Nest questions

jmyers0731

Arachnopeon
Hi guys I'm new here and new owner to a Johnsons jumping spider female I caught outside. She is big and beautiful. She has a very large abdomen and is making a very thick web nest. Is there a way to tell if she is going to molt or lay eggs? He terrarium will not hold babies due to size of slats in the lid. Also is there a good way to start training for holding? She is giant and I am slightly intimidated 😄

Attachments

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Hi guys I'm new here and new owner to a Johnsons jumping spider female I caught outside. She is big and beautiful. She has a very large abdomen and is making a very thick web nest. Is there a way to tell if she is going to molt or lay eggs? He terrarium will not hold babies due to size of slats in the lid. Also is there a good way to start training for holding? She is giant and I am slightly intimidated 😄
Yep! That looks like an egg sac. I would recommend putting her terrarium into a larger container that closes well, so when the babies come you can catch them and release them. Although you can hold your jumpers, I avoid it because it stresses them out, and they are pretty small and fast, so they get lost easily. I don't know the husbandry for this species, but make sure she has some water. I personally like to use a pipette to drop some water in, but a bowl works fine too :)

jmyers0731

Arachnopeon
Yep! That looks like an egg sac. I would recommend putting her terrarium into a larger container that closes well, so when the babies come you can catch them and release them. Although you can hold your jumpers, I avoid it because it stresses them out, and they are pretty small and fast, so they get lost easily. I don't know the husbandry for this species, but make sure she has some water. I personally like to use a pipette to drop some water in, but a bowl works fine too :)
She like to just have me mist the sides

jmyers0731

Arachnopeon
She like to just have me mist the sides
Sorry wasn't done. Ya she is wrapping the eggs right now and her abdomen has shrunk by half the size. I am looking for something to put the terrarium in. Will she die after raising the eggs? I saw that sometimes they can lay more than one batch but I am unsure if this is her first or not.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Sorry wasn't done. Ya she is wrapping the eggs right now and her abdomen has shrunk by half the size. I am looking for something to put the terrarium in. Will she die after raising the eggs? I saw that sometimes they can lay more than one batch but I am unsure if this is her first or not.
Apologies for the late reply, I didn't get a notification for some reason. She won't die immediately after her eggs hatch, but since she is an adult and wild caught, it's hard to tell how long she will live for. I have heard of spiders making multiple egg sacs, but I believe they aren't typically all viable.

Jumper

Arachnosquire
Congratulations!

If you need to adopt out some of your slings.
Send us a IM/DM.
We'd happily to take some off of your hands.

P.S
I wouldn't handle her. She'll be guarding her nest.
I'd wrap some mesh over the terrarium slates so the babies won't escape.

I hope this helps.

-Jumper