Nephila care - some questions from a noob

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Hi guys.
Not so much of a noob any more.
Here's a video of one of my girls (Nephila madagascariensis) at 8 weeks old:

And here's another of the same female at 4 months old - what an amazing size difference:

I don't usually handle them, but was rehoming in both cases and just couldn't resist ;)
Beautiful spiders! Looks like your hand is shaking with the big one.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
IMG_6427.JPG Thanks. She is lovely. I've put her in a large ECL tank for just now. It's pretty tall, which is most important. I'd ultimately like to let her free in a corner of the house, but for some reason the others in the house aren't too keen on it - well, horrified would be a better word haha

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
I love their long legs! Such beautiful creatures :)
My first spiders. Really enjoying them. I'm wondering what to get next .....

Previous post with the picture of the set-up was for Chanda, forgot to hit quote :banghead:

AntoineGJ

Arachnopeon
What about an Heteropoda lunula for your next spider ? They look amazing and are arboreals.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
What about an Heteropoda lunula for your next spider ? They look amazing and are arboreals.
Very nice. I am open to all suggestions. It's my birthday coming up and I'm looking to expand my little fam.

They're stunners but are absolutely rapid.
Hmm ... I have a very rapid dog that loves to sit and watch my bugs. She'd be straight onto any escapees, at floor level of course :happy:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Very nice. I am open to all suggestions. It's my birthday coming up and I'm looking to expand my little fam.

Hmm ... I have a very rapid dog that loves to sit and watch my bugs. She'd be straight onto any escapees, at floor level of course :happy:
She wouldn't catch it. Mine makes my pokies seem slow.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight

Be prepared for escapes if you end up getting H. lunula, lots of escapes

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
I live with two girls and they can't even walk past my Nephila enclosures without hugging the wall and quaking with fear, so maybe not the best next species for me, lol. I've also been toying with the idea of pygmy chameleons (as well). Any idea of any members who might have experience on that front?

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
Update - the ECL tank was a complete fail. I thought that with two sides being perforated, and a stick, she would be able to make a web. But she never did. They seem to need to lay a network of threads across more surfaces. You could see many failed spots of web on the clear plastic sides of the tank. So I bought a larger mesh cage. After one night, she had made a beautiful golden orb web. I was so happy. IMG_6524.JPG

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
I introduced a male to a female's enclosure today, so here's a photo and a little video for comparison with the female. Good luck Sir, you're going to need it.

Female:
IMG_6425.PNG

Male:
IMG_6562.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
Oh well, that happened quickly. I put him in there and he was straight over and started tapping a little drumbeat on her butt. I thought, great this is going to happen. So I went to grab a cup of tea and come back and get a video, but by the time I got back he was running away with a little smile on his face and she was fiddling with 'bits.' Maybe he's a bit camera shy, or just quite keen on not getting eaten. Damn. Well, at least he's got the moves - maybe I'll get that video yet.
:banghead: :happy:

IMG_6592.JPG

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
RIP little man. You had some big cojones. So .... um .... any advice on dealing with egg sacs?