Nerve Problem?

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks to me to be really stressed out, you could try putting her in a closet for about a week and dont bother her at all.
my obt acted alot like that when i got him. i put him in the closet for a while and he improved a lot. i keep him on top of my bookcase so hes not disturbed much or he gets stressed really bad.
i could be way off its hard to make a call watching 60 seconds of video but i would try everything before i would freeze her. ive had a few i come close to giving up on but they ended up making it.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have had a rosea do the same thing.she died a month later.might have ben a molt problem.i would not handle her till she eats again.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Did it moult very recently? To be honest, that looks to me quite as much as a newly moulted T that hasn't hardned up yet and gets freaked.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Did it moult very recently? To be honest, that looks to me quite as much as a newly moulted T that hasn't hardned up yet and gets freaked.
I don't know, it has a pretty full abdomen.

Which has me thinking, why put it down? While it may be excessively jumpy when you poke her, why not just leave her be? She's obviously eaten, as she has a full abdomen, does she normally just hang around and get jumpy like that? Give her a water dish, and just don't handle her.

What substrate do you have her on?

Alicemolted

Arachnopeon
ok, she molted about a month ago, we have been trying to feed her for the last 9 months, with no luck at all, she does have a water dish, you just cant see it in the vid, and thats the 1st time we have bothered her since way before the molt.
she has been like this for about 8 months in all, she has been getting worse over time.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
A molt and 9 months starvation? With a full abdomen like that?:liar:

-Sean

Alicemolted

Arachnopeon
yes, it may sound weird, and her abdomen was fuller than that aswell. i was told that because of a nerve problem she cannot eat, but a molt is a natural occurance.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Try something, take a long thin rod, and see if she will strike with her fangs, or even move them at all. Did she used to defend herself?

-Sean

Alicemolted

Arachnopeon
not at all, she runs away from things... she runs away from crickets or lucusts, we even spotted one sitting on her before.. iv never seen her strike, we've dropped them infront of her aswell.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
honestly, the way she moves doesn't look normal, certainly not for a t that has had time to harden up after a molt. on the other hand, her abdomen looks ok - so i would not put her down until her allover appearance decreases drastically. just keep her dark, and warm, and unbothered.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, i would keep her in a dark warm area, and for food maybe every so often put a prekilled cricket in, and see if she eats it

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Also, if I was to put a sceptics opinion in there, I don't see any really clear evidence that there's anything neurological going on. It see the bunching, and strange gait, but the gait could be explained by the tarantula trying to bunch and walk. There's a non-neurological explaination for that (it's trying desparately to hide and run and hasn't quite established which it's doing at the moment).
I'd expect the worst, but hope for the best. I don't think you should put it down at the moment (freeze it) but keep watching for outward signs of a parasite. There could be some fluid movement issues internally which are giving this effect as well - a sign that there's something growing inside maybe.

All hypotheses, of course.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
looks like the movements i have seen labeled dyskinetic syndrome. which is a fancy way of saying something or things goes wrong and the symptoms are walking like that

might want to search and or google "dyskinetic syndrome"

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
looks like the movements i have seen labeled dyskinetic syndrome. which is a fancy way of saying something or things goes wrong and the symptoms are walking like that

might want to search and or google "dyskinetic syndrome"
Dyskinetic means "moving abnormally", and syndrome means "subject has this problem" (kinda, in hand-wavy terms).

So yes, your tarantula has 'diskinetic syndrome'... maybe (depends if this is actually abnormal. It looks abnormal, but the tarantula might be trying to hide/run at the same time)... but that's not very helpful. We don't know what's causing the diskinetic syndrome. In humans there is a neurological cause, because that's where our movement comes from, but in tarantulas there is also potential for internal parasites and hydrostatic problems (fluid balancing). So it's not that simple.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dyskinetic means "moving abnormally", and syndrome means "subject has this problem" (kinda, in hand-wavy terms).

So yes, your tarantula has 'diskinetic syndrome'... maybe (depends if this is actually abnormal. It looks abnormal, but the tarantula might be trying to hide/run at the same time)... but that's not very helpful. We don't know what's causing the diskinetic syndrome. In humans there is a neurological cause, because that's where our movement comes from, but in tarantulas there is also potential for internal parasites and hydrostatic problems (fluid balancing). So it's not that simple.
no, i know i didnt actually tell what is wrong. i am just saying there seems to be a class of problems and that is the common label for it, to fascilitate researching further

incidentily in all the other cases i have seen where the spider walks like that, they are seemingly incapable of normal walking anymore. prognosis is bad, incidentily.

Alicemolted

Arachnopeon
so theres a) scared and trying to hide b) diskinetic syndrome or c) something inside her..
i haven't seen any of my friends tarantula's move like this when they run away and she never walks like that on my hand (don't worry iv only handled her about 2-3 times) so im duobting it's that.
there's so many factors it could be and i know it's hard to diagnose her with something.
i will try and keep her darm and relatively warm but i know they dont like to be over heated and i'll try the locust. it's not nice to think that maybe i'm keeping her alive whilst she may be suffering though. but she has been like this for months so its worth a try.
it is odd though how i posted a post about what was wrong and freezing her and many people were favouring the idea.. but after people actually have seen her they come up with not killing her.

thank you though to everyone who is trying to help.
x x x

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
In respect to her not eating that is not abnormal, as rosies are know to go on extended fast for inexplicable reasons.

Have you seen any jerky, spasmodic or uncontrolled leg motions, that tends to be another indicator to dyskinetic syndrome.

Thought the scrunched up appearance tends to indicate stress.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it has to be your choice, the only reason i say wait is my adult rosea spent close to six months not eating. slowly got to the point that she would not move no matter what other than an occasional twitch. once a week she may of moved an inch or 2.
i tried everything, was about to give her up for dead. she molted and was back to normal. so you never know. you have to do what you feel is best. if you really feel she is suffering and not going to recover than you should freeze her. ive had to put pets down a few times, no spiders yet.
not trying to tell you what to do, rosea's are strange spiders. trying to figure them out is hard cause they do some really strange things sometimes. i think they are just not quite right in the head.