Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Nepenthes pitcher plant

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by Ratmosphere, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoking Active Member

CT
    Advertisement
    Here's an old picture of my Nepenthes pitcher plant. I miss keeping these! Could anyone ID the species of this plant too?

IMG_3338.PNG

2. biteycat666

biteycat666 Arachnopeon

Ventricosa, maybe? I have a few pitcher plants and they're so neat.

3. Ratmosphere

CT
    Thanks! And I know right?

4. That's not ventricosa. Looks to me most like Nepenthes alata. Nice plant, though, and clearly well cared for.

5. Ratmosphere

CT
    Thanks! Wish I still had it. What do you do with these guys in the winter?

6. That depends on where you live and what the species is. Lowland species like it constantly warm and humid, highland species like a night drop in temps and can tolerate lower daytime humidity (for the most part--I bet cloud forest species are less tolerant of lower daytime humidity), few species are frost hardy (though Nepenthes villosa and one other whose specific name I forget may be exceptions).

7. spotropaicsav

spotropaicsav Arachnobaron Active Member

We are in California, in this climate we can leave these sp. outside in winter for dormancy.

8. Ratmosphere

CT
    I live in CT where the winter weather could be harsh. Do you think some LED's would keep it alive in the winter?

9. It is true that they do fine in CA in winter, but keep in mind that they don't have a dormancy, being equatorial rainforest plants. If you keep constant conditions that Nepenthes like they'll do just fine.
    In short, yes, but the amount of light necessary depends on the species. Are you planning to make a terrarium? If you were to get alata, ventricosa, or sanguinea, those are known for being very easy. See also this thread for other easy species: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/super-easy-nepenthes-to-grow-t4387.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ratmosphere

CT
    Thanks man!

11. spotropaicsav

spotropaicsav Arachnobaron Active Member

What @schmiggle said

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.