Nervous about my first Tarantula purchase.

Noob123

Arachnopeon
Get a NW, G pulchripes.

I don’t believe that at all. Maybe your tons equaled to 15 mins.

Tons of research would have revealed a NO on OWs instantly, even on stupidtube.

people who have done research have told us “know OW is not good for first T”
<edit> I dated finikan for almost a year and helped her take care of hers so I think I can manage. Just looking for some tips, not smart Alec replys

Last edited by a moderator:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I dated finikan for almost a year and helped her take care of hers so I think I can manage.
Congratulations. Are we all supposed to know this without you mentioning it? I don't have "ability to read minds" on my list of special skills.

your initial post sure didn't imply that you thought you could manage a P. Murinus.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Viper is blunt, but he's experienced and very willing to share his knowledge. Grow some thicker skin and stop picking fights with someone who's only trying to help. You'll also want to take the cuss word out of your post, it's against the site TOS and a mod will edit it if you don't

Noob123

Arachnopeon
Congratulations. Are we all supposed to know this without you mentioning it? I don't have "ability to read minds" on my list of special skills.

your initial post sure didn't imply that you thought you could manage a P. Murinus.
if you don't have anything to contribute you can actually keep scrolling. You don't HAVE to reply. Crazy I know

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
if you don't have anything to contribute you can actually keep scrolling. You don't HAVE to reply. Crazy I know
Doesn't take talent to take care of a spider but ok do go on.
You wouldn't be nervous if it didn't take skill.

Noob123

Arachnopeon
You wouldn't be nervous if it didn't take skill.
Should read some of the other posts. Just don't want to kill it. Go somewhere else with your nonsense. You guys are never any help when people ask. Kinda ignorant really

Sorry,
You’ve asked for it, and many responded with genuine answers. I see no problems. Not a single one.
good for you, again with the unhelpful posts. You guys are legit nauseating

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
It's not very likely that OP will be convinced to buy a NW no matter what we say, so here's a few tips and facts about my experiences with OBT's:
Housing:
-House the spider in a larger container than you would normally. This spider loves to spread the webbing around, grows into the enclosure fairly fast and will reduce amounts of rehouses that you have to do.
-They like to burrow, but they also like to extend their webbing outside of their burrow. So, house like you would house a normal fossorial (Deep substrate, at least a few times the spider's legspan), but a little higher ceiling so when the webbing inevitably gets extended, it doesn't web the lid which results in a very angry spider whenever you open the lid.
-They like to start their burrows under objects. Pieces of wood or pieces of bark will work. They will usually pick the tightest spot they can find and start building from there.
-Webbing anchors - branches, fake plants - so the spider can stick it webbing to objects scattered around and feel secure.
Keep substrate dry, and provide a water dish.

Behaviour:
-If housed correctly, its a very skittish spider, which darts into the burrow at the slightest disturbance. If housed incorrectly, you'll meet a very angry spider 24/7, which it shouldnt be.
-LOVES to eat. My OBT chased after my camera shutter whenever i tried to photograph it. Kind of a scary experience.

Rehouse:
This is the riskiest phase of your OBT keeping. I always make a detailed plan when i have to rehouse my OBT's and i have a few trial runs to see how i would do in each situation. But sometimes this isnt enough. If you have a slight flaw in your rehouse plan, and you think "Eh, the chances of spider knowing about this flaw is small". It knows. 8/10 times the OBT went for the one gap i had in my rehouse plan, so be very careful of this and always have a plan B if things go south.

That said, good luck with an OBT. They aren't as scary as their reputation says, but they can be very intimidating and stressful if you jump head first with them.
It still isn't too late to turn to a calm, beautiful NW.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Sorry, good for you, again with the unhelpful posts. You guys are legit nauseating
Have fun finding somewhere better for info then! Try Facebook, they'll tell you to walk it on a leash and cuddle it daily, maybe that's more your speed. Hope the mods close this thread, soon, clearly we've hit an impass here

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
All the back and forth aside, have you considered any other species that may be easier to manage or a good candidate for a display spider?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I've been doing tons of research
If you've been doing a ton of research, as you claim to have, you would have known the reaction that this post was going to get. So either you're just trolling or you didn't do as much research as you claim to have.

Noob123

Arachnopeon
You guys are ridiculous. Keep posting, I'm unwatching. Literally just wanted some tips. That's it. Bye.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Too docile. Not interested.
Let me introduce you to my two then. My 5 inch dls T. albopilosus will bite you before you even noticed her move. No threat pose no nothing just instant bite in less than 1 second.

My 4 inch one will literally leap at you and I'm not talking about a 1 inch distance leap either.

Docile???? Heh...not my two little brats no.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
About the whole tong thing. What if you rigged up some chopsticks? Ts would be less likely to break fangs if they're biting into wood, right?

Let me introduce you to my two then. My 5 inch dls T. albopilosus will bite you before you even noticed her move. No threat pose no nothing just instant bite in less than 1 second.

My 4 inch one will literally leap at you and I'm not talking about a 1 inch distance leap either.

Docile???? Heh...not my two little brats no.
That sounds great. Actually, I got Curly Hairs mixed up with Rose Hairs. Rose Hairs are the boring ones that get a bad rap.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
About the whole tong thing. What if you rigged up some chopsticks? Ts would be less likely to break fangs if they're biting into wood, right?
Well not at all say that ytube is reliable but Martin at birdspidersch said that a wood stick would not harm the tarantulas fangs. He seems reliable enough.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
That sounds great. Actually, I got Curly Hairs mixed up with Rose Hairs. Rose Hairs are the boring ones that get a bad rap.
They are no different than mine and most NW tarantulas. You can get a docile one or you can wind up with one that is very defensive. Their temperament can change from molt to molt as well.

My 5 inch albo as soon as it hit 3 inches is when the temperament changed from skittish to highly defensive.

It would come flying out of it's burrow stopping just at the entrance into a threat pose. One time it came to the entrance, stuck it's body most of the way out, turned sideways to face me and rear all the way back displaying her fangs.

I remember all the post in the past of new keepers that just have to handle their T's. In fact it was like a wave of them one week after the next. They had no inkling of what could happen. From slinging their T across the room due to instinctively reacting if it ran up their arm to getting urticating barbs on them to getting bit.

Tarantulas don't always go into a threat pose before biting. I remember my 5 inch albo instantly spinning around and tagging the paintbrush in my hand. Shaking it when I touched one of her back legs with it when trying to get her to move off her water dish.

I'm no one to tell anybody what to do with their tarantula that they spent their money on. However I believe it is the members' responsibility to best inform new keepers that are not aware/informed of many aspects of owning tarantulas.

Last edited: