documentary showcasing their abilities and in pursue of the blind spider that lives in mexican caves and then the guy hunts the world's biggest tarantula "T. blondi" in a forest. The show had the funny "spiderman" tone to it and even interviews Stan Lee at the end to talk about his opinion on how amazing spiders are. I caught it once it had started so I don't know the name of the show but it was very entertaining :} especially when the guy encounters a wandering spider labeled as the most venomous of all spiders and starts to sweat bad {D still, he poked it with some tongs to show how non shy and aggressive to bite quickly they are.

The balloon trick was to show how loud and aware tarantulas perceived every movement surrounding them. They also placed a mature male to mate with a female to show what happens when females are not in the mood to mate and he ends up getting fanged and eaten. I don't know if you guys get the same channels we do but here it was in channel 3 (PBS) if you have Adelphia.

damn I wish I'd knew the name of the documentary, I'd like to see it again.

Last edited: