Nephila senegalensis, pictures!!

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi! I got this beauty yesterday. First thing she did was starting to molt. During the night she's made a nice web in my window/plants/curtain.

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hehe, thank's man´! Yes they are really cool. Another cool thing is that my girlfriend didn't say anything about having it hanging in the window.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So how do you go about trying to convince the spider to make her web right where you want it? Did you just let it loose around the curtains or in the plant or what?

Jake

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
your a lucky devil...
though I thought I saw an american dealer selling these awhile back... maybe Glades Herp??? anyone know where to snag one in the US?

loosey

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just put it in the plant and in the morning it had made its web. They usually don't climb very far to do their webbing and at first I didn't see it, but a few seconds later I found her climbling my curtain.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
looseyfur i got a few in fla for free they are all around i gave mine to jcohen though maybe he will send it to u, u should pm him

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
looseyfur i got a few in fla for free they are all around i gave mine to jcohen though maybe he will send it to u, u should pm him
I thought these can only be found in sub-saharan Africa and in the Gambia area. I know there are tons of Nephila sp. in Fl, but senegalensis? If they are in Fl, they're not native.

Jake

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ummm... man I dont know how I would feel about that living outside a cage in my house... you have more balls than I.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well mine looks exactly like that
but it does have a rounder abdomen

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Deliverme314
Ummm... man I dont know how I would feel about that living outside a cage in my house... you have more balls than I.
Nah, free-range orb weavers are great. I had a nice A. aurantica living in my computer room last year. They just stay in their web and wait for you to feed them. Totally harmless.