Nepenthes pitcher plant

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Here's an old picture of my Nepenthes pitcher plant. I miss keeping these! Could anyone ID the species of this plant too?

IMG_3338.PNG

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That's not ventricosa. Looks to me most like Nepenthes alata. Nice plant, though, and clearly well cared for.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Thanks! Wish I still had it. What do you do with these guys in the winter?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Thanks! Wish I still had it. What do you do with these guys in the winter?
That depends on where you live and what the species is. Lowland species like it constantly warm and humid, highland species like a night drop in temps and can tolerate lower daytime humidity (for the most part--I bet cloud forest species are less tolerant of lower daytime humidity), few species are frost hardy (though Nepenthes villosa and one other whose specific name I forget may be exceptions).

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I live in CT where the winter weather could be harsh. Do you think some LED's would keep it alive in the winter?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
We are in California, in this climate we can leave these sp. outside in winter for dormancy.
It is true that they do fine in CA in winter, but keep in mind that they don't have a dormancy, being equatorial rainforest plants. If you keep constant conditions that Nepenthes like they'll do just fine.
I live in CT where the winter weather could be harsh. Do you think some LED's would keep it alive in the winter?
In short, yes, but the amount of light necessary depends on the species. Are you planning to make a terrarium? If you were to get alata, ventricosa, or sanguinea, those are known for being very easy. See also this thread for other easy species: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/super-easy-nepenthes-to-grow-t4387.html