Neoholothele incei questions

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I am looking to buy (some) N. incei in the near future. Now I know they like to burrow and web up the place, preferring moist substrate, but I was wondering what would be the enclosure size sufficient for an adult female. I am getting a juvie most likely but I am curious so that I now what to look for when I need to rehouse.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Thanks, what is the length and width of that enclosure?

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Thanks. I house my Hapalopus sp colombia in a 20 x 15 x 12 cm container. Would that work for an adult N. Incei?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just my two cents: with this species and most dwarf species, I like to give larger enclosures than what are really needed. Dwarves tend to be very skittish, and a larger enclosure reduces the risk of an escape.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Thanks. I house my Hapalopus sp colombia in a 20 x 15 x 12 cm container. Would that work for an adult N. Incei?
That might be a little too small. Could you post a pic of the enclosure you are planning to use.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
That might be a little too small. Could you post a pic of the enclosure you are planning to use.
You mean depth? Since 15cm x 20cm and 17x17cm are almost the same surface wise. I am not getting an adult but a smaller one (2cm body length) so this is purely hypothetical.

louise f

Arachnoangel
You mean depth? Since 15cm x 20cm and 17x17cm are almost the same surface wise. I am not getting an adult but a smaller one (2cm body length) so this is purely hypothetical.
Oh i get it, yes it should be just fine. ;)

cold blood

Staff member
Just my two cents: with this species and most dwarf species, I like to give larger enclosures than what are really needed. Dwarves tend to be very skittish, and a larger enclosure reduces the risk of an escape.
Agreed. Incei are both very fast, and very active hunters, give them more room to work as opposed to less...now you don't want to go huge, but bigger than you might expect for a 3" t.

They need depth to burrow, yes, but they don't need massive depth either, they're small, they can burrow extensively in just a few inches of sub...I think mine's on about 3" of substrate. It was plenty deep enough for her to seal herself in her underground cavern and lay a healthy sac for me.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You know, people talk about N. incei burrowing, but mine just never has. I wish that it would. It seems like if you provide plenty, and I mean plenty of webbing anchor points, it creates a "burrow" out of webbing. Something to consider.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Another example of the odd things that happen in your home re: Ts. :cool:
Still working on that cure for cancer in my T. stirmi's enclosure.

Come now, there's no way I'm the only one to experience this. Anyone?

louise f

Arachnoangel
You know, people talk about N. incei burrowing, but mine just never has. I wish that it would. It seems like if you provide plenty, and I mean plenty of webbing anchor points, it creates a "burrow" out of webbing. Something to consider.
Maybe it think it is an aboreal:D Joking:p Never heard of that they never burrow:)

cold blood

Staff member
Still working on that cure for cancer in my T. stirmi's enclosure.

Come now, there's no way I'm the only one to experience this. Anyone?
The male I had didn't burrow really, just webbed the crap out of the area and had all kinds of tubes to hide in. The MM I used also did not burrow, but just created web tubes on the surface.