Neoholothele Incei - Trinidad Olive/Gold Behavior & Care?

Alchemax

Arachnopeon
care sheets are bad because they are either offering bad info, of info that's just way too specific. For instance you see things like:

temps need to be between 75 and 80----no, anything between 70 and 95 are fine for almost any t, many can even be kept cooler.

humidity needs to be between 75 and 85%----no, humidity isn't even relevant, much less specific numbers...these numbers get chased and the t suffers.

They are a hardy species---well almost all ts are hardy, this quality isn't anything special to any specific t.

The species should be misted x times a week---no, misting isn't ever necessary, but when you do, it should never be on a schedule, it should be on an as needed basis...do it too much during a humnid time of year in your area and you will create a frog enclosure.

The species should be housed with 4-6 inches of substrate----well no, the amount of substrate will be dictated more by the enclosure than the species.

etc, etc, and so on.
Somehow missed your message in between-- thank you for this. A lot of this is stuff I have seen over and over. Seems like certain things about caring for tarantulas are either way easier or much more specific than most of these care sheets make it out to be. At this point, I think I'll just check care sheets to see how big the spider ends up growing, LOL. Not much else.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you for the photo!!! It's beautiful!
What are the differences between it and incei? Is it larger, less skittish? It's gorgeous.

I will only be starting with one tarantula, so don't need to worry about too many water bowls ;)

The moss comment was as an example for tarantulas in general. Some others on this thread have mentioned that the webbing means live plants don't do so well with incei. But gotcha on that too.

I think for me, my biggest struggle with finding the right species so far is that I want a relatively small sized NW tarantula. By small I mean less than 5 inches /12 cm fully grown. Something docile that I also find beautiful, because its appearance is important to me as well! I want one that is striking and beautiful to look at when it comes out of its shelter (be it web or cork den).

Another tarantula I find really pretty, that is a small New World, is the pumpkin/munchkin patch, / Hapalopus sp Colombia. However, it seems like pumpkins are pretty skittish and speedy too.
If you have any recommendations for a very small new world tarantula, let me know! I can't guarantee I'll end up going with it, but I certainly appreciate any advice given! :)
Not larger, equally as skittish IME. Also, they are more delicate to raise. There is something about humidity I think that is the issue.

I can tell you having raised 2 different localities of Hapalopus (there are at least 3 in the hobby. The smallest is sometimes called the Lemon Patch- Hapalopus triseriatus . I haven't raised one yet. But sp Large and sp Small are equally as fast and nervous as incei.

The only main difference w/incei is that while incei is a ferocious eater IME, I find Haps to be even more ferocious. The PPatches even as small as 1/4" and LESSS will take a prey item larger than itself- LIVE prey, not prekilled. I haven't seen incei or other species to be as ferocious as the Patches.

As you may know the Patches are one of the few Ts that has adult colors as slings- that is extremely rare. They grow very fast like incei.

The only issue with small Ts, is they produce SMALL slings that are challenging to raise. I have some that are truly microscopic. Some of smaller species are among the slowlest growers out there. Finding prey items for small Ts is not easy, usually have to kill the prey. They also dehydrate pretty quickly too relative to incei or the Patches- the pumpkins are extremely hardy, like a GBB.

Species out of Cyriocosmus genus are much smaller than incei, so are their slings!

Alchemax

Arachnopeon
care sheets are bad because they are either offering bad info, of info that's just way too specific. For instance you see things like:

temps need to be between 75 and 80----no, anything between 70 and 95 are fine for almost any t, many can even be kept cooler.

humidity needs to be between 75 and 85%----no, humidity isn't even relevant, much less specific numbers...these numbers get chased and the t suffers.

They are a hardy species---well almost all ts are hardy, this quality isn't anything special to any specific t.

The species should be misted x times a week---no, misting isn't ever necessary, but when you do, it should never be on a schedule, it should be on an as needed basis...do it too much during a humnid time of year in your area and you will create a frog enclosure.

The species should be housed with 4-6 inches of substrate----well no, the amount of substrate will be dictated more by the enclosure than the species.

etc, etc, and so on.
Sorry, didn't see your message before! Thank you very much for the response. I've seen so much of that over and over and over in care sheets-- glad to know most can be ignored. Seems like taking care of a tarantula is both simpler and more specific than most care sheets make it out to be. I'll only be using them to see how big the spider ends up growing, LOL.

If you can fork out $420 for a single spiderling then they are great :p

Yea lol It was a joke, they do seem quite mellow as a dwarf T but they seem prone to dying for "no reason", especially as slings which is all most of us could afford. Your mention of pumpkin patch is probably the next best species, i think they look very adorable. C.Elengans is definitely my favourte dwarf for its golden heart shape on the abdomen
WOW that's expensive. So so beautiful though. Kinda wish you weren't joking originally LOL.

The only issue with small Ts, is they produce SMALL slings that are challenging to raise. I have some that are truly microscopic. Some of smaller species are among the slowlest growers out there. Finding prey items for small Ts is not easy, usually have to kill the prey. They also dehydrate pretty quickly too relative to incei or the Patches- the pumpkins are extremely hardy, like a GBB.

Species out of Cyriocosmus genus are much smaller than incei, so are their slings!
Hmm, okay. Maybe a bit bigger species will be better for me, then. I am a very tiny person (I am 5'5" and 100 lbs-- and a healthy adult, lol), so I was worried about trying to rehouse or feed a tarantula that is way bigger than my hand. I definitely do not want anything huge, but maybe something 5 or 6 inches? That "pet rock" golden knee is definitely super pretty. There are so many species to consider, aaah!!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just looked it up-- oh my god that thing is beautiful!!! Seems like some people find it aggressive though, lol. Can't tell if that's an earnest wink or a tricky one!!!
I am willing to bet they're crazy expensive. They look like something from another planet. So pretty
For some reason, they are very sensitive to humidity levels it seems, meaning if not humid enough they die- at least that's what I've read.. We have someone on here who keeps them w/plants to help maintain humidity. This person bought a few, and one of them died right on the spot pretty much. As they are the only known arboreal trap door tarantula, they are also pretty selective about their requirements for making a hide and trap door.

I've seen one in person, a female, and they are very small. She was small enough to fit on my thumbnail. I can only imagine how small mature mails are.

Sorry, didn't see your message before! Thank you very much for the response. I've seen so much of that over and over and over in care sheets-- glad to know most can be ignored. Seems like taking care of a tarantula is both simpler and more specific than most care sheets make it out to be. I'll only be using them to see how big the spider ends up growing, LOL.

WOW that's expensive. So so beautiful though. Kinda wish you weren't joking originally LOL.

Hmm, okay. Maybe a bit bigger species will be better for me, then. I am a very tiny person (I am 5'5" and 100 lbs-- and a healthy adult, lol), so I was worried about trying to rehouse or feed a tarantula that is way bigger than my hand. I definitely do not want anything huge, but maybe something 5 or 6 inches? That "pet rock" golden knee is definitely super pretty. There are so many species to consider, aaah!!!
You are far larger than the largest T hahahaha.

G. pulchripes is an excellent T! And AFs get to be nice sized. Not as interesting to observe for eating compared to incei. I turned down incei for decades. Then received some -- I can tell you - I was missing out, wished I'd bought them back in the 90s.

Alchemax

Arachnopeon
You are far larger than the largest T hahahaha.

G. pulchripes is an excellent T! And AFs get to be nice sized. Not as interesting to observe for eating compared to incei. I turned down incei for decades. Then received some -- I can tell you - I was missing out, wished I'd bought them back in the 90s.
Aah, sorry, I'm still trying to learn (and more importantly, remember) all the scientific names-- AF is what again?
I love g. pulchripes, so I'm starting to lean into that more. I also really love Arizona Blondes.
And I'm glad you've enjoyed having the incei!!! Maybe, as it seems like they aren't the most fitting starter, I can get some in the future after my first tarantula. They are sooo beautiful and those tunnels are so so cool, oh my gosh

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aah, sorry, I'm still trying to learn (and more importantly, remember) all the scientific names-- AF is what again?
I love g. pulchripes, so I'm starting to lean into that more. I also really love Arizona Blondes.
And I'm glad you've enjoyed having the incei!!! Maybe, as it seems like they aren't the most fitting starter, I can get some in the future after my first tarantula. They are sooo beautiful and those tunnels are so so cool, oh my gosh
Adult Female

There's quite a few small species out of S. America, especially Chile.If docile is an issue, you will find availability better with larger species. The few that are really docile are small generally, and in the USA, very hard to come buy lately, like H. chilensis.

Alchemax

Arachnopeon
Adult Female

There's quite a few small species out of S. America, especially Chile.If docile is an issue, you will find availability better with larger species. The few that are really docile are small generally, and in the USA, very hard to come buy lately, like H. chilensis.

OH. Well, awesome, now I know what AF means, LOL. Those photos of your tarantula are sooo pretty. I love the little red fade on her butt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Damn viper69, I've been wanted a gold form for a while now...now I might have to pull the trigger! Was actually thinking of trying a communal set up.
Communals - not good for these- plenty have tried and ended up with one big incei.

moespaws16

Arachnopeon
I’m new. The Olive is my 4th T.
They’re Deff skittish and even vibrations in the room around them can send them darting away. When rehousing, be extremely patient and do the rehousing somewhere quiet with no drafts. Lol, srsly, try not to breathe on them.
They are not a spider that would (IMO) be an enjoyable handling experience. I feel like the spider would be terrified and it would just be all bad.
The only spider of mine I’ve handled is my Versicolor sling because he runs up my arm every chance he gets. I use the term “Handling” loosely because it mostly just me getting him back in his enclosure.

spiderman336

Arachnopeon
This, everyone gets gassed up over the golds but I think they look really plain next to the olives.

I have a 1.75 inch to 2” olive. Supposedly female, I her in a 6x4x4 inch enclosure with 2”-2.5” of substrate. You think it’s a lil small? I have added a cork bark hide with a started burrow. Just don’t want to keep destroying the webbing ( started webbing today after the rehousing ) from the bottom of the lid

Attachments